IGNORED

Musings on Cold Weather Riding

fastlarry

Yesterday the temperature dropped onto the high 30's and, not having ridden my 2016 RT for a week at least, I thought I would take it out. Put on my Kanetsu heated jacket, Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece suit over regular street clothes. Leather boots over medium wool socks. Insulated Olympia leather gloves and helmet.

I rode for about an hour and a half and started to feel a chill setting in. Had the grip warmers to level IV at times, which is hot! Seat at level II. My head was warm; I had a neck sleeve to keep air off my neck; feet didn't get cold. I could easily at a layer of wool as long underwear, top and bottom without bulking up too much. That might add to the time out in the elements wherein I am comfortably warm.

This setup is not bulky in the least; I hate the feeling of being stuffed inside clothes to keep warm. I recall in my early years of riding in cold weather all we could do was add layer upon layer and make some feeble attempt to block the wind with a Nylon windbreaker, newspapers, rain suit jacket.

I have started days on trips where the temperature is in the 30's early in the morning; you know that in a few hours things will heat up and one will be comfortable. It is disconcerting to start cold and know it's not going to warm up, maybe even get colder. Like riding in the heat one has to watch for body temperature effects. Many times I came in from rides chilled to the bone shivering uncontrollably. Not good.

Those are my musings, FWIW.

Larry

I really hate being cold so 3 years ago I bought a complete heated ensemble: gloves, jacket liner, pants, and socks. 37 degrees when I left the house for work this morning and was toasty warm the whole ride. Really could have just got by with the jacket liner and gloves but I wanted to check everything out. Yeah, I know I live in Florida but we do have a few cold days.

Edited by narcosis

I chuckle when I read about riders taking off when it is in the 30's with not too much gear on....and saying they were not cold....on the ride to work! Well, under an hour means very little. Let it stay in the 30's and see how you feel in 4 hours and beyond! I have gear that is too large for anything but very cold rides. Don't like the feel of tight clothing. Heated jacket/gloves/pants/insoles. BUT...I am working on a different setup not using all the heated gear. I hate getting cold at rest stops when the heated gear is off! Truly a different world riding in the cold. Don't mention 38 degree rain........

I'm still commuting every day here in NJ. 108 miles per day round trip. It's below 30 most mornings when I leave, and just around freezing when I get to PA in the very early AM. RT performing like a champ. W&S heated liner and Gerbings gloves from my 2010 heated gear comparo still performing well. The Sidi Deep Rain boots I just tested are a bit chillier inside than the much more expensive Gore Tex ADV versions I tested previously a few years ago.

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy

I've ridden four plus hours without heated gear in the 20's, layering is the key and I don't layer more than four.

My commute now is 50 miles one way, with traffic, that can easily exceed an hour. This morning was 26*, coming home was 32*. Not quite cold enough throughout the day for heated gear yet but last year was the first year I started wearing it regularly, essentially when the temps stay in the 20s.

I've gone down to 7* without heated gear so I know I can handle the cold.

Everyone acclimates differently, I like to wear the least amount of gear when it starts getting colder so that I can get accustomed to the colder air.

When your core body temp gets to 95F you are into hypothermia and in trouble. One doesn't get acclimated to hypothermia. It is simply heat transfer and it obeys its own laws.

Because I ride year 'round, my one nod to heated gear is a pair of battery powered (rechargeable) socks. I have a lot of technical gear from my days as an avid cyclist that I wear under my Aerostitch Transit or 3-layer Rev'It Sand suits, coupled with the wind protection afforded by the RT -- further enhanced by a "barn door" ZTeknik wind screen in winter -- is enough to keep me reasonably comfortable down to about 24 degrees. The one exception is my feet, which, even in GoreTex boots, stick out from the fairing enough to court frostbite. The socks really help on that score, and I don't have to worry about plugging into the bike, so I never get caught up on the dismount.

Edited by Fathom

Because I ride year 'round, my one nod to heated gear is a pair of battery powered (rechargeable) socks. I have a lot of technical gear from my days as an avid cyclist that I wear under my Aerostitch Transit or 3-layer Rev'It Sand suits, coupled with the wind protection afforded by the RT -- further enhanced by a "barn door" ZTeknik wind screen in winter -- is enough to keep me reasonably comfortable down to about 24 degrees. The one exception is my feet, which, even in GoreTex boots, stick out from the fairing enough to court frostbite. The socks really help on that score, and I don't have to worry about plugging into the bike, so I never get caught up on the dismount.

What brand are those socks?

Thanks!

When your core body temp gets to 95F you are into hypothermia and in trouble. One doesn't get acclimated to hypothermia. It is simply heat transfer and it obeys its own laws.

I've gone down with hypothermia when I was in the infantry, I know it's effects.

Everyone is different, hence, those that live in colder climates can walk around in t-shirts while others need fully insulated coats. Flip it over for warmer climates where the acclimated will be perfectly fine function in 120* heat, yet those that live in cooler climates will suffer heatstroke by doing the same activities.

Acclimate your body to its surrroundings and you will find that you need less of the coverings for warmth.

Winter riding is, to me, the best riding because of the clean crisp air and clear unhazy views. The only thing that stops me from going out on two wheels is the call for icy conditions but I have disregarded that in the past and have slide the bike down.

Edited by Living the Dream

I have ridden year round in Pa. without heated gear until five years ago , I went with the Gerbings LT jacket and G3 gloves with a dual temp controller , works very well even at twenty degrees. Two years ago I visited friends in Wilmington,NC in late March , a ten hour ride from my home , it was 20deg when I left and never got above freezing until the first gas stop in VA and never hit forty until I was in NC the jacket and gloves performed very well , beats the old bulky layering system I used to use.

I'm still commuting every day here in NJ. 108 miles per day round trip. It's below 30 most mornings when I leave, and just around freezing when I get to PA in the very early AM. RT performing like a champ. W&S heated liner and Gerbings gloves from my 2010 heated gear comparo still performing well. The Sidi Deep Rain boots I just tested are a bit chillier inside than the much more expensive Gore Tex ADV versions I tested previously a few years ago.

-MKL

Moshe, do the LCs have a black ice warning indicator? Does it pop up on your commute?

Cold weather, No problem, I usually know when to stop. Black ice concerns me though. I try to stay within the auto tire tracks, but you just don't see black ice coming. Thoughts?

Layers.

Silk make a great base, packs small, versatile.

Heat, for your core and extremities.

Stay hydrated, too many ignore that in cold weather.

Gerbings jacket, gloves, balaclava, neck gaiter.

Silk sock liners, wool socks.

700 miles below freezing temps was longest, no issues.

BMW made a great windstopper balaclave that is great.

In reallyt cold, wet, I use a silk glove liner and then put Aerostitch Triple Digit covers on. That adds probably 10-15 degrees of warmth to the hands, a critical safety factor, IMO.

O have heard silk is a great base layer where do you get such stuff? Outfitters?

After the first snow, here, the roads will get all gritty with sand and salt. That will keep me off them more than the cold.

O have heard silk is a great base layer where do you get such stuff? Outfitters?

Try these folks: I have only bought silk glove liners from them but they seem to have all the rest of the silk layers.

Wintersilks.com

I am new, 11/2016. I bought a 2000 R1100RT and I am guessing it is prett much stock. I am 6' and even riding in the lowest seat position my head/helmet gets buffeted and in cold weather as it is now I was wondering what alternatives to the current wind screen? Wind spoiler?

Rick Ward

I am new, 11/2016. I bought a 2000 R1100RT and I am guessing it is prett much stock. I am 6' and even riding in the lowest seat position my head/helmet gets buffeted and in cold weather as it is now I was wondering what alternatives to the current wind screen? Wind spoiler?

Rick Ward

Give Cee Baileys a try, it was the best I ever had (out of many) on my 00 RT. Great build quality, nice folks.

But then again I'm just a fool in a clown suit.

6'3"-230.

After the first snow, here, the roads will get all gritty with sand and salt. That will keep me off them more than the cold.

Here in PA. they seem to over react to every snow or predicted snowfall by salting the bejesus out of the roads. There is maybe an inch of snow now and the roads have already been salted. Having said that, I still ride year round if the roads are clear and have never had any ill effects from salt, cinders, etc. I'm on my 4th RT in 20 years and have never had any rust or deteriation that I can see.

I once read that the salt doesn't have any real ill effects until it gets warmer so if it gets above freezing, I rinse off the bike.

In terms of warmth, I wear Gerbings jacket liner and socks if necessary.

I've ridden many times down to freezing or slightly below. It's pretty achievable with good gear, but I don't find the aesthetic rewards to be terribly great. Usually by the time it gets to that point around these parts the leaves have fallen, the crops have been harvested, and you're looking at multiple shades of brown.

I have a heated jacket liner and gloves, a heated seat and grips, and plenty of Gore-Tex gear and insulating layers, and when I head out in cold weather I'm snug as a bug in a rug. Where I find that occasionally make a tactical error is in cool weather riding. Sometimes when heading out on a perfect-for-riding day (for me, around 70 - 80 degrees), I'll find myself returning when temperatures have dipped into the low 60s. If you're not suitably attired for that sort of temperature, discomfort can sneak up on you fairly quickly.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I've ridden many times down to freezing or slightly below. It's pretty achievable with good gear, but I don't find the aesthetic rewards to be terribly great. Usually by the time it gets to that point around these parts the leaves have fallen, the crops have been harvested, and you're looking at multiple shades of brown.

Agreed. Apart from the novelty of riding in mid-winter in the first or second year after I started riding, the only time I'll ride in the 30's and 40's is if I have to get somewhere, e.g. coming home from a trip.

Back in 2005 (I think), I experienced a bizarre situation returning home from El Paseo. 600-mile day on intestate highways, mid 30's and rainy most of the way. My upper body was well-covered: riding jacket, sweatshirt, BMW heated vest, T-shirt, rain gloves. My legs were not so well-insulated: Draggin' jeans plus rain overpants. With all that upper-body insulation, plus the heated vest and the RT's wind protection, I never got hypothermic as a whole, but my legs got cold. You know how when your lips get cold on a winter day and you can't move them quickly enough to speak clearly? Same thing happened to my legs: I stopped for gas at one point and found that I had difficultly walking because I couldn't make my legs move quickly. Weird. It took a couple of minutes of just hanging out at the gas station (without that 75-MPH slipstream) before my legs warmed up to enable walking at a normal pace.

This brings to mind another issue with cold-weather riding: speed matters a lot. There's a big difference between cruising twisty backroads at 40-60 MPH and bombing the interstate at 75-80; the latter sucks heat out of you at an incredible rate.

It was a chilly 11 degrees when I left Chi-Town for Florida on my RT on New Year's Day, 2002. The trip was to get it south to store it for a few months at DCB's until retrieval a few months later.

I hauled ass, rode for hours, and it was cold. Had nylon thermals, Gerbing jacket, and a Darien, BMW pants and regular gloves with the grips on full heat. I had one of those Sliks balaclavas that really helped. The legs were indeed numb. The few people that were out on the road that early morning thought I was nuts. They might have been right.

I'm still thawing out.

Besides the roads being slippery with sand and salt, tires are cold and may not warm up enough to provide good grip on the pavement. I've had that condition where my legs get chilled and so stiff I can't walk normally. Weird.

11 degrees! How far did you have to go to see some moderation?

Edited by fastlarry

This Thursday it's going to be low of 10 and high of 25 here. I just picked up some new California Heat electric gloves for test, so the 108 mile round trip to work might be just the ticket to see if they work or not! God, I hope they do!

-MKL

This Thursday it's going to be low of 10 and high of 25 here. I just picked up some new California Heat electric gloves for test, so the 108 mile round trip to work might be just the ticket to see if they work or not! God, I hope they do!

-MKL

He gave his fingers for journalism.

-MKL

He gave his fingers for journalism.

Were you thinking of a move to Carolina Moshe?

Terry

Terry

Planning on leaving for Florida soon. Forecast for departure day is low 20's rising to near 40 at my first destination, 8-10 hours. So I'll be layering up and using a heated jacket. I do feel a bit like the Michelin man, though. I'm a bit concerned what it'll be like when I come back the week after MLK day.

Temperature isn't the only weather consideration. 35 and rain is a total heat suck. 35 and sunny can be nice. 35 after dark is cold.

I've ridden into the high teens but as I get older I like the cold less and less. I don't need to prove anything to anyone and unless there's a pressing need, I don't generally ride below high 30's (dashboard snowflake temperature) any more. Besides, it's nice to know if my car still runs.

Sitting in living room looking out at a blanket of snow. 12 degrees is the temp. Bike tucked away in garage, fireplace cooking . Can't wait to get out for a ride.

Over Thanksgiving, I decided to leave my northern Illinois home and head to the Smoky mountains. 24 degrees. 25 year old electric vest and chaps. Was a little cool for about 5 hrs . Wasn't too impressed with the heated cloths. When I got to my room 12 hrs later, I noticed the wires had pulled out of the connection. Now I ain't no rocket surgeon, but I do think the wires have sumptin to do with the heating ability of the vest and chaps. Great time riding the Blue Ridge, Dragon, Cherohala etc. Not too much traffic and the cold mornings seemed to keep almost all the bikes away. Maybe the fact that there were 53 forest fires presently burning helped keep the crowds away. Fixed my wiring, and a good thing too as it was 19 degrees the morning I left for home. Perfectly comfortable. The trouble with long distance cold weather riding is that the daylight hours are short and I don't like being out on pavement that could have ice on it in the dark. Also, cold tires do degrade performance. First turn in the Dragon I cut the apex a little to tight, got on the white stripe and both front and rear washed out on me. Foot peg, boot, and some under bike Tupperware dragging on the ground. Caught the drifting bike, kept it upright and decided to take it a lttle easier in the turns. Great five days of riding with a bud who came up from Florida. Other thought on cold weather. When I m ride up in the north where road salt is used, I always hose the bike down after riding. Not sure if it gets all the corrosive salt off but it helps. Added benifit of multi layers. Lots of cushion if you do fall ! Enjoy

I moved to Mexico about 9 years ago. Now a cold morning is 7 or 8 C (45 F) and it only happens for a week or so at a time in December-February time frame. I'm at 1500 m (5000 ft). At the coast it is a lot warmer. I have lived, worked and ridden in enough cold weather. I don't miss it.

got the gerbings jacket and gloves, my bike only has a clear wind screen so I added "wingscreens" that mount on the mirror stalks - those alone cut down on my biggest cold points which have been my hands. I found that heated handgrips are nice but unless you get the direct wind off the hands they won't mean much when it gets really cold.

This is a good time as any to ask it: how do you keep your feet from freezing? I'd blame my dicky heart but I clearly remember having frozen toes when riding back from school at 17 already, so it's a long running battle I've never won.

I've tried pretty much everything: every combination of layering, wearing larger boots and putting stuffing in them, putting garbage bags over my boots, even those small warm patches you glue to the bottom of your socks (obviously generic brand)... nothing has worked so far.

I am tempted by battery-powered socks, but all reviews I've read so far on hunting and fishing websites point to overpriced junk.

Before I do something I'll seriously regret (read: fork out €300 for Dane's battery powered heated boots), has anyone any suggestion here?

Thanks!

This is a good time as any to ask it: how do you keep your feet from freezing?

I too wanted something better than the chemical packs for foot warmth. I read about the battery powered as well a bike powered socks. Seems too many have problems with the wires in the socks, either breakage or they can feel them with their feet. I bought a pair of the Gerbings heated insoles. I was skeptical that they would be effective. Even when I am cold elsewhere my feet are now warm with just a pair of normal riding socks. I don't have fancy boots, just a pair of Tourmaster waterproof boots. You cannot feel tell the insole is different from a normal insole. Walk in comfort. The power wire isn't too obtrusive, my velcro flap holds it when not connected or needed.

Gerbings insoles are good.

I've used battery socks/ok.

With the heated jacket/silk under, heated gloves/silk under/aerostitch wind/rain over and heated seats a lot of body is warmed.

I wear thin sock liners/wool socks. and in extreme cold put a garbage bag over my feet and slide into boot (SIDI On Road).

I get almost 2 hours from this in well below freezing temp.

The key to me is stopping then to warm and hydrate.

I also consciously try to move my toes/feet aroundin the boot while riding to increase blood flow/circulation.

Everyone is different. I never tried rain boot gaiters but imagine they could add warmth and win blockage that would help.

Lots of heated options out there now for legs.

The more you keep wind out (I've used the balaclava/neck gaiter set up forever) and warm the core/extremities the warmer the blood circulaing is going to be.

Still better than riding in our heat...

I've never tried it because I've never taken long winter rides but I had a rider friend who swore by a pair of Totes pulled over the outside of winter Goretex riding boots being an excellent added wind break. The Totes seal out all wind and they're so tight they're like a fixed outer skin on the boot.

When I was in my mid 20's a buddy of mine and I rode our bikes from our respective homes in Cincinnati and Louisville to the Daytona 200 race in Daytona FL. It was early March and when I left it was 28F. I was layered up to the point I couldn't move. His outer garment was an Army field jacket; mine was a home-made down jacket. I thought I had the ticket for keeping warm-wrong. The wind compressed the down so that it became worthless as insulation and I froze. I had battery powered heated socks, bought just for this trip and untested. They cooked my feet for about 45 minutes to the point they were soggy with sweat. Then the battery crapped out and my feet froze as well. Footwear was US Army issue combat boots. Was I glad to get to southern Georgia and feel things warming up.

Riding home was worse; we hit a cold front in Macon, GA, with rain and sleet all the way to Louisville.

My, how things have changed.

Edited by fastlarry

I believe they're Gyde by Gerbing 7V Heated Socks. A bit bulky, but reasonable functional. The downside is that, with really burly socks, they probably won't fit in your boots. With normal weight (winter)socks, they make it a bit snug, but worth it on very cold days.

Thanks people.

Gerbing insoles are not available here; only their heated socks (both 12V and 7V flavors). I've already had both priced and socks plus batteries came out at more expensive than the Dane boots (7V) or even far more expensive (12V). And with King Dollar making a spectacular comeback they are about to get a whole lot more expensive.

Around 1970 I was stationed at Edwards Air Force Base and I had a home in the Ontario area. No car, just a 1969 Honda 750 with a bikini fairing and a top box. I'd ride home after work on most Fridays and ride back to base early on Monday morning. There was no heated clothing around then, at least none that I knew of. In the winter on these rides, I'd put on so many layers that I could not bend my arms to touch my face. I had to put the helmet on, and then zip up my top layer of clothing. Many layers of the best backpacking thermal clothing and down gear available, with a top layer of brilliant orange, a winter−weight insulated flight suit, topped off with a white Bell, open−face helmet with a full, clear shield, a cotton handkerchief worn in a "robber mask" configuration, three−finger, leather sheepskin mitts, and I was ready. At least so I thought.

I'd ride up the 15, then cut across Cajon Junction to the 138, through the Wrightwood area. One morning as I was nearing the pass, I hit what I later realized was black ice. One second all was good and the next, the bike snapped to the left and things seemed to be going by sideways. The next second, the bike snapped to the right and I was moving forward again. It happened so fast that I didn't have time to react. Probably a good thing too, as it probably would have put me into a high−side get off. I rolled off the throttle and pulled to the side of the road. I was already stiff from the cold so it took me a little while to find the kickstand and dismount. Then it started, uncontrollable shaking due to the adrenalin rush. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground, my knees had given out. It took a couple of minutes before it subsided and I was able to get up, remount, and continue to base. By the time I arrived, my hands and feet were numb, and I had trouble bending my arms and legs. The news reported that the temperature that morning at Edwards was 11 degrees. Ah, to be young, invincible, and stupid.

Years later I discovered heated clothing and things were never the same after.

Around 1970 I was stationed at Edwards Air Force Base and I had a home in the Ontario area. No car, just a 1969 Honda 750 with a bikini fairing and a top box. I'd ride home after work on most Fridays and ride back to base early on Monday morning. There was no heated clothing around then, at least none that I knew of. In the winter on these rides, I'd put on so many layers that I could not bend my arms to touch my face. I had to put the helmet on, and then zip up my top layer of clothing. Many layers of the best backpacking thermal clothing and down gear available, with a top layer of brilliant orange, a winter−weight insulated flight suit, topped off

with a white Bell, open−face helmet with a full, clear shield, a cotton handkerchief worn in a "robber mask" configuration, three−finger, leather sheepskin mitts, and I was ready. At least so I thought.

I'd ride up the 15, then cut across Cajon Junction to the 138, through the Wrightwood area. One morning as I was nearing the pass, I hit what I later realized was black ice. One second all was good and the next, the bike snapped to the left and things seemed to be going by sideways. The next second, the bike snapped to the right and I was moving forward again. It happened so fast that I didn't have time to react. Probably a good thing too, as it probably would have put me into a high−side get off. I rolled off the throttle and pulled to the side of the road. I was already stiff from the cold so it took me a little while to find the kickstand and dismount. Then it started, uncontrollable shaking due to the adrenalin rush. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground, my knees had given out. It took a couple of minutes before it subsided and I was able to get up, remount, and continue to base. By the time I arrived, my hands and feet were numb, and I had trouble bending my arms and legs. The news reported that the temperature that morning at Edwards was 11 degrees. Ah, to be young, invincible, and stupid.

Years later I discovered heated clothing and things were never the same after.

I bet there were days when that was the best commute in the world. I can almost smell the desert and see the sunrise.

Great story (and it's a good life ain't it). It's 20 below here.

Edited by T.M. Roe