IGNORED

Torque Wrench Extensions/Recalculations

EffBee

Here is a good link to a web page that shows you how to calculate the torque being applied to a nut/bolt, when you can't get a traditional socket over the nut/bolt, and have to use a different wrench as an extension of the torque wrench.
  • 1 year later...
Link no longer works.

Bill, thanks for pointing out that the site had been taken down. I did a little looking around and found

which I believe has plenty of good information. Of course, I'm not an engineer, but all of the comments about the video seem to agree that it's correct.

Once again,

The Rocketman

So that video was helpful, but setting the wrench at 40 ft-lbs to get a desired true torque value at 47 ft-lbs, using a straight 2" extension, I get.

But, almost always, I add a 2" extension that is VERTICAL to the torque wrench head (sticking out 90 degrees from the end of the torque wrench).

Same calculation, or different?

So that video was helpful, but setting the wrench at 40 ft-lbs to get a desired true torque value at 47 ft-lbs, using a straight 2" extension, I get.

But, almost always, I add a 2" extension that is VERTICAL to the torque wrench head (sticking out 90 degrees from the end of the torque wrench).

Same calculation, or different?

If your 2" extension is 90 deg to a 12" torque wrench, the applied torque at the end of the extension is basically the same as the wrench value.

Edit:

If by "vertical" you mean a socket extension, then the applied value is the same as the wrench value.

Edited by greiffster
  • 1 year later...