IGNORED

04 1150RT - No problems

Sinman

I visit this forum regularly and read about the issues that oilhead owners are having. This is a wonderful forum to seek assistance and advice and the collective knowledge and experience is awesome.

But it seems to me that most people only visit this forum when they have a problem,need assistance or advice (I'm guilty too).

New owners coming here for the first time see a long list of issues and problems associated with this bike and might get the impression that there are inherent problems with all 1150RTs.

It needs to be said that this forum still only represents and small fraction of owners. many who have never had a need to seek assistance or advice because they have never had a problem with their bikes.

So I'd like to start a thread for people to tell current and prospective owners just how good and reliable the R1150RT is overall.

I have a 2004 model with 76,000km on the clock. I have ridden this bike around Australia (14,000km) and made many, many long distance trips in all conditions.

My bike has NEVER let me down. It has never broken down and it has never failed to start.

Edited by Sinman

The only problem I have had with my 2002 R1150RT at 62.000 miles, I detected a very small amount of paralever bearing play. I installed EI bushings from Ted Porter. No other problems.

2004 RT with 52,000 miles. I'm the 3rd owner, i have replaced the original shocks, added some mirrors from a K-1200 RS and a new windshield. It gets washed when it rains.

Hi Sinman, I have to agree with what you say. I sold my '04RT this summer mainly because I never really got used to the weight distribution (top heaviness) of the bike. I was extremely irritated early on (first month of ownership) when I found myself twice sitting on the ground after making a slow sharp turn with the RT on its side. I had never had anything like that happen before and then I found out the cause of my mishaps that being the miserable and ill thought out linked servo assist brakes that I paid for in the purchase price. I later removed this POS system and never looked back but it has always irritated me whenever I think about it. I have always felt that BMW ripped me off. In hindsight had I known what I was buying I would have opted for a 2004 R1150R without ABS. I did have some minor problems with my '04RT that thankfully I could take care of myself. The slight lean surge was later remedied with a wideband sensor and to be fair many other bikes of this vintage had the same problem not just BMW. When BMW got rid of the back axle which resulted in final drive problems the company should have fessed up and offered extended warranties at the least but instead the denied the problem was theirs.

Anyway once bitten twice beware and for this reason I've bought my last BMW especially since I think I've found a better (for me) mouse trap that being a pristine very low mileage (1200 miles) 2010 FJR1300A. Same weight approximately as the '04RT just much lower and then there is the very smooth and powerful motor. I'll keep my last beemer (R1100RSL) for the time being.

I haven't had any issues with mine but it has only 32k miles on it.

Friend of mine has one with over 80k miles with only routine maintenance.

FWIW...

Sinman,

I agree with you on all points, especially about the "collective knowledge and experience". There are many very experienced and knowledgeable, altruistic people here who contribute an amazing amount of time, typing and patience.

But please take into account that we are an OCD mixed with perfectionist dominated fraternity and that we can get really wound up what type of oil is the absolute best for our beasts.

Also, just speaking from my own experience, if we can't be riding, fixing, altering, tinkering or polishing our dearly beloved objects of our desires, for whatever reason, then we tend to be talking, bragging, arguing, discussing something about them.

This is one of the best BMW forums out there. The contributing members and moderators are the best. I was surprised they even let me in!!

Lowndes

44K on mine. No real problems. Cleaned the starter, replaced a battery, complained about the brake flush, the usual. It does keep burning up tires about every 6K or so. :revit:

Replaced:

starter (under warranty ... could have just cleaned it) ~ 34K

speedo cable ~ 60K

stick coils ~ 60K

rotors ~ 130K

At 142K a regular inspection revealed that there was some wear on the transmission input shaft splines. I rode the bike to VA and spent a couple of days watching while watched Anton Largiader replace the shaft, clutch and installed a new crown bearing (all at a cost less than my local dealer would charge for a new clutch!!). Anton estimated that I could have gone another 20-30K without failure. Love the bike - do all the routine maintenance myself with knowledge and advice from members of BMWST.

SILVER-SURFER7

Love my 2004 RTP

Just installed new front and rear ohlins at 50K, what a difference. Was a PITA due to the crash bars subframe on the front of the bike. Really like the trans gearing on this RTP, 4K at 75mph in 6th. "Casper" needs the throttle bodies rebuilt, but with the new shocks he rides like he is on rails.

175,xxx miles on a '96R1100RT. A few issues, but all were easily straightened out in the end. Final drive pivot bearing was replaced with a bushing from Ted Porter 30k miles ago. No issues and insignificant wear on the bushing. I've only owned two bikes, including this one, so I can't say I love it, but I do enjoy it when I get to really ride it hard. A wideband O2 sensor/controller really smooths out the bike and a good transmission can make a world of difference in mileage as I recently replaced mine with a used gearbox and fuel economy increased 20+%. I would recommend this bike to anybody.

2003 Rt purchased Dec. 2002.

At about 30k (miles) the transmission input seal & fuel regulator were replaced under warranty.

At 121k I had to get a tow home.

Turned out BMW used shielded coil & ignition wires (RTP) on this bike and the left side wire had suddenly grounded itself so the plug was not receiving the spark.

It could be argued that I should have replaced the wires proactively

At about 125k I changed the finale drive crown bearing that I think went bad due to abnormal stress due to shot shocks.

All in all, it's been reliable transportation.

Just brought my early 02 1150 RT home from a 4500 mile trip...through all weathers. Old girl got me home with about 106,000 miles on the clock (second one, calculated).

Early on, that rear drive kept drooling, but we got that under control under warranty.

A right pannier decided to liberate itself and that was (generously, I thought) warranteed too)

Front headlight died due to burned-out ground. Warranty, then I rewired it for relays.

Lost the splines at 66K. Replaced the weeping slave and clutch then too.

Rebuilt the rear around 82K

Ripped out the ABS around 84K.

Replaced the aforementioned speedometer.

Replaced some relays that prevented ignitition

(this period was a very difficult time in our marriage...as if she'd left home and run up the credit card)

But since then we've reconciled and she's even stopped burning oil--up until 95K or so I could count on a quart every 2500 miles. After this trip, less than 4 ounces. Amazing, really...I never babied the engine, BUH-lieve me.

I adore this motorcycle for it's intended purpose, which has been to take me all over North America in style and comfort and fun.

I am actively seeking a lower mileage (properly low) 2004 for when she retires.

02 1150 RT, 103k miles, bought it 18 months ago, put 5k miles on it, everything works. Runs great. Routine maintenance only for me. No leaks.

I had an 04RT for four and a half years and put 90,000 miles on it the only major problem I had was the fuel pump died around 55,000 miles and had to replace both stick coils . Great first Beemer !!!! My current ride is a 14RT which I purchased in Nov. 2014 ,just turned over 57,000 yesterday and haven't had any problems so far , great bike!!

I have a 98 R1100RT and I LOVE IT! Never left me stranded, never had any major issues, just normal maintenance and upgrades, like to the brake lines and so forth. Most of the time I probably over maintain the machine, but that because I like to keep her in good shape and also because I enjoy working on it. Even when I have an "issues" with the bike they are usually more me itching to wrench on it then it is an actual issue that is supper serious. Of course I bought her used, and the previous owner rode her to the end of a major service being due, then ditched her on a trade at a Harley dealer bald tires and all. Thus in my first few months of ownership i had a little catch up to do. But if anything that just shows what quality machines they are, little love and shes back to her former glory. Visually and mechanically.

I think this board is invaluable for those of us who like to figure things out, do their own maintenance, troubleshoot issues.

With the collected knowledge of everyone here, my '04 RT has been pretty much bulletproof. 90k, zero oil usage. Runs pretty much like the day I rode it home. I do all my own maintenance/repairs. Repairs have been minimal.

I do have the 8/10 bars fuel gauge issue that I hope to address again this winter. I hope to ride this bike to at least 200,000 miles. I've ridden newer bikes and as yet, don't see the features outweighing the cost and the current smile factor I get with the old girl. :)

And, not forget, the '02 - '04 series of RT's is arguably a classic design. And the ladies always want to go for a ride. :)

RPG

RPG, just a quick note on the Fuel Gauge issue:

As has been said many times, the gauge responds to voltage, and the tube that sends the signal is a long variable resistor.

You want to clean all the intermediate problem areas out of the equation first, which means the fuel tank electrical connector near the right throttle body AND the gauge electrical connector underneath the front of the right dash panel. If you are anal like me, you can add a ground somewhere closer to the circuit. I believe proper grounding is a weak point in many motorcycles. Current has to get home.

As the bike ages, I found the tube itself can get gummy. My solution was to remove the tank, empty it mostly of gasoline, throw in some Sea Foam, and then rock it upside down, rightside up, back and forth, more or less gently but firmly. The idea is to try to get the Float to clean the tube on its own.

I've only had to do it twice in 106,000 miles and it worked both times. 10 bars at fillup, 0 bars with about a 3/4 gallon left.

Naturally, be careful of the Reserve Light float and its circuit too.