IGNORED

Thinking of buying 04 R1150R

Bosgarage57

My local dealer has an 04 R1150R with 37K miles on it. For the price of $2300. Im really thinking about going an buying it. Anything I should be weary of? It will be my first BMW, I have had a Concours and Buell Ulysses before and various cruisers. I was out of the street bike scene, got into Rail buggies, but im getting the itch again, and at this price Im really thinking about it. I'm in Tennessee so my riding season will be about over so I should be able to do general Maintenance on it.

Things to look for on it?

Is it as top heavy as the Uly and Connie was? My concours was the old ZG1000 (over 600 pounds TOP HEAVY).

Looks like it will be like the Uly compared to weight and seat height, I am 5'10, 190lbs.

Thanks guys

http://www.mtn-motorsportstn.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=2464954&p=2&s=Price&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Man, that's a heck of a price. No bags though, which is kind of a bummer. Looks like some sort of aftermarket tail bag base. Maybe you can buy the tailbag that fits it.

Two things I don't like about that era. First, they have the servo brakes. They are over-engineered, overly complex and expensive to maintain. In short, they suck.

The other hidden problem is the clutch spline issue. Take a look at the linked thread. I would never buy a bike from the six-speed oilhead era unless I had a chance to inspect the splines like in the video.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/858659-worn-splines-through-starter-hole-w-video.html

Thank you for that. I bet the dealer wouldn't let me check that huh. That's what I'm worried about, I did read about the spline issue. Is it a common thing or not? I had an old Vulcan 1500 that the oil gear was plastic and some people's had busted and tore the engine up so I got scared and sold it. That was 8 years ago and the fella is still riding it.

I'd use the end of season argument and offer him $2,100. I think at that price, risk vs reward is very acceptable.

It has a Sargent seat that adds value, too. :thumbsup:

Good luck, let us know.

Pat

Having had a 2000 Connie and now a 1150RT I can give you a quick comparison. So I'm 6 foot and 210 with clothes on but I'm over 60 so factor that in.

The 1150 isn't as top heavy and is certainly a more relaxing, that's not the right word ... composed... ride compared to the connie. The 1150 is much more precise in cornering and has a lot more of a sport feel iMHO.

The ABS brakes are as noted higher maintenance but I like the ABS and after switching the Brake fluid to Motul 5.1 I have noticed less noise and very smooth operation. I would suggest upgrading the brake lines to Spiegler.

Being an 04 you can also check to see if there is a relay for the ignition stick coils. That was a running change. If no relay there is info on how to split the wiring to put in a relay. Nice improvement for just time and a few $.

I did a lot of work on my connie, from stick coils to changing the front calipers and even the transmission output gear upgrade from SISF. I did the 1150 splines but if I had to do it again I would simply do the clutch disk spacer and run it.

It's not too common, but it is a real PITA. First, it immediately stops all forward motion. Second, it's hideously expensive to fix. Third, once you have it, it never goes away unless you install a completely different transmission. It will occur again at regular intervals, usually 30-40K miles.

I would ask for an extended test-ride. Then take it to your house and check it out.

The deal doesn't sound too bad....couple additional things to keep in mind I think....expect to plunk down $800-$1000+ at around 50k for new suspension and another $800+ for fixed/replaced final drive around the 65k mark...maybe fixed/rebuilt tranny ($1500+) at 90k.....YMMV

Something completely unrelated...here in Middle Tennessee the temps are FINALLY cooling down to the point where the season is just picking up!

Good Luck!

Thanks guys, I may pass on it, replacing the final drive sounds scary. I don't ride but maybe 5k a year when I had my bikes, usually just to work and back and the occasional trip to The Dragon or the skyway. I don't mind doing my own general wrenching, but getting into the gearbox sure scares me. And most dealers around here charge $100 an hour or so.

Thank you all for your input.

That price is VERY good, and the mileage is low. And it's at a dealership and dealers don't usually take in junk to sell, they tell an owner to sell it on their own if the dealer sees something. I'd buy it in a second if I were you. Don't be scared off by people listing what problems MIGHT POSSIBLY pop up in the future. Many different problems could happen on any brand's used bikes. Does that mean they WILL? Certainly not. And with that low of a buy-in, even if an issue should occur in the future, you'd still be ahead on cost.

Servo brakes ARE touchy. And they do need to have the recommended flushes done. But you do get used to them. But what makes them "touchy" is also what allows them stop you in a dime with 4 cents change when you REALLY need to stop.

Edited by George S.
That price is VERY good, and the mileage is low. And it's at a dealership and dealers don't usually take in junk to sell, they tell an owner to sell it on their own if the dealer sees something. I'd buy it in a second if I were you. Don't be scared off by people listing what problems MIGHT POSSIBLY pop up in the future. Many different problems could happen on any brand's used bikes. Does that mean they WILL? Certainly not. And with that low of a buy-in, even if an issue should occur in the future, you'd still be ahead on cost.

Servo brakes ARE touchy. And they do need to have the recommended flushes done. But you do get used to them. But what makes them "touchy" is also what allows them stop you in a dime with 4 cents change when you REALLY need to stop.

I agree with George in that it really does seem like a good deal...regarding my earlier cost comments...those are what happened to me....the suspension upgrade may always be necessary (I bought some rebuilt Wilbers for a good price and installed them myself...couple hours maybe) but the final drive and tranny probably wont be necessary...I have an 01' GS and it is a fine cycle...again good luck...

All used rides are a dice roll.

I passed on a low mileage R1100 S that had been set up with nice screen, bags, fit me well.

Concerned about possible "what ifs".

While considering another guy bought it.

He stopped in the dealership years later w/xxxxx more miles on it.

Gas/tires/routine maintenance.

Still looked fabulous...

:dopeslap:

• 2 months later...

A friend of mine bought this bike. Other than it's being lowered for someone really short (back to normal now), it's a great bike. The mounting plate was for a GIvi top box and another friend stumbled upon a used one in great shape for it almost immediately. Just after new year's he found some gloss black system cases for it on Craigslist locally. The finish matches the GIvi almost perfectly, look great on the silver bike and make it an excellent lite tourer.

After his making sure all the maintenance got caught up, it's living life as his commuter/occasional business trip/weekend sanity ride bike.