BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#991770 - 07/08/17 01:50 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
Whip Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX

#991825 - 07/09/17 11:23 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
That is a VERY nice looking spot - but a bit out of our budget.

Suggestion greatly appreciated though - so Please don't hesitate if you, or anyone else, has more!

#992681 - 07/20/17 10:55 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

I hope you're all having a good summer - we've been enjoying ours (mostly wink ) - a few pics and such from our recent travels:

Heading away from Long Island we took advantage of its island nature and caught a few ferries

eventually ending up in Connecticut and then traveling on to Rhode Island where we had two invitations from ADV bakery owners (they must be up to something!) to visit their shops:

The Bakery (<--yep - that's the name) in Charlestown,

and Seven Stars in Providence.

After loading up on our carbs, we meandered up the coast into Massachusettes where we enjoyed the sunshine, dropped in on some more bakeries, and hung out with some birds that very recently - apparently - belonged to Steven Tyler.

Crossing back into New York we came to roost near Albany for a few days to hang out with some family for the holiday. While we were there, because why not, we checked out a few potential properties.

This one was my favorite:

Of course there had to be some fireworks -

and we even got Laura's mom to try out a vegan sandwich shop - you can see in her eyes just how much she loves it (I think this sort of makes up for the time Laura's mom and I took Laura out to Texas Roadhouse...)

From New York we rode into Vermont - it was a great place to catch up on our reading and our ice cream intake..

and we checked out a few towns and properties as well, but nothing really popped out at us.

I felt a bit bad for not realizing the nights we'd spent in Vermont were only a few minutes from one of my Dad's two undergrad colleges - but we did make a quick exit from the highway to grab a few pics - here's one:

That and a drop in at MAX's to drop off the unused shims were about our only stops in New Hampshire before moving north into Maine.

We spent our first night in ME with a great ADV family,

who told us about this weird soda that's really from New Hampshire but apparently big all over New England - they said it was pretty ...uh, well they didn't talk it up too much let's say... but we had to try it anyway. As you can see, Jeremiah really likes it wink

I think in our minds we'd been (and by we I mean Laura and I) waiting for Maine to really start looking for our new home - and so we did:

I think our two most likely candidates were in Stonington,

and Blue Hill.

There were a number of other towns we liked along the coast, but most were small and already had an operation similar to what we want to do that was being done well. That doesn't put them out of the question of course, but it does require some extra study.

Maine also afforded us the opportunity to drop in on a couple we'd met staying in Weeki Wachee Florida. They said they had some trouble getting the URL I'd given them to work, so Jeremiah loaded up our ADV ride report and proceeded to read it out to Pat - I let him get through the intro and then we moved on to something else - I was afraid he'd read through all 44 current pages! (And I'm pretty sure she would have let him...)

We also got to just enjoy being in Maine - if you haven't seen it, it looks like this:

That's the parking lot of one of our favorite random restaurants - vegetarian entrees are thin on the ground but this place did a nice job mixing in some veg options alongside amazing seafood and more traditional meaty items. Great name too!

Oh - Canada! We hopped across the border from Lubec ME to Campobello Island New Brunswick for a few hours - this is what Canada looks like:

and this is what Maine looks like from Canada:

That's Lubec, ME in the background. I found a picture taken from a similar spot back in 1932 and you'd be hard pressed to point out the differences - other than the herring smoke house looking a bit better off in '32. If we didn't have to make a living, we'd probably have bought a place there. In Lubec, I mean - not in 1932.

What else has happened? Well, Jeremiah picked up yet another Jr. Ranger badge at the very quaint (and tiny) St. Croix Island International Historic Park.

We had the end of an exhaust header stud fly off (I'm pretty sure we heard it happen - sounded a cross between someone taking a pot shot at us and a....uh....something metal breaking - wow - the imagery!),

and I figured seven was good enough so we rode around like that until the bike started sounded too much like a Harley - I was lucky enough to find a replacement stud in the very well stocked Lubec Hardware Store, and fortunate enough to be able to get the old stud out with some vice grips (though not until we'd made it back into Vermont).

Back in Vermont Jeremiah got the chance to try rabbit for the first time (well - not his first opportunity, but the first time he took said opportunity) - I know he likes it but I think he's trying to figure out if it's "OK" to like eating bunnies),

Eddy continued to guard the trailer from just about everyone including me,

and flowers started turning up all over the place.

#992683 - 07/20/17 10:58 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

Tonight we're back in Albany with the intention of taking a few days off to review where we are and where we're going. It's sort of felt like we're spinning wheels but not covering much ground the last week or so - if you want to read me whining about that, you can pop over to page 42 or so of ADV thread - but I'll spare you from it here.

#992789 - 07/22/17 12:14 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Loc: Tallahassee, Florida
The gams is afoot, methinks...
wave
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#992875 - 07/23/17 11:50 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
Whip Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted By: szurszewski

Suggestion greatly appreciated though - so Please don't hesitate if you, or anyone else, has more!

You can live there, work there, and rent parts of it out.

The numbers work

But I AM kinda partial to Colorado

#992899 - 07/23/17 05:26 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: Whip]
szurszewski Offline

Originally Posted By: Whip
Originally Posted By: szurszewski

You can live there, work there, and rent parts of it out.

The numbers work

But I AM kinda partial to Colorado

You are going to get me in trouble - if not now, one of these days smile

that's probably why I like you wink

#994304 - 08/10/17 10:32 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

Almost monthly update time again. A few days in Albany has turned into nearly a month it seems. There's a buidling downtown we're trying to buy, and that's about all we've been doing. I did take the rig (-trailer) down to Max BMW in CT today (actually I took it to both locations because I didn't think to double check that I was heading to the proper one first) to have them look at the bike and probably replace the clutch.

Great day for a ride - and a good thing as it turned out to be a bit longer than expected - and they were kind enough to let me move one of their bikes from CT to NY for them so I only had to get a twenty minute ride back to Albany instead of 150 minute ride.

Mostly phone calls and a few meetings with financing folks - that and a lot of screwing around with spread sheets and business plan stuff... not many pics taken, but here are a few:

#994334 - 08/11/17 05:17 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee
Somebody got a haircut. jaw
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger

#994353 - 08/11/17 12:55 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: greiffster]
szurszewski Offline

Originally Posted By: greiffster
Somebody got a haircut. jaw

What? Should I infer that you have NOT had a hair cut since last we say you?
wink

(You'll have to ask him about - grandma took him to sport clips - style has a name and everything... and he requested, and received, gel so he can "keep it styled" ... This, I suppose, is how it begins. Sigh.)

Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >