IGNORED

UnRally XVI 2017 - Fontana Village Resort Info

TyTass

If you've been following along in the "UnRally XVI 2017 - Where" thread, you'll see that RealShelby was correct. I'll bet Ed McMahon will show up at his door any day now.

COME UN WITH US AT FONTANA VILLAGE RESORT IN FONTANA DAM, NC, 26-29 JUNE 2017. Explore all the area has to offer in beautiful scenery, fun activities, and more seriously sweet motorcycle roads per square mile than any comparable footprint within the USA!

UN XVI has been titled "The BMWST Smoky Mountain Tour." Come ride the area's "Sweet 16;" sixteen fantastic motorcycle roads that include: the "Tail of the Dragon" at Deal's Gap, Cherohala Skyway, The Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP), "Moonshiner 28," to name just a few. What's more is there are many other great roads we don't talk much about to keep them relatively unknown. And did I mention that FVR is located on a great road known as HellBender?

The Resort itself is an exceptional place to relax at the end of your journey there or each day after taking in some of the region's many offerings in rides, natural beauty, eateries, cultural & historical sites, etc. Most importantly, FVR is a beautiful place, with an arrangement and ample conveniences perfect for an UN, to get the people of this community to connect and reconnect ... comfortably.

- - - - - - -

i-66jxgfn-L.png

i-T2jQnVM-L.png

i-ZcZHV2S-L.png

i-hwRrfLT-L.png

i-gVtxknL-L.png

i-HcS4FC5-L.png

UnRally XVI 2017 - Registration Info

UnRally XVI 2017 - Reservation Info (link fixed)

- - - - - - -

If you have questions, please post them to the appropriate thread rather than sending us PMs. The reason is that if you're asking a question, it's likely someone else will have the same question. So, let's share them all to build an FAQ of sorts. Thanks.

In subsequent posts in this thread we'll provide pictures and information about the FVR amenities, campus activities, and information about the surrounding area.

Edited by TyTass

Mine was an honest "guess"! I was NOT in on any insider info! But I am glad I was correct. This is an excellent place to host an UN. Very clost to the "Tail of the Dragon". But maybe more important is the other directions and sites begging to be explored. As punishment for guessing early and alarming TyTass maybe I will host a ride to Dry Falls/Veil Falls!

Great location Craig! Looking forward to seeing many of our west coast members attend this Un - probably the best location on the east coast for every type of motorcycle riding!

Nice looking place :thumbsup:

Might be about time for a family moto vacation

That would be exceptional. Yeah, we passed this place a bazillion times. I'd even ridden up to the Lobby exterior entrance, and though it was nice. But to fully "get" how nice, you have to go inside and into the pool deck area.

Of course all the other goings on in the resort area (putt putt golf, disc golf, firepits with chairs, playgrounds, snow cone shack, ice cream parlor, a separate pool with a lazy river and children wading areas, etc.) make it exceptional for families. And lastly, the rooms and cabin are nicely appointed and we've gotten a very good rate. The cabins are very good options for families with children that are on vacation (can cook a few meals, if you like).

So, yes, do bring the family! Would love to finally meet your whole clan anyway. :thumbsup:

Edited by TyTass

Great choice, Craig. I've just registered, and paid the event fee. Now to reserve a room, which I hope Endobobdds will handle for the both of us. :dopeslap:

Can't wait.

We're confident everyone will love the venue and the region.

Funny thing about the Appalachian chain is, as you know, there are a number of different sub-regions within it, where the landscape and flora change quite dramatically. Riding the Appalachians in Northern GA looks quite different from those in Western NC, which is different from those in Central NC, etc. So, although there were UnRallies in Little Switzerland and Blowing Rock, the area around Fontana is very different from those areas.

The venue is as beautiful as the pictures make it appear. Alan and I were there a bit over a month ago and didn't want to leave. It's ... well, very comfortable.

I'll be posting more pictures to this thread to better illustrate what FVR has to offer.

Edited by TyTass
Of course all the other goings on in the resort area (putt putt golf, disc golf, firepits with chairs, playgrounds, snow cone shack, ice cream parlor, a separate pool with a lazy river and children wading areas, etc.) make it exceptional for families. The cabins are very good options for families with children that are on vacation (can cook a few meals, if you like).

Good to know they have the extra stuff at the resort to keep the little people busy.

Between that and the cabins, it looks like it would be ideal for bringing the rugrats

CruisinCruzan

My daughter and I spent our annual moto-vacation there this past June. The best week I have ever spent riding. Now I will be taking the wife for another spectacular week.

Tried to register online used BMWSPORTTOURING as a promotion code and the code was not recognized. What was I doing wrong?

Here's how it is typed on the contract ... BMWSport Touring 2017

If that doesn't work, Let me know. It's now the weekend and I might not get a viable answer until Monday ... but I'll try asap tomorrow, if you want to wait. If not, I recommend calling and making a reservation.

My daughter and I spent our annual moto-vacation there this past June. The best week I have ever spent riding. Now I will be taking the wife for another spectacular week.

Awesome! :clap: Back in 2010 we honeymooned just a few miles back up 28, in Almond, up above the lake in a fabulous mountaintop cabin. The riding and sightseeing in the area is indeed spectacular! So many roads, waterfalls, parks, forests, creeks, whitewater, vistas, great lunch stops ... and the list goes on. I can't wait to go back.

So, I might have to ride down that way in a couple weekends, if the weather holds.

CoarsegoldKid

BMWSport Touring 2017 doesn't work for the promo code. I tried to make upper and lower case and that doesn't get it either. Nor does BMWSportTouring.

Edited by CoarsegoldKid

I have the answer ... apparently Fontana cannot handle group reservations through their online tool. You must call in to get the group rates.

Sorry, but I was apparently unintentionally misinformed.

How is the weather in June in NC?

It should be good at this point, low to mid 80s at altitude with lows in the middle 50s.

It truly depends on weather patterns and where you are. So, the possibilities can range pretty far. Usually, late June is somewhere in the 80s to very low 90s. At Fontana Resort, they tell me we should expect mid 80s day time and in the 70s in the evenings that time of year. The really hot month is July and into August.

However, if it were to get really hot in the region, Fontana wouldn't get quite so hot and would still be cooler in the evenings. And riding in the mountains gets you up and out of the heat and humidity anyway.

Not bad to not good.

I attend an event about 4 weeks earlier every year just a few miles away from FVR.

If anything like May, there WILL be some rain. Be prepared for it. Usually an afternoon shower....or two.

This is a simply wonderful place to ride a motorcycle. Especially the way this event covers the weekdays instead of the weekends.

Not bad to not good.

Bring rain gear - don't let the possibility of rain keep you from this UnRally. Those of us on the east coast that have been attending BMWST events for years, now labeled as START and FART can tell you stories of rain, snow, and cloudy days. That said, even when weather has slowed some of us down :) , before we head home we always marvel at the fantastic time we had on great roads, fellowship, and sharing of our passion for motorcycles and riding in southwest North Carolina! :thumbsup:

It's NOT going to rain.

Before approving the location and the Organizing Team for the 2017 UnRally, the Admin Team for this board received and reviewed one of the most thorough and detailed proposals ever in the history of motorcycle rallies. It thoroughly delineated:

Dates

Number of rooms

Number of rooms by type

Prices of each type of room

The actual menu for the group meal (I might fly in just for that. . .Yum!)

The number of quality roads

The overall dual-sport scene, roads, challenge levels, etc

The amount of parking available

The number of apres-ride areas for gathering and story embellishing

Pictures of the bar

The pool situation

Photos of the camping locations

Location of the nearby motorcycle repair shop suitable for tire changes/balancing and other needs

Logo design

T-shirt design

Photos of the firepit area

Photos of the ice cream parlor and game room for the kids

And a list of ice cream flavors

There was no mention of rain in the proposal, therefore, rain has not been approved.

Autumn colors are peaking this week in north GA, TN, and NC, so we went up to Fontana Village today to check it out. On a Tuesday in October, The Dragon was relatively calm, although we did pass two police cruisers and a couple who were standing upright, while their Harley was well down the slope to one side of the road.

In addition to being in the middle of some of the best riding roads in the southeast, Fontana Village Resort is a gorgeous location for the 2017 Unrally, and a great follow-up to the Rock Creek Resort outside Red Lodge.

There is a choice of rooms in the lodge, or 1, 2, and 3 bedroom cabins and other units, so you can be as close to or far away from the action as you want. We decided to book a 2nd floor room in the main lodge, facing southwest, and overlooking the parking lot and surrounding forest. The alternative was a first-floor room on the pool side, but I was concerned that partying might make sleeping difficult.

Unrally XIV should be another memorable event. Tip of the hat to the organizers.

Thank you, Selden. We'd been working with several other venues, in different states, when FVR was suggested to us. A few calls, some research and finally an in depth visit and we knew it would be a fantastic location.

Fontana was the best option ... by far ... and the other places just didn't suck either.

Brianh70 and I are headed out to the WNC region this weekend, though we aren't staying at FVR. Gotta get that last ride of the season in out in the mountains. Can't wait to see some color. Here colors are late and as they say "brown n down." To too much rain this fall.

Too bad we can't coordinate an UN, or even local ride events (for that matter), during fall colors. I love riding in the fall. Unfortunately, aside from the fluctuating timing of colors each year, what really kills that is that lodging venues charge more as they fill up completely, as do the roads, with leaf-peepers. On top of that, folks from out west might not make it because of closed mountain passes through the Rockies.

There was one year that colors came early enough to coincide with Blue Ridge Rendezvous (BRR). That was BRR II in 2008. Here are a few pics from that trip:

DSCN0117-L.jpg

DSCN0128-XL.jpg

DSCN0129-XL.jpg

Edited by TyTass

Brianh70 and I are headed out to the WNC region this weekend, though we aren't staying at FVR. Gotta get that last ride of the season in out in the mountains. Can't wait to see some color. Here colors are late and as they say "brown n down." To too much rain this fall.

For future reference a bit of a heads up and I can sorta attempt arrangements for a meet up. Unfortunately, we have out of towners coming in this weekend.

For future reference a bit of a heads up and I can sorta attempt arrangements for a meet up. Unfortunately, we have out of towners coming in this weekend.

Will do next time, Gunny.

It's NOT going to rain.

There was no mention of rain in the proposal, therefore, rain has not been approved.

So I guess I'll be sitting this one out... :rofl:

Your deposit is refundable until 27 May 2017 (Click Here); after which you'd lose the first night of your reservation. With a group of this size, making reservations this early, that's fair.

Here's some additional information about amenities at the resort and some photos to feast your eyes upon ... more reasons to join those of us who have already signed up for UnRally XVI!

i-R49SscT-L.png

i-nXKzV2V-L.png

i-hcC27MR-L.png

i-z3Rg2kW-L.png

i-ZKhpKZ8-L.png

i-Lm6Mp5d-L.png

i-6pTM8B5-L.png

Holy cow!

That shot of the grill deck is amazing. Since the goal is pretty much for us to take over the whole place, I can imagine it full of just BMWST people and their families, with dads and moms back from a day of riding, old friends and new friends sharing tables and everyone embellishing their two-wheeled accomplishments (cover the ears of the little ones so they don't learn how to evade speed limits). Meanwhile, the munchkins chomp down on pizza and burgers before dashing off to the ice cream parlor and, what is that in the background, an arcade?

Later, some well-lubricated adult conversation at the Bear's Den, then off to prep for the next day and a whole new set of roads.

Nice!

Holy cow! .....

Nice!

Nice indeed! I am excited and thinking about how I will spend my week at Fontana Village and riding the surrounding fantastic roads. Are we ready to start and UnRally 2017 excitement posting? :thumbsup:

Your deposit is refundable until 27 May 2017 (Click Here); after which you'd lose the first night of your reservation. With a group of this size, making reservations this early, that's fair.

Ok, that sounds much better. I thought I read that you lose the first night no matter what.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Craig, this looks too good for us. :grin:

Us being the Canadians?

Hah. Let's just say North Americans. :grin:

I look forward to riding with y'all again!

Craig, this looks too good for us. :grin:

Us being the Canadians?

Hah. Let's just say North Americans. :grin:

I look forward to riding with y'all again!

:Yes::bike:

It doesn't look good for me. Two other folks have requested that week ahead of me. We will see, I haven't cancelled the res quite yet.

It doesn't look good for me. Two other folks have requested that week ahead of me. We will see, I haven't cancelled the res quite yet.

Unacceptable.

Don't make me have a "talk" with them... :old:

Hope it works out for the UN Chris!

Unacceptable.

Don't make me have a "talk" with them... :old:

Don't make me drive the grueling 40 miles to scold folks! :read: