IGNORED

If and 1100 has has had worn splines replaced, is it more likely to happen

DougMcK

I've found an R1100RT that I like for good irrational reasons. It needs the brakes gone through thoroughly, and I'm up for that.

But, on going through it's records I saw that about 3k miles ago (it now has 34k) it had its clutch and input shaft replaced.

That's kind of disturbing. What's the prevailing wisdom about whether this is more likely to happen again to this bike? Might this bike have in-built misalignment that's hard on the splines? Might it just have been a "soft" set of splines the first time around?

Thoughts?

Doug

I've found an R1100RT that I like for good irrational reasons. It needs the brakes gone through thoroughly, and I'm up for that.

But, on going through it's records I saw that about 3k miles ago (it now has 34k) it had its clutch and input shaft replaced.

That's kind of disturbing. What's the prevailing wisdom about whether this is more likely to happen again to this bike? Might this bike have in-built misalignment that's hard on the splines? Might it just have been a "soft" set of splines the first time around?

Thoughts?

Doug

Get ready to man your wallet in about another 30K (+ or-) miles.

Afternoon Doug

No way to really know without seeing/testing the removed failed parts.

Not a lot of spline issues on the 1100 bikes but there were a few.

31K miles is about the spline failure timing of a misalignment so that (trans to engine misalignment) sure is a future possibility.

If you don't already own it then you are taking a big chance to buy it with it's failure history. It might have been a fluke but probably a much better chance that it will fail again on that bike. (way too many 1100RT's that don't have a spline failure in their history for sale to buy one that c-o-u-l-d fail again)