IGNORED

How to connect wiring so my extra lights come on with key

greenrider

Hi

I am adding two extra led lights and would like if someone could tell where an easy place is to connect into so the lights come on when the key is turned on.

I have a wiring harness that has a relay and switch.

I have the two main wires connected to the battery.

Now I need a way to connect to a wire that has power when the key is turned on.

If there is a wire under the seat I could connect to would be the easiest.

Any input or site you could point me to would be appreciated.

Thanks

Evening greenrider

If you JUST want the aux lights to come on (& stay on) with the key on then you can connect to the output side of fuse #1.

If you would rather have the aux lights come on with key-on but go off during engine cranking then back on again once the engine is running then connect to the output side of fuse #4.

You can buy a simple little metal clip to slide into the fuse slot under the fuse tang to make a simple connection (probably available from your local auto parts store).

The parking light at the front headlight - usually a grey wire with a black tracer - will go ON with the key and will go off when the load shed relay turns the lights off during start. If you tap that wire for the Aux Light trigger wire on the relay you will get the function you're looking for.

The parking light at the front headlight - usually a grey wire with a black tracer - will go ON with the key and will go off when the load shed relay turns the lights off during start. If you tap that wire for the Aux Light trigger wire on the relay you will get the function you're looking for.

Morning Michaelr11

Are you sure that the side light (parking light) goes off with the loadshed relay?

I don't have a wiring diagram handy at the moment but if I remember correctly the side light (gray/blk wire) is powered through fuse #2 & fuse #2 circuit does not go through the loadshed (load relief) relay.

I know a lot of riders do power their aux lights from the side light wire as it goes off/on with the ign switch but I don't think it goes off during engine cranking.

Morning Michaelr11

Are you sure that the side light (parking light) goes off with the loadshed relay?

No doubt about it - at least for the R1100RT. I have additional lights mounted under the oil cooler and they are triggered by that grey-black side light wire. They absolutely go off when the starter motor is engaged.