IGNORED

RE: SENA SMH 10 wont hold charge

Skywagon

My SMH 10 has always been able to run all day with no issues on battery. In fact I've ran more than 10 hours without a charge until recently.

I wrote SENA and asked if they would sell me a new battery and they said no, but did offer to sell me a whole new system :)

To their credit they did send me an EBAY Link to someone selling the unit on-line minus the connector. I'll order one, cut the old connector off, and splice together. I'll post later how it turns out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-560mAh-602248-Li-polymer-rechargeable-Battery-LiPo-ion-for-mp3-DVD-GPS-PDA-/111888092481?hash=item1a0d0ccd41:g:6lcAAOSwSdZWdRgb

Is there a known battery supply with the connector?

I didn't think the battery was replaceable. I've had my SMH-10 for over five years and use it almost daily, it drains completely down and I charge it once a week.

Eventually, the battery will die out and it'll give me an excuse to upgrade to likely the 10U.

apparently it is this exact battery in the link. I googled it and several people claim they've replaced theirs. There are a couple of Ytube videos. Simple enough, but just wish I could find one with the connector. Amazon has it for a few bucks more versus that ebay link in China.

Mine is probably about that old too and on the last couple of trips its dead in a couple of hours.

Edited by Skywagon

I went through this about six months ago. Went round and round with Sena. It is absolutely ridiculous that they will not sell or replace the battery and instead expect a customer to replace a perfectly good unit. They claim the battery cannot be replaced because it cannot be accessed due to the waterproof housing. Hmmmm. After some frustration, I bought a new battery from China and changed it out. It is very simple to carefully open the unit to gain access to the battery. The hardest part for me was soldering the connector from the old battery onto the new one. Those darn wires are so thin. Anyway, it is done and my SMH-10 is working like new. It still baffles me that they will not sell or replace a battery on a unit that was only a couple of years old and working fine.

A side note-I am going to the AIMExpo (motorcycle expo)in Orlando this weekend. Sena has a booth there and I plan on stopping by to discuss this with them.

Gordiet-The SMH 10R is a different model than the SMH 10. It is a low profile unit with a different battery set-up.

David-I am pretty sure that is the same battery. It has been awhile since I purchased it.

copy and paste the web address provided by Skywagon. That is the battery. It does not have a connector so you will need to cut the connector from the old battery and solder to the new battery.

Just got through talking to Sena today and was told you can't remove the battery in a SMH10 because it's a sealed unit. I told the expert...WRONG! I have the dead battery laying here in front of me! Was basically told that was impossible.

Now that's what I call customer service. I've spent hundreds of dollars with these guys and that's the response I get?? WOW....

Very disappointed with there company policies.

Need to go higher up.

GT

Yep. Had that experience as well. I even asked about them replacing the battery and of course I would pay for the service, and they said no.

Even better yet-Went to the AIMExpo in Orlando this past weekend and Sena had a display. I talked with a rep and asked why they do not sell batteries to replace a worn out battery. He told me that it would compromise the unit. We spoke for a few minutes with him insisting that the battery could not be replaced. I told him that because the company would not sell or allow me to pay for them to replace the battery of a perfectly good SMH 10, I bought a battery from China and replaced it myself. He then argued with me that I did not and if I did I compromised the unit. I told him that he was wrong and that the unit was sitting out in the parking lot on my helmet with my motorcycle and is working perfectly. He argued with me that it wasn't and that it was compromised. I could see we were getting no where and at this point he stated that they have a suggestion for situation in which a battery loses its charging life. He brought me to a display and showed me a battery pack they expect you to wear on your arm and hardwire it to the SMH 10. I walked away at that point. Very frustrating. Good product, but horrible service when it comes to battery issues.

The only thing that would have been better is to bet him the cost of a new one...If your right, I'll buy a new one, If I'm right you will give me a new one. I truly don't get it. I can understand if they say warranty void, but to say tough buy a new unit with a $5.00 battery goes bad is something that will haunt them over time. If they would say, we will replace it for $25...most people would just send it in and pay the $25 + shipping for the 3 minutes it actually takes to do the job.

Received an email from Sena this morning asking me to provide them the serial number and unit number but still insisting that it was sealed unit. Don't know what's going on.

They seem to be a rather hard headed bunch!

It might be worth while for a bunch of us to write directly to the higher ups in the company and complain.

GT

Just received another email from Sena telling me I couldn't have taken the battery out because it's a sealed unit.! Then told me I needed to buy a new unit. What a bunch of jerks. Pass the word!😡

GT

I probably would not send them the S/N as they might cancel your ability to Software updates with that highly defective unit you have with a rogue battery.....Oh wait, I forgot, you can't change the battery. :) However you might ask them the purpose of the 3 screws on the back. If really sealed it would not have screws, it would be molded or glued...

Edited by Skywagon

Maybe doesn't apply to your issue BUTT my Sena SMH10R started having an issue of not lasting all day. Turns out that I was at fault for using a 2.1A charger rather than the OEM 1.0A charger. Why you ask? Many rechargeable batteries end their charge cycle via a thermal switch that opens at XX.X degrees. The 2.1A charger puts current into the battery faster thus creating more heat, the charging then stops but the battery is not fully charged. Once I realized this and went back to the lower power charger, no more problem........that is until I ripped the wires out of the battery somewhere in Salida butt that is a different story :P

Thanks, good thought but using the charger it came with and the same one since new.

Funny I received a survey tonight on how did I like their response to my inquiry for battery service

How would you rate the support you received?

Good, I'm satisfied

Bad, I'm unsatisfied

Guess which box I checked?

Taks

• 1 month later...

Problem solved. My battery was dead after about 2 hours. I ordered the battery above for I think about $9.00. It took a couple of weeks to get here from China. It is an exact match except no connector. I soldered the new battery on the old wires, covered in heat shrink and all is well. Took a whopping 10 minutes. You do need a #8 Torx to take the 3 screws out. Here is a video I watched before I did it.

So instead of paying Sena for a new unit...I'm good to go at $9.00.

link to video below....