IGNORED

Fork clunk?

indy

I had to r&r one of the fork seals on my 02 RT. I did try dr's tranny seal conditioner trick.

It held for awhile but then the leak retuned big time.

When I was buttoning things up. With the bleeder screw out,

I was bleeding the air out of the upper tube and felt a clunk while pushing it

about half way down into the lower fork.

Not real stoppage. More like it was hitting a slight groove. Or maybe pneumatic?

Just wondering if that's normal?

Another stoopid ?. When all is tightened and torqued I can turn the upper tube by hand.

I hope that's correct.

TIA,

Thanks,

Indy

Afternoon indy

Personally I would slide the tube back out of the lower then roll it on a very flat (smooth) surface to make sure it isn't bent.

While it's out also verify the there are no nicks or corroded spots that it is catching on.

That tube should slide in & out smoothly in the normal compression operating range.

Thanks dr. I will open it up again and check.

My suspicion is that's it's bent and been that way for awhile.

I hit a chain a few years ago. Lower fork shows some marring.

But the dealer said the forks were fine.

Won't mention the name but I refuse to set foot in that shop. Which

Shows the amount of trust I have in their word

Thanks

Indy

• 2 weeks later...
Afternoon indy

Personally I would slide the tube back out of the lower then roll it on a very flat (smooth) surface to make sure it isn't bent.

While it's out also verify the there are no nicks or corroded spots that it is catching on.

That tube should slide in & out smoothly in the normal compression operating range.

Good morning dr. I finally had some time to go back in a check the upper slider. I pulled it out and checked it on my workbench.

Seems to me that it's not bent. It was pretty clean but just in case I cleaned it again really good.

The clunk is still there (more like a thunk lol). I looked inside the lower tube and all looks fine.

I did try to mark the upper at where I felt the cluck. Looks like it's clunking where it hits the oil inside the lower. It doesn't take much pressure to push past it.

One thing I did notice. I can make it less/worse if I put a tad bit of pressure towards the front or rear of the bike. I never could make it go away completely.

Not sure if it's a safety issue or not. I ride every day. I can't feel it when I ride. So, I'm not sure what to do. Worry about it or just say MEH and live with it.

Indy