IGNORED

Oregon vs. Utah

Roadwarrior

Contemplating a ride in early October to one of these states. Looking for twisty roads, beautiful scenery and decent watering holes. Which is best? Coming from the SF Bay area via fire-breathing RT. Love to hear your opinions.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either choice.

Do the Northern CA coast and up into OR,continue up coast and make loop out to Crater Lake,or go north along coast and then east along Columbia River(on WA side)and come back east past Mt Hood then down to Crater Lake and back south.

You could head off today for the Torrey gathering this weekend,to see the best of UTAH,as well as meeting a bunch of folks from this site.

Zion,Bryce,Grand Staircase,Capitol Reef,Natural Bridges,Mokee Dugway all in central and southern UT are not to be missed.

JR356

Just keep in mind that western OR's rainy season cranks up during October. As undependable as long range forecasts are I'd still decide using them as a guide because both states offer great riding.

What is it about Utah that you prefer?

UT has better riding. Better roads, better scenery, less congestion, better mountains, better desert, more national parks, national monuments, etc. This time of year, although getting caught in a snow storm at elevation is possible, better fall color.

I don't think rain is likely in OR until about mid-October, and OR doesn't have passes likely to be closed by snow this time of year, so I might actually consider OR's weather to be the more reliable choice for early-October. But when it's nice, which is usually the case, late September to early October might be the best time of the year in UT.

UT just has more considerably more top shelf roads than OR, IMHO.

Edited by Twisties