IGNORED

'03 Shift lever adjustment

Rat Puke

I need to adjust the shift lever on a new to me oilhead. I've already stuck my head underneath and did the cursory inspection.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Morning Rat Puke

There is an adjustable link between the shift lever ball & the trans stub shaft lever ball.

(caution!) You need to remove the retaining clips before can pull the ball socket link off of the pivot balls.

Be sure to grease the balls & sockets up before reassembling.

Just remember that you can't adjust the lever so far that it hits the end of the slot that it sits in or it won't shift correctly.

shift%20linkage_zpsgngrnzik.jpg

Edited by dirtrider

There is an adjustable link between the shift lever ball & the trans stub shaft lever ball...

(caution!) You need to remove the retaining clips before can pull the ball socket link off of the pivot balls.

Thanks for this wisdom... The picture of the little clip probably saved me an hour of cursing. I am a tall rider and I dropped my footpegs about an inch. I was able to adjust the brake lever, but had been puzzling over the shift lever.

Here is a datapoint that might help somebody else avoid cursing: My adjustable link was engaged by ten turns. I initially set it longer so that I had only 4 turns engagement, but that caused interference with the slot in the side plate as mentioned in the earlier post. So, after some trial and error, I ended up with 6 turns engagement. In other words, I backed it off 4 full turns from the factory setting. On my bike, a 2004 RT, that was the lowest I could set the shift lever and still have full authority.

Cheers, Cap