IGNORED

Ride Mode Pro Retro Fit

Chal De Cecco

Chal De Cecco

When I purchased my RS last year, I was under the impression that the Ride Pro Modes package included in the deal contained the Dynamic mode for engine management. The suspension package is there but only Rain and Road for the power plant. The dealer says no, as BMW does not offer the mode in the Pro package even though it's in the advertising. The dealer is even a bit foggy about this practice from BMW. The Dynamic mode can be retro fitted to the bike for $485.

It's a need vs want thing and the $$ is not a determining factor. I know the system works well on the other model BMW's. Has anyone out there have this working option on their Wethead 1200 and if so how did the motor respond?

That's interesting. I have an RT, so you'll have to consider my experience in that light. The Pro mode for your engine really just changes the throttle reponsiveness, not the amount of power. The first time I engaged it, I pulled an impressive wheelie, though that was not my intention. :bike:

But, you already have the most significant part of the package, which controls ABS and TCS intervention. I almost always ride in dynamic mode these days, because it makes the bike feel faster, but I realize that I'm fooling myself. I do like the fact that the throttle response is snappier, but I'm not sure that, in itself, is worth $485.

However, if, as you note, the cost isn't a factor, why not go for it? It is more fun.

As Mike said...it does not change available power. All it it does is change throttle sensitivity. I leave mine in the middle setting road. Dynamic is just too sensitive for me.

My understanding of RMP is that it affects ASC behavior specifically, and it's ASC that manages engine power depending on the setting -- which overrides the manual throttle in certain circumstances. So it's really a fancy "adjustable" ASC.

My understanding of RMP is that it affects ASC behavior specifically, and it's ASC that manages engine power depending on the setting -- which overrides the manual throttle in certain circumstances. So it's really a fancy "adjustable" ASC.

Yes, my response was a bit oversimplified. The Pro mode primarily impacts throttle responsiveness for a moderately aggressive rider like me, but it also dials back the level of intervention of the ASC, making a bit more aggressive cornering available.

Personally, I really cannot tell any difference between "road" and "dynamic" on my RS. I've switched back and forth and mainly leave it in "road". Does your "info" button cycle through about 20 items? That may be connected to the RMP.

Frank

To add more confusion, I ride in "rain" mode in heavy stop and go traffic as that eliminates the touchy throttle syndrome. Much more docile in traffic in rain mode. I don't use dynamic unless I am hustling the bike a bit. Then mainly because I want the suspension tightened up and that is the easy way to do that.

I personalty don't like the Dynamic mode too touchy for me especially in the twisty when throttle control is key. If you wish to firm up the suspension the RT can be switched into firm which is what Dynamic does.

Jay

• 2 months later...

I have an RT as well and leave it in dynamic all the time making the bike feel like you are in control and not the computer. In addition to throttle responsiveness it also allows a slight amount of wheel slip/spin on braking/acceleration.

I get a kick out of how allows the rear wheel to step out slightly on hard acceleration coming out of a tight 90° turn at an intersection. It never lets you get out of shape, but just enough spin to thrill you.