IGNORED

2006 K1200GT clutch issues

Johnv50

I just purchased this bike and am wondering if other than the noisy clutch at idle If I need to replace the clutch. It seems to shift a little clunky from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 unless I shift at very low rpm. Other than that it shifts fine, no slip, no vibration, and no funny noises off idle in 1st. The Your wisdom is appreciated.....johnv

Dennis Andress

Slant K clutches are clunky, especially when going from neutral to 1st gear. Here is a LONG thread about the clutch

On a different note: The slant K's cam chain tensioner works off oil pressure. On a cold start, while there is little oil pressure, the cam chain can jump a tooth and ruin your day. BMW had a recall a few years ago to add a chain guide which prevents this. It's worth a trip to the dealer to check if your's has been done.

Good info on the link. I had to do my K1200GT (07) clutch at 30,000. Almost $2000, but the dealer said it was guaranteed for as long as I own the bike. Some consolation.

After 3 yrs and 30,000 miles on mine, I can say that now that I have all the recalls and usual problems fixed,it's a wonderful bike. I can only think that BMW didn't really understand what that engine was going to do to the clutch (and shaft bearing, and rear end, and whatever else). When it's running, it's the most amazing thing I've ridden.

Hope you get it worked out.

JB