IGNORED

OEM anti-teft alarm

temesvar

I have the bike for a year now. Did not pay much attention to the box that is in the tail section, but lately found out it is a alarm.

I don't know if the unit is in working condition. Downloaded a manual,(DWA6) purchased a remote for the alarm from a BMW dealer.

My bike is a 2008 RT. Was told the remote should work with my model/year bike.I am not able to pair the remote with the bike's alarm.

My question here is: can anyone point out how i could check if the alarm is even functional? Or is the remote not compatible with the alarm?

Didn't the dealer check that the remote functioned?

Necessary.

Can immobilize bike, cause issues etc,

I would not mess w/unknown unless you have a way to get back to dealer on a tow.

Even if they want a small fee, have the dealership show you how it works and functions.

If they can't make sure it won't wake up and strand you.

Can't imagine selling you the remote w/out verifying.

Morning temesvar

Are you SURE that your bike has antitheft alarm?

Does your bike have tire pressure monitoring?

The tire pressure monitoring system uses the same type box in rear of bike only without the anti-theft guts inside the box.

Can you post a (close-up) picture of the box that you have in the rear of your bike showing the wire harness (OR harness) going into the box?

Or have your dealer run your VIN in their computer to see if your bike came with anti-theft or if it was possibly dealer added & dealer programmed later.

Morning temesvar

The tire pressure monitoring system uses the same type box in rear of bike only without the anti-theft guts inside the box.

Can you post a (close-up) picture of the box that you have in the rear of your bike showing the wire harness (OR harness) going into the box?

Or have your dealer run your VIN in their computer to see if your bike came with anti-theft or if it was possibly dealer added & dealer programmed later.

parts-16258-picture70921-img-0553.jpg

I would not be surprised at all if you are right, DR!!

Here is a pic of it. Was told it is the alarm.

And yes, the bike has the TPM.

Didn't the dealer check that the remote functioned?

Necessary.

Can immobilize bike, cause issues etc,

I would not mess w/unknown unless you have a way to get back to dealer on a tow.

Even if they want a small fee, have the dealership show you how it works and functions.

If they can't make sure it won't wake up and strand you.

Can't imagine selling you the remote w/out verifying.

I never thought of it as it can create problems. i have installed a few aftermarket alarms without issues, but yes, this is different.

Dealer i bought the remote from, on line, is at 400 km (250 ml) from here, and right now, here is winter!However, when ordered

the remote, they asked for the vin# just to confirm that the remote will work with my bike model/year.

Morning temesvar

parts-16258-picture70921-img-0553.jpg

I would not be surprised at all if you are right, DR!!

Here is a pic of it. Was told it is the alarm.

And yes, the bike has the TPM.

Afternoon temesvar

No picture showed up.

The alarm system on my 2005 1200GS has a battery that died after about 5 or 6 years and shut it down. It's dead again but I haven't bothered to replace again it since it's a pain to get to and I don't often use the alarm. Could that be the case here?

Just for info regarding alarm battery life. My factory fit alarm on a late 2006 RT is configured to set itself after the ignition is switched off, and still works fine with the original internal battery.

Hi Everyone,

I just have three weeks with my 2006 R1200RT, I never asked the previous owner about the alarm as I was not aware these bikes had that feature available directly from factory, on some occasions when I start the bike, I get a brief flashing of a battery shape and in one occasion had the DWA message, but it only lasts less than a second and then they dissapear.

- My questions are, does my bike have an anti theft sensor on the key and the bike only starts with it?

- Is it a problem making a second set programed for it (I had the plastic copy as a back up key)

- Do I need to replace the battery on the compartment where this alarm is located?

- The Owner Manual does not point or indicate anything about location / procedure of changing battery if this is neccesary, so any pointers will be great.

- Will I have an issue using the bike if I keep ignoring this messages (again, I have only seen this display images on two or three times since I got the bike three weeks ago).

Thank you all in advance for your support, I did not intend the highjack the post, but I guess it is somehow related too.

Cheers!!

Luis

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, D.R., i was gone on vacation for a week.

Am posting a new picture here. I can see it, and i hope you can see it as well. If not, i don't know how else to do it.

parts-16258-picture71249-177.jpg

Sorry, D.R., i was gone on vacation for a week.

Am posting a new picture here. I can see it, and i hope you can see it as well. If not, i don't know how else to do it.

parts-16258-picture71249-177.jpg

Afternoon temesvar

Still no picture showing--you can probably see it as you hosted it from your computer but we have no picture showing & no valid link that works.

What should i do then?

Temesvar,

Are the pictures on your computer, or on a web site (like smugmug, photobucket, Flickr, etc.?)

You can't post pictures directly on this site. Instead, the pictures have to be 'hosted' on another site, then a link for the picture is embedded in a post, allowing the off-site picture to be displayed.

There are instructions for doing this in the "Discussion Board Support" section.

Otherwise, you may be able to send the pictures (by email) to another member to post on your behalf.

Is this any help? This is a photo of the alarm box in my 05 RT which came factory installed when I bought the bike new in 05. The remote is needed to turn the alarm on and off and when it's on, a red dot light blinks on the dash panel of the bike. I haven't used it lately and don't know if the battery in the alarm unit is still good. I've replaced it at east once over the years but don't recall what battery it takes. If you have the manual for it, it should tell you what battery is needed. Hope this helps. :grin:

lE9zTIzzuLWBeD18JDCGLEmWUooVfUBOK7HAulTFpWB2MK3HBxH7ETVfKdqMlGDa6d2di1UVdNp9RbB64u6W5uly6HblEB1KHM4tEvUji2rpxUVmrlkvQtQKx8J8zzCvNH81ldmjNAFAzra7A3xy-Mph6HXT_vIsWdoCkDInuyZEuMvos6nCB-QfFn9mOVZV0mQDW4xFmEmS9PjJCS9pjZ_gedTkaCM5KjfJN1RMEA7_issasaPk2OBiXDlcIrurod6OsP8gYOkKJBynbmmBPK2m-pP9ZCX1wr0_0vyzc7Aqxs-8ahoX2HizvGz8dIDrk7QXiDN232XSTkepqXCOO434ijvYMU26ytMPD1WNs8jsxic6i36anK_V8Hox4K5p4diZtC7eCCgU6s3RHgWJGgsB8Lc14DRYkV4pRTmf8VwqJ9fvCq5_LmQFQtxGCz6ZVIPSxb6nONhWzGo4-KtiQ9579z_Ot615sshdEOeiPL8ZqmDj7dH3U2ZBFg0oqTpgMYl3A_B1JtugGSsFcRdiSgQjRaDagLY-RBh664z4TzWMEf60DJ0W3A8neN6MPYayeriFf24YaYf_vkzpv9ywmbBi3ynjvSsSt0bYc5zxaWSRt21Sxkzg4A=w1600-h1195-no?.jpg

Roy

What should i do then?

Temesvar,

Are the pictures on your computer, or on a web site (like smugmug, photobucket, Flickr, etc.?)

You can't post pictures directly on this site. Instead, the pictures have to be 'hosted' on another site, then a link for the picture is embedded in a post, allowing the off-site picture to be displayed.

There are instructions for doing this in the "Discussion Board Support" section.

Otherwise, you may be able to send the pictures (by email) to another member to post on your behalf.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have to look into it, since this is becoming a burden. And yes, the pictures are "hosted" on another site!

Is this any help? This is a photo of the alarm box in my 05 RT which came factory installed when I bought the bike new in 05. The remote is needed to turn the alarm on and off and when it's on, a red dot light blinks on the dash panel of the bike. I haven't used it lately and don't know if the battery in the alarm unit is still good. I've replaced it at east once over the years but don't recall what battery it takes. If you have the manual for it, it should tell you what battery is needed. Hope this helps. :grin:

lE9zTIzzuLWBeD18JDCGLEmWUooVfUBOK7HAulTFpWB2MK3HBxH7ETVfKdqMlGDa6d2di1UVdNp9RbB64u6W5uly6HblEB1KHM4tEvUji2rpxUVmrlkvQtQKx8J8zzCvNH81ldmjNAFAzra7A3xy-Mph6HXT_vIsWdoCkDInuyZEuMvos6nCB-QfFn9mOVZV0mQDW4xFmEmS9PjJCS9pjZ_gedTkaCM5KjfJN1RMEA7_issasaPk2OBiXDlcIrurod6OsP8gYOkKJBynbmmBPK2m-pP9ZCX1wr0_0vyzc7Aqxs-8ahoX2HizvGz8dIDrk7QXiDN232XSTkepqXCOO434ijvYMU26ytMPD1WNs8jsxic6i36anK_V8Hox4K5p4diZtC7eCCgU6s3RHgWJGgsB8Lc14DRYkV4pRTmf8VwqJ9fvCq5_LmQFQtxGCz6ZVIPSxb6nONhWzGo4-KtiQ9579z_Ot615sshdEOeiPL8ZqmDj7dH3U2ZBFg0oqTpgMYl3A_B1JtugGSsFcRdiSgQjRaDagLY-RBh664z4TzWMEf60DJ0W3A8neN6MPYayeriFf24YaYf_vkzpv9ywmbBi3ynjvSsSt0bYc5zxaWSRt21Sxkzg4A=w1600-h1195-no?.jpg

Roy

Yours looks slightly different then what i have, although the connector is the same. Do you have TPM? Tire pressure monitor?

Yours looks slightly different then what i have, although the connector is the same. Do you have TPM? Tire pressure monitor?

It has a part number on it. 6575769769501.

Does yours say that, then it's an alarm.

I made a mistake believing that it could be alarm, without proper information.

I even purchased a remote and wondered why is not working. At D.R.'s suggestion,

i asked a dealer, to check using the vin #, if the bike came with a alarm. The response:

no, not factory, but the box, just where the alarm is to be, hosts the TPM.

And yes, a OEM alarm can be installed, and a one hour would be charged to have the

dealer install and program it. Is probably what am going to do.

Thank you all for help, and

Merry Christmas!

FWIW

I wouldn't bother.

BMW's low on the theft radar, at least it used to be that way.

Problems w/the alarm on the other hand, well, saw more than I wanted to.

But, has been a while and those with alarm systems can chime in and express their feelings wrt usefulness etc.

Don't know of an alarm on a BMW saving the bike from theft, do know of severalish that had bike immobilized keeping the owner from riding.

YMMV

Best wishes.

I made a mistake believing that it could be alarm, without proper information.

I even purchased a remote and wondered why is not working. At D.R.'s suggestion,

i asked a dealer, to check using the vin #, if the bike came with a alarm. The response:

no, not factory, but the box, just where the alarm is to be, hosts the TPM.

And yes, a OEM alarm can be installed, and a one hour would be charged to have the

dealer install and program it. Is probably what am going to do.

Morning temesvar

On that hour to program the alarm in, sounds about right for labor, BUT, make sure that also includes the alarm program itself. There might be additional money to purchase the actual theft alarm program from BMW.

You might also call your insurance company as they might offer a discount on insurance if your bike has addition theft protection added.

Now THAT is another thing good to know! Would have never

thought that the alarm, purchased new, would be without

the program. Just the alarm is us$294 + 13%tax (Canada,eh..)

+ us$92 labor totals us$444.Am not sure if it is really worth it.

I don't need it at home, nor at work. Just when traveling.

Anybody else has the OEM alarm and finds it well worth the money?

And,can there be complications?