IGNORED

Torrey Check In

ArizonaAl

Al & Angie made it home safe and sound-- It was a great scenic ride home-- It was great to see everyone and hope everyone has as good a trip home as we did.We will have to wait for Spring for another Torrey fix!

On Sunday I went from Torrey to Montrose, CO for some business on Monday morning. After some meetings Monday, I rode over to Whipville North in Salida. Today (Tues) I rode back to Torrey, and Wed at the crack of dawn I head back to SoCal. A wet ride out has turned into day after day of brisk mornings and glorious sunshine. If you weren't there, you missed out.

Arrived back Monday at 6:00pm.

Great to see everyone!

View from room at the CW.

HI Larry. What time did you leave?

9:40 AM PST

:wave:

Just got in an hour ago. No rain until 20 miles from home. Pull over and spend 20 minutes putting on rain gear? Get real. I mean, it's only water.

As usual, it was great seeing you all! :wave:

Went from Torrey to Montrose, CO for some business. Then over to Whipville North in Salida. Today I rode back to Torrey and Wed I head back to SoCal. A wet ride out has turned into day after day of brisk mornings and glorious sunshine. If you weren't there, you missed out.

UPDATE: Home safe and sound. The old 99RT continues to amaze, just like my last one did. Now have 56K on the odo (bought it a few years ago with 14k on it) and it never missed a beat. Mile after mile after mile of comfort. This was a relatively modest trip at 2200 clicks in 4 days of riding and 4 days of socializing. But a lot of it was riding through Nowhere UT, and Almost Somewhere, CO, to get to the places where my friends were. And my Boston Green Baby just motored on, cornered like it was on rails, and got me as high as 48mpg (admittedly, riding gingerly one morning trying to avoid deer), though normal is around 42-44.

In Torrey, the Simpsons (Michael and Jamie) showed up in their Polaris Slingshot and let people take test rides (drives???). It corners like a Go Kart if you use the steering wheel, and like a World of Outlaws sprint car if you use the loud pedal. Hoot! They also brought up a ton of pulled pork that Michael had smoked, so we added Kings Hawaiian Rolls, Mrs. Whip made mucho beans, we bought 10 lbs. of cole slaw from the Chuckwagon Deli, and Killer brought over enough tortilla chips to start his own Mexican restaurant. We stripped the Whips' cabin of chairs, coffee tables and recliners, most of which ended up on the porch, and the CW loaned us some Costco-type 6' plastic tables which got L-shaped into a walk-through pot luck in the Whips' living room. Outside, in addition to the newfound porch furniture, picnic tables were lined up and everyone ended up with a place to sit and eat. There was lots to talk about, and the camaraderie covered us all like a thick, warm blanket against a cooling Utah night. Ultimately, not an empty belly was to be found. And there were leftovers!!! Lots of leftovers!!! I heard much of it got consumed on Sunday by the cabin's latent dwellers (I was gone to CO by then), and what wasn't was parceled out to the housekeeping staff and the maintenance crew. Best tip they've ever received. Happy people all around!

By Monday night, the lone stragglers were in Salida at Whipville North, joined by Bill Ferran (Roadscholar), who's working on some kind of project that consistently forces him to ride off-road in some of the country's most scenic locales. How he suffers for his work! The hospitality in Salida was incredible, the laughter reverberating, and Lady Louise cooked up a superb!!! dinner for six that included a triple-serving Spinach dish. Yum!

Torrey has always been a special place for its tranquility and the abundance of great roads and world-class scenery. But mostly, for the friends, old and new, who travel to gather there. This one was no exception.

By Monday night, the lone stragglers were in Salida at Whipville North, joined by Bill Ferran (Roadscholar), who's working on some kind of project that consistently forces him to ride off-road in some of the country's most scenic locales. How he suffers for his work! The hospitality in Salida was incredible, the laughter reverberating, and Lady Louise cooked up a superb!!! dinner for six that included a triple-serving Spinach dish. Yum!

A tough job but somebody has to do it. :)

Torrey has always been a special place for its tranquility and the abundance of great roads and world-class scenery. But mostly, for the friends, old and new, who travel to gather there. This one was no exception.

+1 What Fernando mentioned is so true.

A few photos from last weekend...

Went for a short hike Saturday morning with David, Hickman Bridge Trail. Only 2 plus miles up and down. Worth the views.

353_zpsbx3rnsjv.jpg

357_zpsn1wiywon.jpg

361_zps9y0lzrrl.jpg

364_zpsw7kgoqoi.jpg

352_zpsywvyajbl.jpg

Whip mentioned the Gooseberry-Fremont Road was newly paved and opened from the Johnson Valley Reservoir to I-70.

On Saturday afternoon I rode over only to find out a low cloud cover and slush/ice on the road up near Mt. Terrill (11,547').

The cold o-meter went off on the bike and snow flake icon went on blinking. I turned around...

365_zpsraz5wzwj.jpg

On Sunday morning rode over to Hanksville via. 24. through Capitol Reef National Park. Love that rode, despite the occasional RV.

Only stopped to take a photo of the Behunin Cabin, 13' x 16.5'. Hard to imagine 13 kids with 2 adults occupied it.

373_zps2ft9evll.jpg

Later on in the afternoon I decided to try the Goosberry-Fremont again. It was warmer and the skies were clear.

The intention was to go over to I-70 then continue back on Sweeper Madness (hwy72) It worked out. 145 mile loop. Great loop!! Thanks Whip!

374_zpsppyw92on.jpg

View of Zedds Meadow

377_zps2xsjpnt0.jpg

It was a great weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Al, Pat and John. In hindsight, I think the photos weren't posted correctly. I just put them in the Check In post and not in a separate post.

Pat, next time you're out this way make sure you ride this road.

It makes a really good Torrey loop.