BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#974257 - 11/03/16 05:57 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
TEWKS Offline

Loc: Tewksbury, MA.
Originally Posted By: szurszewski
I think I'll be pretty worn out from crawling slowly across the bridge anyway smile

Just close your eyes and ride across it. grin

IIRC they did hit you pretty hard for the extras. read

Bill, I did feel pretty super right at that moment! wink

Pat

#974260 - 11/03/16 06:12 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: TEWKS]
roadscholar Online

Loc: N. Fla.
Can you still ride a bike across it, there's a dirt road on the other side I want to get to.

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650

#974265 - 11/03/16 06:47 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: roadscholar]
TEWKS Offline

Loc: Tewksbury, MA.

Originally Posted By: roadscholar
there's a dirt road on the other side I want to get to.

Of course there is! grin

That was somewhere between 2005 & 2012. (my mind records events between bike purchases) grin I'm not sure if they stopped it, doubt it because you could exit the park after crossing like we did.

Pat

#974272 - 11/03/16 09:02 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: TEWKS]
roadscholar Online

Loc: N. Fla.
Ok I thought it may have been more recent. Someone told me they don't allow cars anymore as of a couple years ago but was hoping maybe bikes, probably unlikely though.

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650

#974292 - 11/04/16 03:15 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: roadscholar]
Endobobdds Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I went over it in July 2012 - also did some dirt roads on my K bike on the south side of the bridge. thumbsup

If you are anywhere close it is worth the time to see, however, the Bridge/Park website states:

"THE ROYAL GORGE BRIDGE
Marvel at awe-inspiring panoramic views from one of the world’s highest suspension bridges – hanging 956 feet above the Arkansas River! The Royal Gorge Bridge is an all-new experience! The park has a new 16,000 sq. ft. Visitor Center and is one of the world’s longest single-span aerial gondolas, an over-the-gorge zipline and children’s play area.

NO PERSONAL VEHICLES WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE BRIDGE AT ANY TIME."

Edited by Endobobdds (11/04/16 03:17 AM)

#974434 - 11/06/16 08:18 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
Whip Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted By: szurszewski
Oh my gosh - I am doing a terrible job keeping up here. I really need to get some dang photo hosting going (does anyone else do that thing where they feel like there is a chain of events that needs to happen in order and when they can't get one actually not that important piece in place they just abandon the whole chain? or is that just me...) so I can put pictures here.

We have been having a great time - since staying with Traveler1, and then RT Russ and his wonderful wife Peggy, we've been to San Francisco, Bakersfield where we signed the closing papers for our house, a few cool spots in the deserts of CA including two days in Death Valley (wish we could go back for DVD but the timing is just not going to work), Las Vegas to buy me a new helmet (broke mine in DV), The Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde and a bunch of little place in between, and right now I'm sitting at Whip and Louise's kitchen table enjoying the fantastic Salida sunshine!

We're headed up to Denver and then on to Mt. Rushmore for a quick photo op before Laura flies back to Portland. She'll be helping her mom drive said mom's stuff to Oklahoma in a big Uhaul, and we'll all meet up there for Jeremiah's 8th birthday. Which means Jeremiah and the dogs and I have about six days to cover six or seven hundred miles all on our own. So if you have any good suggestions on routes to take or things to do/see between Denver and Altus, please do let us know!

I'll move it up to the top of the priority list to get some pics somewhere the board can see them in the meantime!
josh

Stay as long as you want. I will be back this weekend.

Edited by Whip (11/06/16 08:19 PM)

#974480 - 11/07/16 02:22 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: Whip]
szurszewski Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: Whip

Stay as long as you want. I will be back this weekend.

You and Mrs. are quite generous, and we'd love to just move in...but once I have finished all your beer and abused your wifi enough to get some pics finally uploaded to post on here, we'll have to move on (seriously: if I don't have Jeremiah in Altus to meet his grandmother by his birthday {11/13} he will be kind of upset and said grandmother will probably hunt me down widow my wife!). BUT! I have been abusing your wifi, and finally have some pics in a bmwrt postable form (I think...), so I'm going to now attempt to properly update this here page (and then we're giong to go check out the skate park and bookstore - it's a rough day we have planned...)!

#974489 - 11/07/16 03:07 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

OK! Here we go - I think I've got some photos ready, and I've got some time (and Whip's wifi!), so I'll back up a bit and start with a brief recap from the beginning. I am ignoring FB's repeated advice to compose offline and then copy and paste (which IS really sound advice - I just don't listen well), so I'll do this in a few parts.

First, who are we and what the heck are we doing?

Here's us, as taken a few weeks into the trip by our own RT Russ

and here's where we used to live as taken by the realtor's photog (with the foliage cut back at the stager's request - SO many folks involved in this house selling business!):

We moved to Portland ten years ago (from far western rural Alaska, like you do) so Laura could go to culinary school with the intention of becoming a baker and opening her own shop. We got through the school part and the baker part, and somewhere along the way I became fully embroiled in driver ed (or, traffic safety education, as my betters would want me to call it) world to the point where I was teaching university courses in it and opened my own business with some friends. Laura decided Portland was saturated and didn't want to add to the pool, so we never got to step three of the plan. Oh - and also somewhere in there we had a kid wink

But where to open this bakery? I was so busy with my two jobs, and then my one job and one business that I wasn't much help, and Laura-who-is-not-a-morning-person was working 10-12 hour shifts of baker's hours, so she was pretty much exhausted all the time (switching to a four-10s helped, but that really meant three 12s and a 6, so she was still essentially exhausted five days a week). As a result, what little free time we had together went to fun things, family things, "necessary" things and a modicum of travel, so little time was spent on the bakery. ...Until about two years ago when I sort of lost it - maybe it was a mid life crisis, but I hope I'm not quite halfway yet - and decided that if we didn't do something else, I was going to go crazy. And something else turned out be almost buying a bakery in a small town in eastern Oregon.

We had a very intense few months of negotiating the sale and then planning to hoist up stakes and move rather abruptly to La Grande. Unexpectedly, the day we were to sign papers the seller backed out. So much went into that prep we were sort of left stunned and dropped the idea for a time. With our schedules, and essentially spending all we were earning to afford to live in Portland, how do you figure out where else you want to go to start a new life and new business? And then one day someone says, you know if we sold the house we could live out of the sidecar rig for a year and look around for our next place. And everyone laughs and laughs and laughs. And Laura says, but what about the dogs? And I say, I'll build them an adorable trailer. And everyone laughs and laughs and laughs.

Edited by szurszewski (11/08/16 07:12 AM)

#974495 - 11/07/16 03:59 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

For those who care about the vehicle as much as the journey, this is your post - for those who don't, you can skip this one and not miss anything.

Ten years ago I found this site, and then I found my RT. We were living in AK and our bike, a '78 R60 was in WA, and I didn't want a new bike and thought the 1100 RTs were about the ugliest, least motorcycle-y monstrosity ever (sorry - don't hold it against me - I did come around somewhat on that issue). What I did want to do was spend the summer (I was a teacher) in WA restoring my bought while I was in college in SE AK and fairly abused and neglected R60 to a better state. And I had three months to do it. And then Laura started planning other things and suddenly I had like three weeks to do it. Being the wonderful wife she is, she said, well, why don't we get a newer bike that's ready to ride and we can spend time riding this summer and you can work on the other bike later. Not being too stupid, I said, OK.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago. We have been looking for a sidecar so we can take Jeremiah with us and still ride. We were ready to buy a new Ural and then there was that whole thing with Russia and the Ukraine (I don't want to get into the politics here, and I'm not a political person, but I have a dear Ukrainian friend, who lives in Kiev, and IS a political person, and I decided buying a new Russian bike would not sit well with him, and so it didn't happen, but almost...).

{This pic actually made it to the cover of the Ural's US newsletter - we were about the only people that showed up to a demo day during a snowstorm...)

From craigslist I find a Hannigan sidecar up in WA. The seller is motivated and has it listed pretty cheap. If I come get it this weekend, would you take a thousand less? You would? Great. Only I can't get up there, so I call my dad; Dad - can you take a trailer and $1500 in cash to Spanaway this weekend and buy me a sidecar? Great! Dad calls, Have you seen this thing? It's huge. I don't know if it will fit in the trailer. But it did. And it was huge.

Laura's first time piloting the thing

It was really a bit big for the RT, and it took me a solid year - almost - to get them hooked up, and we rode it for another year.

Pulled over to commemorate the RT rolling over 100,000 miles!

Before, though, I put a bunch of time and money into prepping the rig for this trip I did a bit of online searching, pretty half-assedly, for K1200LT figuring that was more size appropriate and the early ones were starting to go at reasonable (for me) prices. So....after checking the usual places and not seeing anything I both want and can afford, I happen on to an ADV thread. Now, if BMWs are, as everyone knows, for old duffers, the K1200LT has to be for the oldiest and duffiest among us, right? What I found was a kid - a mere pup of 23 - who had somehow picked up a GS (ok, makes sense - he lives in Nevada) and a '99 K1200LT - what?

Glamour shot from the ad

Now, though, he has found a GSA he really NEEDS and is selling the other BMWs to fund it. He starts the ask somehwere above $4k I believe, and it's in the $3000s when I find the thread. I think about it. I talk to Laura, I don't have time to go to Vegas (or the money...but that's beside the point). I check the thread the next evening. He's down to like $3500 and asking for offers. I check again and he's really asking for offers. I PM and say, if I send you $3k via paypal tonight? He says - sure, if you can get it out of my garage - sends pic of garage which has like a dozen dirt bikes and these two huge BMWs. Sure, I say - no problem. I send money...and I try to figure out how to get a bike in Parhump NV smile

The next day I call up our HHO, who sometimes lives in Vegas. Are you in Vegas? Yes. I bought this bike - will you pick it up for me and put in your garage for a while? Yes. Excellent smile smile smile

In Harold's garage. I'd never even sat on a K1200LT before and was terrified I'd drop the thing coming off the stand. Turns out though much heavier it's actually lower and easier to low speed around than the RT...

A two day ride from Vegas to WA, with a good solid 250 miles of frog strangling type rain between Redding and Roseburg, and the bike was home.

Some money (really not that much - less than I expected anyway) to Hannigan, and the driveway looked like this

This time in much less than a year, I ended up with this:

As I said, we were hoping to start this trip in time to hit the Un on our way "out of town"... that didn't happen, but we did make the gathering. It was a good sort of shake down of the idea, and we had fun.

...but we still needed a way to haul the pups.

#974498 - 11/07/16 04:22 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]
szurszewski Offline

Once we finally had the house ready to list it was September! To make it as easy as possible for our fantastic realtor to sell the house quickly and for as much $$ as reasonably possible, we had it fully staged and move our remaining crap and ourselves out!

We took up residence at my dad and stepmother's house up in Olympia, WA, and set about getting the bike, sidecar and trailer ready to go.

The Previous owner had rerouted the crank to vent out the back of the bike instead of into the TBs - that was a pain to fix but worth it to get rid of the oily mist coming out the back at high RPMs

If you're going to pull a trailer, you're going to need a hitch! Ours came from Ernie's Custom Hitches in Olympia - more expensive than some other solutions, but I think more solid, and Ernie got us in and done quickly on pretty much no notice.

While Ernie built the hitch I started on the trailer

and eventually got to this. Notice the uneven illumination on the back?

While Laura worked on adding the windows, I went after the suspect wiring. Turned out, after all new wires, it was the bulb holders in the main tail lights messing with the circuit...so now it has new wires AND new main lights...

The mostly finished product

By this time, my dad and stepmom (that's not them in the picture, by the way - that is their driveway but they were out of town when we finally left) had decided we were never leaving, and my mom was HOPING we were never leaving. We did, though, finally get all our stuff loaded in and we geared up to head out...

Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18 19 >