IGNORED

brake bleed screw

JamesW

I somehow got volunteered to have a look at a guy's 2000 K1200LT to find out why it looses front brake fluid from the reservoir. Took about a millisecond to find the pin hole leak in the line running from the front brake master cylinder to the junction block located under the front of the fuel tank. The owner ordered a new line from BringMoreWallet which I will install and do a brake bleed/flush.

My question is what is the fitting which is obviously not a bleeder screw on the right front brake assembly located where one would expect to find a bleeder screw? I removed the fitting which required a heat gun as it was put in with red loctite. Luckily I had a couple new speed bleed screws which I had bought for the brakes on my '93 R1100RSL which has the same Brembo brakes as this light truck.

I have no experience with the K1200LT having never owned one. If I were the owner of this 833 pound mechanical wonder I would certainly replace all brake lines ASAP or I would most definitely sell it and buy a real motorcycle instead of a pick-up truck on two wheels. :rofl: Sorry but I just couldn't resist expressing my humble opinion of this two wheeled chariot.

Edited by JamesW

Afternoon James

That is the factory fill plug (brake system was originally filled & back flushed form that plug hole, then plugged off).

There was a BMW service bulletin to replace that plug with a standard bleed screw if required but most were left in place so the owner would return to the dealer for future brake service.

Suggest you use a vacuum bleeder or a hand pump style bleeder rather than doing the old squeeze on a bike of this age.

You may be opening a can of expensive worms by breaking thru the "crud line" inside the master.

And yes, have the guy replace them all as next to go will be the left caliper line.

Suggest you use a vacuum bleeder or a hand pump style bleeder rather than doing the old squeeze on a bike of this age.

You may be opening a can of expensive worms by breaking thru the "crud line" inside the master.

And yes, have the guy replace them all as next to go will be the left caliper line.

I don't own a vacuum bleeder or the hand pump unit and personally have never had need of one on the other hand I flush my brakes annually and I don't own a light truck that would take a crane just to remove the gas tank. I finished this K bike last night and judging from the nasty that came out especially the rear brake I'm probably the first one to ever bleed and flush these brakes. The bike only has about 26K miles and has obviously never been taken care of. If it were my bike (thank god it isn't) I would remove all body parts including the fuel tank and get busy with some Simple Green, kerosene, and a bucket or two of hot water and a scrub brush. Then I would order a Spiegler brake line kit along with a new fuel filter and in tank fuel lines. I would also send the injectors out for cleaning and testing and check valve clearances. The bike recently came down from Alaska and it looks it. The owner just moved here from that state of mind. If it t'were me I would have left the bike there.

As a side note: I recently flushed the brakes on my 2010 FJR1300A and was appreciative that the bike comes stock with speed bleeders unlike some over priced and over rated machines I could mention.

I have no experience with the K1200LT having never owned one. If I were the owner of this 833 pound mechanical wonder I would certainly replace all brake lines ASAP or I would most definitely sell it and buy a real motorcycle instead of a pick-up truck on two wheels. :rofl: Sorry but I just couldn't resist expressing my humble opinion of this two wheeled chariot.

You mean like this?

wimg.1.1475460907-img_0427.jpg

...sometimes a man just needs a truck...

josh

Yeah right. Maybe I'm showing my age here but before I would waste my money on a sidecar rig like that I'd just go buy a car and NO, it would not be a BMW!

Wouldn't be a Yamahaha either only because they don't make cars. :D

Be prepared for a phone call in the future with the bikes owner now having an issue with master cylinder(s) by-passing or leaking.

The fuse has been lit.

Yeah right. Maybe I'm showing my age here but before I would waste my money on a sidecar rig like that I'd just go buy a car and NO, it would not be a BMW!

Wouldn't be a Yamahaha either only because they don't make cars. :D

You're a ray of sunshine James :)

...and I'm glad you like our new rig!

If you get volunteered to look into the friend's fuel related problems later, I've got an extra set of in-tank hoses and clamps (but you'll have to wait until I can get them out of storage, which might not be until February).

Be prepared for a phone call in the future with the bikes owner now having an issue with master cylinder(s) by-passing or leaking.

The fuse has been lit.

Just not a-gonna happen not in this lifetime. Owner picked it up tonight and I declined any payment for my time and labor (8 hours) and he re-imbursed me for my speed bleeders. I told him what a POS his LT is and that imo it is not a bike that lends itself well to DIY maintenance. He asked what bike I would recommend for an older touring bike that is good quality and reliable. I told him that I am and always have been a sport touring aficionado but for a great value older touring bike I would look for a Yamaha Venture Royale. Of course I would take my FJR to just about anything but that's a sport tourer. Only reason I keep my '93 R1100RSL is because I have a sentimental attachment to it and it is pristine with only 6700 original miles all put on by me and it's my last BMW. And to tell the truth she out handles my FJR but not by much! No, not by much!!