IGNORED

Ideas for replacing the rotting sheathing on wiring harness

SmokinRZ

I have started my winter maintenance and I have the tank off and was wondering what to do about the rotting sheathing on the wiring harness? Ideas? Thanks

I have started my winter maintenance and I have the tank off and was wondering what to do about the rotting sheathing on the wiring harness? Ideas? Thanks

Evening SmokinRZ

Personally I usually use the automotive grade split convoluted loom covering. It is high temperature resistant, comes in different diameters so can be sized to about any wire harness size, slides on easily as it is split, & lasts a long time.

A lot of automotive companies use it as OEM wire harness covering so it is well tested & has proven long term automotive usage .

Split Wire Loom Covering-click here

Hi DR. What sizes should I be looking for the R1100RT?

Morning Eckhard

Depends on what part of the harness that you are covering. Just measure the harness at the largest diameters of the area that you are working on.

I have rolls of different sizes so just use what fits the areas that I am working on.

TechFlex customer service will send you 3 samples about 6" long for free if you just ask. Ask for 3 different sizes, then order the one(s) you'll need from the FleaBay link I provided above. 1/2" is what I ordered and it worked fine for most everything. I also used Rescue Tape and small zip ties to neaten the ends. Unless you have a hot knife, there will be some fraying at the ends.

FYI

The Oilhead generation bikes are the first boxer bikes from BMW compliant with then-new EU regulations that automotive wiring harnesses be easily biodegradable.

This applies not only to the sheathing around bundles of wires but also to the colored insulation on each individual wire.

Of course you'll inspect each individual wire as you replace the harness sheathing.

PS: See the reason for CANBus?