IGNORED

FUEL ISSUE 2003 R1150RT

PAS

THIS IS A RE-POST FROM THE MOA FORUM:

Yesterday I thought I would give my bike a treat to some ethanol free fuel plus 1 oz. of Star Tron fuel treatment. Rode the bike 20 miles and parked it for the day. Today I noticed that when I HOT Start it I get the loud crack from pre-ignition like I use to get when trying 87 octane fuel (Thanks Paul Glaves). I just called the station and was told the ethanol free gas is 90 octane.

Would the 90 oct fuel be the problem?

Bike has 26K, I have been using 93 Oct gas with ethanol and the bike has never had the timing checked. it does have the AF-Xied installed.

THIS IS A RE-POST FROM THE MOA FORUM:

Yesterday I thought I would give my bike a treat to some ethanol free fuel plus 1 oz. of Star Tron fuel treatment. Rode the bike 20 miles and parked it for the day. Today I noticed that when I HOT Start it I get the loud crack from pre-ignition like I use to get when trying 87 octane fuel (Thanks Paul Glaves). I just called the station and was told the ethanol free gas is 90 octane.

Would the 90 oct fuel be the problem?

Bike has 26K, I have been using 93 Oct gas with ethanol and the bike has never had the timing checked. it does have the AF-Xied installed.

Morning PAS

Probably not the octane or the alachaol free fuel directly.

More than likely the adaptives in the fueling computer caused by the alachaol free fuel changing the adaptives due to the way the o2 sensor reads lambda.

My 800 does that little (but at higher RPM's than starting) after filling with 90 octane alachaol free fuel but it goes away in a day or two of riding.

Or try a battery disconnect for about 30 minutes, then re-connect, then a new TPS relearn (that will start your adaptives out from scratch) (or clear with a GS-911 if you have access to one)

Thanks DR, I will figure out a work around since getting to the battery is no fun and I cant siphon much more fuel out by design of the tank. Sure is an ugly sounding WACK with this high compression engine!

Is there a way around the battery thru the fuse box?

Thanks again

Morning PAS

What I say battery disconnect (poor choice of words on my part) that is just removing Motronic fuse #5 (that disconnects battery power from the Motronic)

On the 1200 heaxhead & camhead you really do need to disconnect the battery as there is no fueling computer fuse to remove.

Thats easier! I'm getting too old to remember those things, it does sound familiar now.

Thanks again!

I got the fuse pulled. It would have been nice if BMW put a diagram under the fuse box lid for a reference.

Edited by PAS