IGNORED

After 35 months of non-use ----

George Brown

My '97 RT has been sitting idle in my garage since October 2013. When I moved it into our new home, I couldn't locate my BT and hence didn't hook it up. Battery was a 2007 BMW Gel. By the time I found the BT the battery was flat and the BT wouldn't bring it back. I have pushed the bike out to my driveway and washed it off a couple times but that's the extent of the maintenance since then.

Yesterday I installed a new Motobatt MB51814 which fit perfectly and the bike fired up with less than 5-seconds cranking but it had a fuel leak on the right side. After removing right side tuperware found a small leak at a hose connection above the FI. Tightened the clamp and leak stopped. Bob, my brother-in-law, took it out for about 30-minutes and reported that it stalled a few times (my guess is old fuel). Not bad after almost 3-years non use. BTW, I use Sea Foam in the fuel.

Yes, congratulations. If you left that old fuel in there for 35 months, that was a big mistake. Seafoam is a good product but it will not magically make stale, old, gummy fuel new again. You need to get all that old fuel out of there ASAP, and not by using it in the bike.

George,

The ethanol in gasoline is the problem with a lot of engines. Ethanol is a water based alcohol and will settle out if left sitting still for very long. It then causes a gummy residue in fuel systems that is not soluble in gasoline. This gum is the real problem for carburators and fuel injection systems.

You might try a product called STAR-TRON by Starbrite, an enzyme fuel treatment that supposedly eats this gummy residue. I've used it for years in all my "yard engines" (that sit for days) of various ages and ancestry, to good result. Its kinda like stabil but retroactive also. Walmart has it in the sporting goods area under outboard motors accessories for about $9. Says it treats 128 gals per 8 oz bottle. Looks like a bottle of the old Aquavelva aftershave.

I'd try it before more expensive, invasive options.

Lowndes

Well, I think George was posting less about his need for ethanol solutions and posting more about the resiliency of a beloved albeit temporarily neglected machine. Sometimes life gets in the way, yet the RT awaits like an old faithful dog.

Well, I think George was posting less about his need for ethanol solutions and posting more about the resiliency of a beloved albeit temporarily neglected machine. Sometimes life gets in the way, yet the RT awaits like an old faithful dog.

Yes, quite poetic!! Makes me think about my trusty steed waiting patiently for me. But ethanol won't!!

:thumbsup:

Perfect.