Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#975791 - 12/01/16 02:11 PM Chevy Volt 10k mile update  
OoPEZoO Offline
OoPEZoO  Offline

Amish Country, PA
I thought I'd start a new thread for an update, as the original Volt thread LINK was getting pretty old and long.

So I've had this 2016 Volt since the last week of July and just crossed 10k miles with it this morning. My daily commute is 57 miles each way of mostly highway, and I can get about 2/3 of a recharge at work for my return trip home. I do some running around on the weekends using just the battery, but the majority of my driving is commuting where I deplete the battery and the range extender engine kicks on.

Stats so far.....as of this mornings commute
10001 miles total miles
7216 miles of electric use
2785 miles of gas engine use

In warmer weather, I was consistently getting more than the rated 53 miles from the battery. I've got as many 65 miles from it when running local errands and staying off the highway, and getting 55-57 driving normally at highway speeds. That being said, now that the temps are dropping, so is the range. I would say I'm getting about 45 miles of range currently due to the colder weather as the battery wastes some energy heating itself, plus running the heated seats, steering wheel, and heater to keep the cabin comfortable. There are a few tricks I've learned to maximize range, but for the most part I just drive it and let the car do its thing. The gas mileage once the engine kicks in has still been stellar, as I have averaged 45mpg overall when not using the battery. I routinely burn between 0.2 and 0.8 gallons of gas per day. I have to put a tank of gas in it (about 8-gallons per fill up) once every 1200-1800 miles with my current usage. That is fantastic considering it has 300 ftlbs of torque and is so enjoyable to drive.

oil life is sitting at 76%. I have no idea at what % it will tell me to change the oil. Factory spec is every 2 years or when the car tells you to do it. I haven't been able to determine when it will be "time". I've checked the oil a few times and it still looks like nice clean fresh oil. I've very interested to see how long it goes considering I clock about 30k miles a year.

The only hiccup I've had is a blown out sidewall from me lightly clipping a curb. My fault, not the cars, but it was a little frustrating due there being no spare tire. Had to flatbed it to a dealer and get a loaner for a few days. These low rolling resistance tires appear to be prone to sidewall damage (lots of internet complaints). I may put some better tires on it when I wear them out, but from what I've read.....regular tires will cost me about a 10% loss in economy.

Other than that, wow, what a great car. I couldn't be happier with it so far......unless of course it was RWD and handled like a sports car.

-Keith (Yup, thats me...and my rubber chicken)

Making the world a better place, one rubber chicken at a time!

'98 Buell S1 Lightning
'06 R1200GS
'86 Honda CB125
'00 R1100RT (parting out, PM me)
#975792 - 12/01/16 02:34 PM Re: Chevy Volt 10k mile update [Re: OoPEZoO]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Originally Posted By: OoPEZoO
I may put some better tires on it when I wear them out, but from what I've read.....regular tires will cost me about a 10% loss in economy.

That seems like a lot. Standard tires only cause 5-10% of the total drag in the first place, and LRR tires don't reduce rolling resistance all that much. Consumer Reports had this to say:

Originally Posted By: Consumer Reports
•Based on those calculations, the potential fuel economy could rise from 20.9 mpg to 22.2 mpg when driving on tires with the highest rolling resistance versus the lowest.

So the real drop you would expect, in the worst case, would be more like 1.4 percent.

#975793 - 12/01/16 02:39 PM Re: Chevy Volt 10k mile update [Re: OoPEZoO]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
You had to have a loaner for a few days to replace one tire?

*insert witty remark here*
#975795 - 12/01/16 02:50 PM Re: Chevy Volt 10k mile update [Re: szurszewski]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
Our Mini drives me crazy because it doesn't have a spare. Can't you stick a donut in that Volt somewhere? And use the tow money to offset the cost of tires with less rolling resistance?

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#975800 - 12/01/16 03:57 PM Re: Chevy Volt 10k mile update [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
OoPEZoO Offline
OoPEZoO  Offline

Amish Country, PA
Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday
I may put some better tires on it when I wear them out, but from what I've read.....regular tires will cost me about a 10% loss in economy.

That seems like a lot. Standard tires only cause 5-10% of the total drag in the first place, and LRR tires don't reduce rolling resistance all that much. Consumer Reports had this to say:

Originally Posted By: Consumer Reports
•Based on those calculations, the potential fuel economy could rise from 20.9 mpg to 22.2 mpg when driving on tires with the highest rolling resistance versus the lowest.

So the real drop you would expect, in the worst case, would be more like 1.4 percent.

I'm going off of real world numbers from poeple who have swapped to regular tires. I'm also not referring directly to MPG.....I'm referring more to battery range. As a good round number, if I was getting 50 miles per charge with the LRR tires, I should expect that to drop to 45 miles per charge with regular tires. In the grand scheme of things, its not much.......but thats an extra 10 miles per day I would be burning gas. And in the summer, its the difference of burning no gas on my way to work versus the engine kicking on for a few miles. Not a deal breaker, just a data point

Originally Posted By: szurszewski
You had to have a loaner for a few days to replace one tire?

It was a Saturday, and the dealer didn't have the tire in stock. Got the Volt back on Tuesday.

Originally Posted By: greiffster
Our Mini drives me crazy because it doesn't have a spare. Can't you stick a donut in that Volt somewhere? And use the tow money to offset the cost of tires with less rolling resistance?

There is a place to bolt a spare down in the cargo area, and there is a kit available from GM. It bolts down in the cargo area and would take up a large portion of the space. Thats the first unrepairable flat tire I've had in almost 20 years.....and I've been commuting 30k+ miles a year for over 10 of that. I don't like not having a spare, but I'm not planning to start hauling one around. I have a good plug kit and a compressor that neatly fits in the side cubby, plus the factory goo and compressor that came with the car. I'll take my chances.

'98 Buell S1 Lightning
'06 R1200GS
'86 Honda CB125
#975801 - 12/01/16 04:14 PM Re: Chevy Volt 10k mile update [Re: OoPEZoO]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
I'm going off of real world numbers from poeple who have swapped to regular tires.

Re: swapping TO regular tires, this Tire Rack article brings up the following points:

-Any new tire will have more rubber on it than the worn-out one it's replacing, and so will have higher rolling resistance. So you're going from the very best case (a worn-out LRR tire) to the very worst case (a brand-new standard-resistance tire). You would also expect a real MPG drop if you replaced your worn out LRR tires with new LRR tires.

-new tires, with all their extra tread, have larger circumference than the old tires. For the same distance registered on the odometer, they will roll farther than the old tires did - a couple percent farther. So your measured fuel economy will drop by a couple percent just because your new tires are larger, but this is not a real drop in fuel economy; it's a measurement error. You can verify this by using your odometer to measure your commute before and after you change tires; it will seem like work got a couple percent closer to home, even though you burn the same amount of fuel to get there (not accounting for the actual change in rolling resistance described above).

The reverse situation (switching from worn-out standard tires to new LRR tires) would make LRR tires look like they give hardly any benefit at all. They might even seem worse than standard tires.

A fair comparison would have you drive a few hundred miles on new LRR tires, followed by a few hundred miles on new standard tires.

#975803 - 12/01/16 04:27 PM Re: Chevy Volt 10k mile update [Re: OoPEZoO]  
Skywagon Offline
Skywagon  Offline

Bellaire Texas
Keith...fun report thanks...Maybe just buy a 1 spare and keep in your garage..If you ever destroy a tire again maybe someone could bring you your tire versus having to wait to get one.

curious if you have ON-Star and if so did it cover the tow?

David
RT WET
#975809 - 12/01/16 06:30 PM Re: Chevy Volt 10k mile update [Re: Skywagon]  
OoPEZoO Offline
OoPEZoO  Offline

Amish Country, PA
Originally Posted By: Skywagon
Keith...fun report thanks...Maybe just buy a 1 spare and keep in your garage..If you ever destroy a tire again maybe someone could bring you your tire versus having to wait to get one.

curious if you have ON-Star and if so did it cover the tow?

Yes, that had crossed my mind about the spare and will be the likely outcome if I do anything. That was the biggest frustration from when I had the flat. I was less than 2 miles from my house. Having a spare at least in the garage would have saved some headaches.

And yes.....I received 3 years of free OnStar coverage when I bought the car. They had a flatbed to me in about 20 mins and I was back on the road in a loaner in less than an hour. All of that was free of charge, I was just on the hook for the new tire.

'98 Buell S1 Lightning
'06 R1200GS
'86 Honda CB125
#975811 - 12/01/16 06:54 PM Re: Chevy Volt 10k mile update [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
OoPEZoO Offline
OoPEZoO  Offline

Amish Country, PA
Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday
I'm going off of real world numbers from poeple who have swapped to regular tires.

Re: swapping TO regular tires, this Tire Rack article brings up the following points:

-Any new tire will have more rubber on it than the worn-out one it's replacing, and so will have higher rolling resistance. So you're going from the very best case (a worn-out LRR tire) to the very worst case (a brand-new standard-resistance tire). You would also expect a real MPG drop if you replaced your worn out LRR tires with new LRR tires.

-new tires, with all their extra tread, have larger circumference than the old tires. For the same distance registered on the odometer, they will roll farther than the old tires did - a couple percent farther. So your measured fuel economy will drop by a couple percent just because your new tires are larger, but this is not a real drop in fuel economy; it's a measurement error. You can verify this by using your odometer to measure your commute before and after you change tires; it will seem like work got a couple percent closer to home, even though you burn the same amount of fuel to get there (not accounting for the actual change in rolling resistance described above).

The reverse situation (switching from worn-out standard tires to new LRR tires) would make LRR tires look like they give hardly any benefit at all. They might even seem worse than standard tires.

A fair comparison would have you drive a few hundred miles on new LRR tires, followed by a few hundred miles on new standard tires.

I get it.....and this has all been beat to death on the Volt forum I frequent. In the end, everyone has lost about 10% of their battery range when replacing the LLR tires with regular......regardless of the age/mileage on the LRR tires. Its hard to explain unless you are used to driving the car, but any effect to your battery range is very noticeable. This is not so much the case for a typical gas car. A 1-2mpg hit on a regular gas car could almost go unnoticed on a full tank of gas, but a 5 mile drop on 50 mile range is very noticeable.

For instance, in the summer I could tell you the exact location (within 1/4 mile) where on my commute I was going to change from electric to gas. You get used to it and get a feel for how different things effect your range (speed/wind/weather). Things get VERY consistent. When people swap tires and all of a sudden that changeover point shifts by 5 miles, its really noticeable.

I've been fighting with the idea of a set of snow tires for the winter, but haven't made a decision yet. I would imagine a swap like that would really stunt the battery range.

'98 Buell S1 Lightning
'06 R1200GS
'86 Honda CB125
#975813 - 12/01/16 07:39 PM Re: Chevy Volt 10k mile update [Re: OoPEZoO]  
Skywagon Offline
Skywagon  Offline

Bellaire Texas
out of curiosity, are there any published numbers or experiences on how many time the batteries can be drained fully and charged again...I suspect 1000's but just curious.

David
RT WET
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3