IGNORED

Off on my hols

Steve1962

......on Wednesday, flying to Florida with friends and staying for a couple of weeks. A certain Marty Hill will be popping in to see us and say hi during our stay too.

Steve.

You should arrive in time for a very nice weekend. Still warm here, but changing a little bit daily. Hurricane Matthew will be past Florida by then and hopefully out to sea.

You should arrive in time for a very nice weekend. Still warm here, but changing a little bit daily. Hurricane Matthew will be past Florida by then and hopefully out to sea.

Looking forward to it - a heavy workload and no holiday since the start of June - can't wait!!

Steve

Matthew is not being nice. Getting to close to my neck of the woods. Weekend still looks great.

Flying in tomorrow, arriving in Orlando around 5pm.

Steve

it is starting to get scary. it's trending west and it's a bad ass.

Just rolled into our accommodation after a 20hr journey - weather is calm as I write but we may have to onto our hats for a day or two!!

Steve

Matthew rolled in but we got off lightly, only high winds and rain.

Had visitors on Friday pm, friends that my wife used to work with who emigrated to Australia eight yrs ago.

They came long with a sister and gran.

Got chatting to Lisa, the sister........this is her current day job:

Www.twowheelednomad.com

Very nice people, and Lisa even rides a beemer!

Looking forward to seeing Marty next weekend.

Steve

Edited by Steve1962
Be good to see you again, has it been 3+ years?

3 yrs it is, ah the memories of me, you and Andy basking in the glory of the English summer weather....... :grin::rofl::rofl:

You mean that after 3 or 4 days of rain I gave up and rented a car in order to drive up to see you both? Left the GS chained to a post at the holiday Inn. I was quite happy to retrieve it 3 days later and head to the airport.

florida was fine by saturday. it jogged a bit east as it approached my area. northern florida, ga and sc took it on the chin.

Edited by BFish

I'm about 25 miles inland but only 200 yards from the St. Johns river which is over 3 miles wide here. Technically I was in an evacuation zone but only by 150 yards or so, I decided to ride it out. It was scary for 4-5 hours but other than losing electricity for 48 hours (some neighbors still don't have it), a foot of water in the yard, and a few trees down (3 leaning on the house w/o causing visible damage and a big uprooted one landing inches from crushing an SUV) I was pretty lucky. Others weren't so much, lots of big trees down but it was luck of the draw where they fell.

Have a few pics and video I'll get to later.

It crawled further north than expected, tidewater area of Va got a pretty good lick with winds/flooding. Several large oaks came down in our neighborhood, one unfortunately through the second floor of one our neighbors. We were unscathed on this one. I have two very large oaks that will be getting trimmed and topped shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I was not able to meet with Marty during the holiday, but to make amends here are a few snaps for him and other flying enthusiasts, which I took during the trip.

Steve

What, no Tiger Moths? Really sorry we couldn't meet again. Till next time! :wave:

Hi Marty,

Sorry on both counts.

No doubt our paths will cross at some point.

Steve.