IGNORED

Suspected battery issue clarification please

Alba

Hi,

I have a 1150RT '02, it has not been ridden in a few weeks due to crown bearing collapse which I have repaired and will write up later.

I went to start her up and I got a intermittent regular buzzing sound from the relay/ fuse box area and the ABS did not set, lights would not come on and it would not start.

I suspect the battery is flat is this the likely root cause?

I currently have it on a Optimate 4 and bottom left symbol is red so adds to my battery theory.

Thanks for any input, keen to know the issue rather than waiting two hours before trying again.

Cheers

The only ID i can see on the battery in position is MF and I have had the bike 3yrs never replaced the battery and no idea when the previous owner replaced it.

After 2 hrs on the optimate the ABS sets and no buzzing noise but the bike does not start, on turn over sounds like a machine gun. Multi-meter indicates 10.5 V.

Alba, am not familiar with the Optimate charger. I do know that my BatteryMINDer brought back "from the dead" an old Odyssey PC680 that I had tried several other chargers on without result. This charger has a "desulfator" exactly for AGM's.

http://www.batteryminders.com/12v-charger-maintainer-sealed-agm-lead-acid-batteries

The old PC680 is now happily running a friends old R75-6. I had already bought a new PC680 before trying the BatteryMINDer on it, sadly, but that charger made a believer out of me.

If your battery is an AGM (absorptive glass matt), sealed type, as most good motorcycle batteries are now, you might want to get this charger. It will charge my AGM better than the bike can. Also, their website has some very educational information about types of batteries, optimal charging rates, maintenance, etc for all types of batteries.

I got it on amazon for $90 USD. I am not affiliated with them except as a very satisfied customer

Sounds like a dead battery to me too.

I can recommend Tayna as a battery supplier in the UK. Next-day delivery and a great range of products - I have used them for several years now and have always been impressed. No affiliation other than as a satisfied customer.

Andy