IGNORED

Windscreen for 2up?

James L.

I know people usually do not have opinions about two windscreens on their bike, but I would like to get opinions on windscreens for two up.

I purchased a 2011 RT, and my wife isn't digging the buffeting on the interstate. I was wondering if there is a windscreen that will reduce the amount of turbulence she is encountering?

It is important for me to find something that will make her more comfortable.

I'm a short guy, using the short seat, and could really lower the bike more, but will not due to stories I've read about lowering a RT. She is quite higher than I on the bike.

James L

I've been holding off on advice since I have nothing specific, model-wise. That being said, I have lots of experience with different screens trying to find an ideal ones for my FJR and EX650.

Taller isn't always better. Neither is positioning your screen to a more vertical position. Certain screens will produce a super annoying backwash when they are too vertical. You'll find this backwash hits and buffets the back of your head.

I have had the best luck with Cee Bailey models with the reverse curve, though not on a BMW.

I've been holding off on advice since I have nothing specific, model-wise. That being said, I have lots of experience with different screens trying to find an ideal ones for my FJR and EX650.

Taller isn't always better. Neither is positioning your screen to a more vertical position. Certain screens will produce a super annoying backwash when they are too vertical. You'll find this backwash hits and buffets the back of your head.

I have had the best luck with Cee Bailey models with the reverse curve, though not on a BMW.

Thanks for the insight. The screen is going on a BMW, but any insight is better than no insight.

Not sure what I'll go with. She isn't going to ride this winter, so I have some time to figure out what to try.

James L

I have the stock and a Cee Bailey large screen. My GF doesn't notice the difference.

Good luck.

Interesting, does she get any buffeting?

James L

James:

I have a 2006 R1200RT and I ride two up fairly often with either my wife or my daughters. I have a Cee Bailey Large on mine, and they have complained about not enough wind/air getting to them (during summer months). They have been on all kinds of roads and none of them complained about buffeting, noise etc. They use a Shoei Multitec. When my eldest daughter and I made a road trip from Akron, OH back to Raleigh, NC I asked her about noise, buffeting etc, and she had no complaints. I will say that my wife is 5'1", eldest if 5'4" and the middle one is 5'2" and I am only 5'8" so we are on the short side. Plus Cee Bailey's are extremely reasonable in regards to price compared to other screen out there.

Hope this helps

Mike

James:

I have a 2006 R1200RT and I ride two up fairly often with either my wife or my daughters. I have a Cee Bailey Large on mine, and they have complained about not enough wind/air getting to them (during summer months). They have been on all kinds of roads and none of them complained about buffeting, noise etc. They use a Shoei Multitec. When my eldest daughter and I made a road trip from Akron, OH back to Raleigh, NC I asked her about noise, buffeting etc, and she had no complaints. I will say that my wife is 5'1", eldest if 5'4" and the middle one is 5'2" and I am only 5'8" so we are on the short side. Plus Cee Bailey's are extremely reasonable in regards to price compared to other screen out there.

Hope this helps

Mike

Thanks Mike, looks like Cee Bailey may be the way to go. Plus I hate the Aeroflow shape. Makes BMW's looks stupid after install.

Did you use the standard arms on the windscreen, or aftermarket aluminum/stainless?

James L

Edited by James L.

Please check out the V-Stream by Natonal Cycle. Sold under the Z-Technik brand, these get much wider at the top and of you see the profile, they have the "euro" kick up that allows them to protect like a screen taller then what they really are. They are offered in 2 heights.

They are also very sleek looking, not barn doorish at all.

Not sure if they still offer the satisfaction guarantee but they did for years.

If the screen wasn't what they claimed, they would take it back no questions.

Most BMW dealers sell them or you can order direct .

I had a Cee Bailey but gave it away when I tried the Z Technik on my R1100RT.

Hey James, don't discount Parabellum, Charly has been building Beemer shields for decades, all the way back to Craig Vetter days. And the good news, he is just across the border from ya. I have had a few of his over the years. Nothing to lose in trying. Also bear in mind, some issues are not solvable, just saying.

http://parabellum.com/

Terry

James:

In regards to the arms. I replaced my lower arms with the aluminum ones from BMWboneyard. I plan on replacing the uppers in the spring. It was a personal choice, I am sure there are plenty of people here that have the stock arms without nary an issue.

James:

In regards to the arms. I replaced my lower arms with the aluminum ones from BMWboneyard. I plan on replacing the uppers in the spring. It was a personal choice, I am sure there are plenty of people here that have the stock arms without nary an issue.

Thanks Mike for all the information.

I planned to upgrade the arms just for security sake.

James L

I have the stock and a Cee Bailey large screen. My GF doesn't notice the difference.

Good luck.

Interesting, does she get any buffeting?

James L

No. She does not get buffeting. She said she gets too much wind still. She got her own ride (although the three wheel variety). :thumbsup:

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I use the BMW low seat and find the stock BMW screen to be brilliant for me. However when I took a friend over to Belgium for the day she complained about the amount of wind she was getting, because it misses me completely :-). Even with the screen fully up she didn't like it. That said she even complained about the original rear seat, yet I have half the padding and I was fine? Looks like I'm going on holiday on my own this year. :-)

Like saddles, screens and their effectiveness vary by individual case.

When I worked at a dealership it was a daily saga for some rider or another with this working for X (stock) and not for Y.

Same was true for almost every aftermarket.

I have multiple screens for my GT ranging from Z Tech short (plenty of clean air/good screen) to Aeroflow Sport (more protection/good screen) to the addition of a Laminar Lip.

My helmet is at about 6'8-9" or so and every BMW bike ever made can cause buffeting for me in most positions.

Before adding the Laminar Lip I set up a platform at headlight level, added taped on tell tales on the screen/bike and Laminr Lip. Put a strong fan on the platform, cranked it on an moved the LL around watching the effect.

All this works good for the rider, but the pillion will get different flow.

I'm over a foot taller than my pillion andwith the large GIVI topcase she is comfortable with all the permutations as the air flow is consistent and doesn't bring back pressure up on her.

Do you have a topcase?

If not get one. It will reduce/elimnate any back pressure on the pillion.

Otherwise, only trial and error will determine what works for you, your size, her size, windshield position and speed.

All the after market screens can work. Whether they work for you all depends.

Best wishes.

My R1100RT came with a rather flat and large Clearview windscreen. My wife hated the buffeting at speed. I replaced it with a Cee Bailey #2 Euro cut, and neither she nor I has had any complaints over 60,000 miles, many 2-up. We are both on the short side (5'6" and 5' respectively).