BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#973170 - 10/18/16 03:54 PM Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs
szurszewski Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Hello SportTourers!

A few of you know we were planning to leave just after the Un for a year on the road, in our K1200LT rig....well, July became September and then October. Work and our inability to get things done quickly, capped off with a need for a FD rebuild. What are you going to do?

We finally made it out of town on October 7th. It's ten days later now and we're as far as Arcata, CA! It's been a great trip so far, and since I consider this forum my home online (even if I'm pretty quiet and antisocial at gatherings), this is the thread I've put off starting until I could start it perfectly.

...but that's never going to happen so I'm starting it now anyway! We've also got a travel blog, and I started an ADV thread for my sidecar friends there - I'll put links at the bottom of this post for those who like those things. I don't do Facebook, but Laura does - so get in touch if you want to follow us that way.

Here are the basics:

We are Jeremiah, a seven-year-old (only for a few more weeks!) elementary school drop out; Eddy, a ten year old weird as heck dog who moved in with us when we lived in a Yupik Eskimo village; Culprit, a 14-year-old crazy Aussie; Laura, a professional baker who originally studied biology and worked in neuro research before turning to the dark side and running a GED program in rural AK; Josh, who used to be a high school teacher but somehow ended up starting/co-owning a small driving school in Portland.

We are all piled into a 1999 K1200LT sidecar rig - and trailer - we put together this spring/summer/fall.

The plan is to traipse the US exploring what we can and trying to find a place to start or buy a small bread-centric bakery. We really don't know what we're doing or even where we're going (literally - it's 8:45am and I'm in a Motel 6 - that's all I know).

If you have suggestions on what to do, where to go, or know a place that is in need of a new bakery OR a bakery that is need of new owners PLEASE let us know!

Our budget for this trip is pretty minimal, so if you have a backyard to camp in, don't be shy (we're actually really shy, but we're working on it) smile

All my pics online are in Picasa/Google Pics and don't work well with this site. I need to start putting stuff in something that works better so I can put them here - when I do, I'll get into a recap of the ride so far and then try to stay current. In the meantime, how about we start with a quintessential BMW internet forum picture:

I'd never seen one in person before - it's pretty neat (I mean, I guess it was pretty neat until it started to come apart...at least it didn't get a chance to eat the housing).

...and for those who dare venture outside this form, you can find more here

trycheckthis.com

and here on ADV.

Thanks for reading!
josh

#973223 - 10/19/16 05:13 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
roadscholar Online

Loc: N. Fla.
Nice to see Sharon and Jan got you off to a good start. Gotta love a plan that has no plan, following on ADV... clap lurk

Edited by roadscholar (10/19/16 05:27 AM)

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650

#973283 - 10/20/16 05:21 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

Hi Bill -
Yes - Sharon and Jan were very good to us. In fact, if no one else is nice to us for a lllooonnggg time, we'll still feel like we're coming out ahead.

The only downside is that it was so wet/rainy, we didn't get out to all of the cool places Jan wanted us to go. Next time for sure!

Still don't have pics worked out, and even if I did wifi here is so slow I can't upload anything really anyway.

BUT!

Today we started in Big Lagoon Park, up near Trinidad CA, and took 101 south. We did the Avenue of the Giants and paid $4 just outside of Legget to drive through what's left - held together by steel rope mostly now it seems - of a giant redwood (it was still kind of fun and the rig BARELY fit {like, we went through twice and the first time I caught the hack wheel on a bit of wood, and to avoid that the second time I had less than an inch of space from the left mirror}), and then took HWY 1 to Ft Bragg.

We were going to push on for a campground about 30 miles south, but filling the gas tank after dinner we decided we were tired and there was a Motel 6 right there, with a heated pool, for not too much more than a campground...and we could save an hour in the morning by not having to pack the tents.... yeah....

So that's what we did today.

Tomorrow we hope to visit the jeweler who made our wedding rings, and then a couple few days in the bay area with Traveler1 and RT Russ. After that I think we'll head east. Jeremiah's got a birthday party (his) to get to in OK on 11/13, and Laura is going to fly back to Portland to help her mom move sometime before that.

And that's the plan for now. smile
Pics to follow by this weekend - promise smile smile
josh

#973286 - 10/20/16 11:20 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
TEWKS Offline

Loc: Tewksbury, MA.
Now this sounds awesome and a little scary all at the same time. Watching! java clap

Pat

#973297 - 10/20/16 01:51 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

Hi Pat -
You're not the first one to say that, and I think we all agree with you.
josh

#973298 - 10/20/16 01:55 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
Marty Hill Offline
The Energiser Bunny

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
Enjoy your trip! thumbsup

700GS/white...old age moto

WWMHD...ride till you can't

Semper Paratus

#973363 - 10/21/16 05:33 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

Thanks Marty - we're staying with Thor tonight, and I can honestly say your name was instrumental in making this post smile
josh

#973427 - 10/22/16 05:21 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
workin' them angels Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
Thanks for posting - following (jealously) along on this bold adventure.

The point of the journey is not to arrive...

#973522 - 10/24/16 07:03 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

Thanks for reading! I'm behind in updating this as well as the two other online things we're doing (ADV thread and my trycheckthis.com blog) - but we spent a few days in the Bay Area, played in San Fran today, and are south of San Jose tonight. I'm looking forward to a good night sleep tonight (oops- it's this morning already!) having spent about nine hours last night, ending at 3:30am, making a huge mess of RT Russ's garage in a (largely successful) attempt to put on new Spiegler brake lines.

I'll try to get something done tomorrow, but we are sadly without wifi frown

Getting ready to head east toward CO and then down to OK - probably going south around the Sierras first.
josh

#973582 - 10/25/16 03:40 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
roadscholar Online

Loc: N. Fla.
Someone got a shot of Josh and clan on the Golden Gate the other day. thumbsup (borrowed from Adv)

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >