IGNORED

ROUGH STARTING

rcassin

Hi Guys on these cold days, in the 30s, only one cylinder is starting on my 2000 RTP 1100. the 2nd when starts about 10 seconds later. It backfires a little but after about 30 seconds, she runs fine. I don't know the last time is was tuned. I did recently change the fuel filter and that was dated 2004! I did nothing yet. i suspect the plugs need to be changed. But was wondering if there might be a common problem for these bikes???Thanks, Rob

I don't know the last time is was tuned.

They "commonly" require periodic maintenance. If they don't receive periodic maintenance, there are "common" problems.

Evening Rob

New spark plugs is a great place to start.

As a rule, on the RT-P, the problem with a cylinder not firing at first start up is the internal spark plug wire sparking to the metallic outer RFI covering in the coil cover area.

That is a difficult thing to diagnose without having new (very expensive) plug wires or RT-P coil to install.

Usually much cheaper to install regular civilian RT coil & wires.

There is also the possibility of the L/H side spark plug oil fouling during overnight parking if bike is allowed to sit on side stand. (oil fouling usually starts to fire after a few seconds of engine running)