IGNORED

UNRally XVI 2017 - Where?

TyTass

Isn't there some kind of technology where you put in a picture of the horizon and it tells you where you are? That is way above my pay grade, I do well to log in. Could be we have the location posted already in that case. Might even be some secret code embedded in it.

Base on the latest mountain recognition technology it has been determined that the picture posted above is a once hidden mountain range recently discovered in central Kansas.

Knowing the UnTeam assembled I am not assuming the background posted is actually the location of the event, could be to throw us off, just saying.

Terry

Base on the latest mountain recognition technology it has been determined that the picture posted above is a once hidden mountain range recently discovered in central Kansas.

Here is Mount Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas at 4039 ft. Looks like a hoot for riding :bike: . We'll see you all there. :rofl:

PVz2nXG3TuVTvPJR2ViIcxIlDqqDyBFCZ6irVKZKKFA4rvZEpBT5hXLfFu9vRcw3y_hPVEd7T_5lyg=w2560-h1440-no?.jpg

Knowing the UnTeam assembled I am not assuming the background posted is actually the location of the event, could be to throw us off, just saying.

Terry

Could be, but then again, it might not. It could just be a background chosen because it had mountains in it. There, does that help?

Edited by TyTass

I'm going to need more clues. So far we've got West of the Atlantic and East of the Mississippi. Hmmnn, can I have another clue? Is it South of Ohio and North of Fla.? I'm looking forward to it. The clue and the UN too.

Here is Mount Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas at 4039 ft. Looks like a hoot for riding :bike: . We'll see you all there. :rofl:

PVz2nXG3TuVTvPJR2ViIcxIlDqqDyBFCZ6irVKZKKFA4rvZEpBT5hXLfFu9vRcw3y_hPVEd7T_5lyg=w2560-h1440-no?.jpg

Or this? Panaroma Point.

147360013992.jpg

I'm going to need more clues. So far we've got West of the Atlantic and East of the Mississippi. Hmmnn, can I have another clue? Is it South of Ohio and North of Fla.? I'm looking forward to it. The clue and the UN too.

Um ... ok, how about south of the Old Line, but north of "the Gold Town."

So that means south of The Mason-Dixon and north of Georgia.... still a big area.

Edited by ltljohn

So that means south of The Mason-Dixon and north of Georgia.... still a big area.

But narrowed down, and that's the game ... to continually narrow it down ... right? Not, going to just give it away in 2 or three steps. :whistle:

The 1830’s gold strike drew gold prospectors into the southern Blue Ridge Mountains on North Georgia in hordes. The mountain town Dahlonega in Lumpkin County became the gold capital and mint of the United States of America. "

Further north than Dahlonega. Kinda far for us old guys. ;)

Have you been to a rally? It's all old guys. :grin:

Yeah, but old is a relative term. :old::bike:

I know. It's all the others, not us!

It would be nice to know what state it's in, can't imagine that people would try to guess the exact location and pester the host based on that. For me if it's in the southern states I can just forget about it now (too hot & humid) but if it's in the northern tier I'll keep it on my radar.

It would be nice to know what state it's in, can't imagine that people would try to guess the exact location and pester the host based on that. For me if it's in the southern states I can just forget about it now (too hot & humid) but if it's in the northern tier I'll keep it on my radar.

Bob, you seem to be operating under the delusion that there is a North/South dividing line for humidity back east. :rofl: Heck, I've been in Upstate NY and have seen over 90% humidity. I assure you there is no lat/long where the humidity lessens markedly.

Humidity back east depends on time of year, but even more so the prevailing weather patterns. And that is why we chose late June. While no guarantee we won't have heat and/or high humidity all across the east coast, or the mid-west, the chance is reduced.

But then again, UN X 2011 was held in the 2nd week of August, yet at Little Switzerland we had average daytime temps of about 78-84 degrees with moderate humidity. Even in the valleys it didn't even get to 90. However, out west at the same time, the temps were out of control and many people cancelled due to the heat between them and Little Switzerland.

So, if you're asking me to predict the weather ... well ... :ohboy:

The key thing to remember is of course elevation. Generally, in the Appalachians one can ride most of the day above the heat.

I don't know what to tell you other than we'd really like to see you.

Edited by TyTass

The sooner we know, the better we can plan the journey to visit friends, family, brew pubs, and that kind of thing. Weather conditions (hurricanes, tornadoes, snow are obvious exceptions) have never been a deterrent for us. Humidity is like getting a workout without really trying. Lived in MS long enough to find work elsewhere. Went to the southwest.

We'll be there. Two of us.

The sooner we know, the better we can plan the journey to visit friends, family ...

Humidity is like getting a workout without really trying. Lived in MS long enough to find work elsewhere. Went to the southwest.

We'll be there. Two of us.

Agreed about humidity! LOL

As to the knowing sooner rather than later ... see EffBee's post in the Announcement thread. We're not just playing around for no reason. Everything must be in place prior to the venue being revealed. It's all in work, my friends.

Glad to have you both.

Edited by TyTass

While on the way to, or from, or perhaps during the UN, visit this film location where Hawkeye, Uncas and Chingachgook battled Magua and his men ... though without the fence.

i-MtStzPp-XL.jpg

While on the way to, or from, or perhaps during the UN, visit this film location where Hawkeye, Uncas and Chingachgook battled Magua and his men ... though without the fence.

Nice "hint" looks like we will be in NC to me - perhaps the Biltmore Estate?

"Despite the film taking place in upstate New York, according to the film credits, it was filmed mostly in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Locations used include Lake James, Chimney Rock Park and The Biltmore Estate. Some of the waterfalls that were used in the movie include Hooker Falls, Triple Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and High Falls, all located in the DuPont State Recreational Forest. Another of these falls was Linville Falls, in the mountains of North Carolina. Scenes of Albany were shot in Asheville, NC at The Manor on Charlotte St."

Edited by Endobobdds

Nice "hint" looks like we will be in NC to me - perhaps the Biltmore Estate?

"Despite the film taking place in upstate New York, according to the film credits, it was filmed mostly in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Locations used include Lake James, Chimney Rock Park and The Biltmore Estate. Some of the waterfalls that were used in the movie include Hooker Falls, Triple Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and High Falls, all located in the DuPont State Recreational Forest. Another of these falls was Linville Falls, in the mountains of North Carolina. Scenes of Albany were shot in Asheville, NC at The Manor on Charlotte St."

Excellent, Bob. Well, except I only said one can travel to this site from the UN. It doesn't mean it's adjacent to it.

While on the way to, or from, or perhaps during the UN, you can visit this waterfall, which is rare in that two separate creeks create two waterfalls that flow into the same gorge, nearly side by side.

i-W9dqGGt-XL.jpg

Black River Falls West Virginia ?

If you meant Blackwater Falls WV (in Davis WV), the pic below shows falls, and it comes from one river ... the Blackwater (imagine that, eh?):

DSCN0081-XL.jpg

I dunno. Doesn't look like an RT or GS road, but it'd make a helluva good trials section or two.

Let's get Danny. He'll trials anything!

:thumbsup::beer:

While on the way to, or from, or perhaps during the UN, you can visit this town that is the only town along the Appalachian Trail where the trail runs down Main Street and is apply marked on the sidewalks.

Maggie%20Valley%20Trip%20032-XL.jpg

Looks like a great place for an UN! :grin:

https://www.nchotsprings.com/

Nicol and I just went through there yesterday on the way home from FART. It's a quaint little town. But, it's smaller than it might appear. I don't think they have accommodations that could handle a larger group like the UN.

Looks like a great place for an UN! :grin:

https://www.nchotsprings.com/

Nicol and I just went through there yesterday on the way home from FART. It's a quaint little town. But, it's smaller than it might appear. I don't think they have accommodations that could handle a larger group like the UN.

They have a couple campgrounds, a couple B&Bs, and a 12-room Inn. DAMHIK!

While on the way to, or from, or perhaps during the UN, you laugh at rough roads.

phone%20stuff%20117-XL.jpg

Wheels through Time, Maggie Valley?

Edited by ltljohn

While on the way to, or from, or perhaps during the UN, you could hike 1 mile from one mountain to get to this neighboring mountain marker; eponymous in this case.

IMG_1138-XL.jpg

Edited by TyTass

Well we are starting to narrow this down!

"Mount Craig, 6,647 feet (2,026 m), is the second highest peak of the Appalachian Mountains and second only to 6,684 feet (2,037 m) Mount Mitchell in eastern North America. It is located in the Black Mountains in Yancey County, North Carolina. The mountain lies just north of Mt. Mitchell and is within Mount Mitchell State Park and the Pisgah National Forest.

I had no idea what the word "eponymous" meant: Definition of eponymous: of, relating to, or being the person or thing for whom or which something is named : of, relating to, or being an eponym. Craig you are an Eponym! :thumbsup:

Edited by Endobobdds