IGNORED

New Battery Dimensions

Rob L

Has anyone measured the stock battery from a R1200RT LC? any recommendations for a replacement? Looks like Yuasa and a few others have replacements. I have suspected a battery issue since last spring when I needed a jump start at a motel in CO. I have had several times when it barely started. Yesterday I got half a turn and then nothing. I have had a BMW maintainer on the battery for 3 weeks. The voltage reads 12.3V on the dash. I jump started and the voltage read 14.3V I think its time........

Everyone's computer must be frozen :P I pulled my battery and got approximate measurements 5-7/8" long, 3-3/8" wide, 6-1/4" high. Kind of a weird system holding the battery in place. There is a plastic piece that connects in 3 places and a rubber tension strap. There is also a thermal blanket surrounding the battery. I didn't find any replacement batteries other than BMW. I did determine that an Autozone battery GTX20CH-BSFP may fit at $150.

http://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automotive/motorcycle-and-power-sport-battery/motocross-12-volt-consumer-activated-agm-battery/358016_0_0?&searchText=GTX20CHBSFP

$90 is a bargain! The BMW battery is $170. This battery also has 18AH 270cca, the stocker is 16AH 200cca.

I also noted that is was rated better then OEM. I also thought you would like that price too. Let us know how it goes.

A bit cheaper here and they give you a year instead of 3 month warranty.

From looking at the picture the terminals are not correct the OEM has the positive on the right of the front of the battery.

Jay

On the Honda ST1300 I use to own I used a Shorai battery after having cold weather issues with several Yuasas. Not that I have had any of those issues with the RT but when the OEM battery does die I am planning on replacing with a Shorai.

http://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=305201&model=305231&year=305231

They do cost more but it worked great in the Honda.

Alan

Has anyone measured the stock battery from a R1200RT LC? any recommendations for a replacement? Looks like Yuasa and a few others have replacements. I have suspected a battery issue since last spring when I needed a jump start at a motel in CO. I have had several times when it barely started. Yesterday I got half a turn and then nothing. I have had a BMW maintainer on the battery for 3 weeks. The voltage reads 12.3V on the dash. I jump started and the voltage read 14.3V I think its time........

I don't know about your neck of the wood, but if your bike is still under warranty here BMW will replace your battery on a no-questions asked basis for free.

Yes, BMW has long had problems with batteries of highly inconsistent quality and it blows, but at least they recognized the issue. Even if the new battery will last only a couple of years, you are saving some decent money, and that's not too shabby in my book.

IN northern climates it is not the best battery for us. It does work but you need to turn stuff on like external lights and such to warm the battery up before you even try a start with it. It does not like cold weather here in PA. Like I said it works but you are better off with AGM technology in a very cold climate.

YMMV

Not really a issue or limitation as such.

When the temps get into the teens and twenty's consistent, when you try to start them cold they are in fact cold, so you need to turn a draw on them to wake/heat them up, and then they will not start the bike as reliably or consistent as a AGM.

I am speaking from experience of 7 years ago. Also I am in PA and we are/can get cold for long periods of time. Like I say if you "warm" them up, it works. Cost and being a bit fussy in the extreme cold and even the weight savings (we/I would be better off just loosing the weight) do not sway me to try them again.

I ordered the BatteryMart battery. I'll report back here with any installation issues. Probably won't get it for a week or so due to Christmas holiday.

I ordered the BatteryMart battery. I'll report back here with any installation issues. Probably won't get it for a week or so due to Christmas holiday.

The cables aren't going to reach since the posts are opposite without a modification. I brought up the lack of after market batteries 2 years ago, sad it hasn't changed. Please keep us posted.

Jay

Battery arrived today. It is nearly identical to the OEM. Battery terminals are the same and in the same place. Dimensions are the same. I think that this is a very good replacement for the original. AGM technology and 2 more AH than the stocker. $89.95 delivered to my door! Merry Christmas! MODERATOR: This might be a good sticky for Wetheads!

DSCF2543.jpg

Glad that is settled

I was sure it was right even if the picture in the link was wrong.

This is great stuff for us and I thank you for proofing it out.

Could you post SKU or any numbers on that invoice or battery so we can reliable replicate that order when needed?

TIA

Edited by LAF

nice find, excellent price at battery mart....mine is approaching 3 years. who knows how much longer it has... Keep us posted on fit and results.

www.batterymart.com/p-YTX20CH-BS-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery.html

zoom in

USA-Made Motocross YTX20CH-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery

Item #: YTX20CH-BS

Honestly once again I have simply gone to my local BMW Dealer (Motorcycles of Charlotte) and bought from them. They always give me a discounted price and every battery they have sold me lasted 5 or more years. And I believe the battery they are selling now has a 2 or 3 year replacement warranty.

Honestly once again I have simply gone to my local BMW Dealer (Motorcycles of Charlotte) and bought from them. They always give me a discounted price and every battery they have sold me lasted 5 or more years. And I believe the battery they are selling now has a 2 or 3 year replacement warranty.

I have no dealer within 50 miles. My go to dealer is 140 miles away in Grand Rapids, MI. I am always in the market for a bargain. This battery was delivered to my door with no delivery charges and has a higher capacity and more cold cranking amps than the oem. There are a lot of reasons for me to buy this battery as opposed to oem. Value for my dollar is #1.

With that said I understand the need to support dealerships. This option was posted for those who find it more convenient or economical.

I have no dealer within 50 miles. My go to dealer is 140 miles away in Grand Rapids, MI. I am always in the market for a bargain. This battery was delivered to my door with no delivery charges and has a higher capacity and more cold cranking amps than the oem. There are a lot of reasons for me to buy this battery as opposed to oem. Value for my dollar is #1.

With that said I understand the need to support dealerships. This option was posted for those who find it more convenient or economical.

Totally understand in YOUR situation the local dealer may not be an option and if me in your situation I would probably do the same. Glad you get the need to support the local dealers too whenever possible. And as noted in my original post my dealer always gives me a very fair deal on things like tires and batteries. But as always YMMV.

Yeah I know I posted the link originally for you. Just wanted a number or sku but I can just e-mail them.

I don't have an sku, but the battery is YTX20CH-BS Just put that into the search area on the web page and the battery will show up. BTW BatteryMart sent me a coupon for 8% off. Use Welcome8 when checking out.

Thanks Rob. Wish I needed one as I would use your code for sure! I have a 15 so will go another year at least. I tend to go 3-5 years depending on how the battery acts over that time.

I am very happy you proofed out this battery for fit. I thank you for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, thanks for the picture and the link! Been a little concerned for the battery for a while now, I ride the bike (2014 RTW) quite frequently so it doesn't sit for long, but the batt voltage before start has always looks a bit low to me, 3 years is not bad for a battery so it's due...

• 7 months later...

I have written up some information posted here and other information I've put together in my quest to find an adequate replacement battery for my 2015 R1200RT wethead.

I'm posting this here hoping it is of use to others.

I've just ordered the Yuasa YTX20CH-BS from a vendor in Mexico.

Will post details when I install it and later to report how it's working.

BMW R1200RT 2015 Battery

From BMWSportTouring Forum - Aproximate measurement:

Size: 5-7/8" long X 3-3/8" wide X 6-1/4" high

Size: 5.875" L X 3.375" W X 6.25" H - Decimal conversion.

Size: 14.922CM L X 8.57CM W X 15.875CM H - Metric conversion.

When viewed from the front, with posts on the front side of the battery:

Positive + post on the left side of the battery.

Negative - post on the right side of the battery.

Positive post is on the left hand side of the motorcycle, located somewhere beneath the seat.

Negative, ground, black cable post is on the right hand side of the motorcycle, visible when cover is removed.

The battery is behind a black plastic cover on the right hand side of the motorcycle.

Cover can be removed with with two small bolts, top and bottom. Centre fixture is rubber.

No other tupperware need be removed.

Battery is removed to the right of the motorcycle.

AGM: Means Absorbed Glass Matt. Sealed battery. (Not gel. Does use acid and lead, but the acid is trapped in glass mat in between lead plates.)

AGM remplacements for original gel battery:

Yuasa YTX20CH-BS

(YUAM6220C seems to be an alternative code for the same battery.)

This battery is reported on forum as installed and working.

AGM type.

Size: 6" L x 3.4375" W x 6.375" H (indicated on Yuasa site)

Size: 15.24CM L X 8.73125CM W X 16.1925CM H - Metric

Item #: YTX20CH-BS on www.batterymart.com for US$90

Duralast GTX20CH-BSFP

This seems to be the same Yuasa battery indicated above with a different brand.

AGM type.

Size: 15CM L X 8.7CM W X 16.2CM H

Lithium batteries:

These don't have acid at all and seem to have several advantages, but are apparently problematic for very cold climates and are far more expensive, plus they have have not been in use long term.

Lithium replacement battery:

Shorai LFX21A6-BS12 "A" polarity

Case type 6

Weight: 1.35KG

Cold Cranking Ams: 315

Polarity: Negative post on right.

Size: 14.8CM L X 8.2CM W X 14CM H

(A little smaller than OEM battery in all directions.)

(US$224 on eBay.)

Odyssey PC680

Does not fit the R1200RT 2015

There does not seem to be an Odyssey battery that will fit.

I received the Yuasa YTX20CH-BS battery today.

Only now and for the first time did I remvove the original battery, before preparing it for installation, just to make sure it is the right size.

This is one of the easiest batteries to remove. Definitely way simpler than previous BMW models I've had. Simpler to remove than the battery on an ST1300 also.

On the right hand side of the motorcycle:

- Remove the sort of triangular black cover at centre by removing top and bottom torks bolts. Centre fastener is just a rubber dimple that must be pulled out.

- Unfasten rubber strips from bottom in front of battery.

- Ease out plastic cover and retainer in front of battery.

- Unscrew the negative terminal bolt and cable.

- Prop battery up a bit with a flat screw driver or such.

- Jiggle a bit and pull out towards you.

- Unscrew the possitive terminal bolt.

That's all.

It has a foam cover that is evidently to keep it tight and avoid vibration that will work fine with the new battery.

Compared both batteries on a table: They are identical in size as far as I can see. Same height, width, length and terminal posts.

Having confirmed that, I followed the simple but worrysome procedure to put the acid into the new AGM battery:

- Must use eye protection and rubber gloves.

- Remove strip from battery.

- Remove cover from acid container.

- Invert and push into place container over battery pivots.

Battery fills in a little while. You just leave it there. Then discard the container and cover the battery holes with the same strip. Left it to settle for two hours.

Will now charge the battery all night with the automatic BMW charger.

Will report on installation and how the new batter behaves later.

After charging all night and a 100% charge indication in the BMW chargher I installed the battery in the R1200RT 2015, reversing the removal procedure indicated in a previous post:

- Slid the battery into the foam rubber vibration housing.

- Connected positive pole and tightened the bolt.

- Slid battery into it's position half way.

- Connected the negative pole and tightened the bolt.

- Slid the battery entirely inside.

- Replaced the plastic cover and holder that latches into three small holes: Left, righ and under at centre.

- Replaced rubber strips by hooking then onthe the two hooks at bottom.

- Replaced tupperware cover with two torks bolts.

After turning ignition on I pulled the throttle full on and then full off before starting the engine, as sugested in another forum. Seems to be needed to reset the throttle.

Started the motorcycle and finally it not only started easily, but the instrument pannel did not turn off. After setting the clock and other settings, I re-started the motorcycle and this time nothing was lost in the instrument pannel and configuration.

The battery is working well.

Will report after a few months or sooner if there is any trouble with this replacement Yuasa battery.

Happy motorcycling.

• 2 months later...

My battery started acting up a few weeks ago; went dead last Friday. 14RTW

I purchased from BatteryMart on Saturday thanks to suggestions here. Battery arrived this morning (3 days free shipping). Great service/communication.

Battery is exact oem size, fully charged and ready to go.

www.batterymart.com/p-YTX20CH-BS-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery.html

Thanks for the help and info RobL! Used the code and received the 8% discount also.

Good stuff.

Appreciate it.

Edited by paRTy
RecentConvert

My 14RTW battery gave up during vacation earlier this month while 1200 miles from home. Fortunately I was only 3 miles from BMW dealer. One call and they dispatched a van to collect the bike and me for a ride to the shop. The battery had been fine the previous day, but 8.2 volts and wouldn't accept a charge the next morning. I lost only half a day and $200 for a battery.

Always bought Universal Battery UB12220 for my '99RT. $50 shipped to my door from Staab Battery, but UPG doesn't have the right case size in their lineup. Too bad as these batteries are inexpensive and reliable. Different market channel battery back up systems save some $$ over anything labeled automotive.

Using the YTXCH-BS model as a cross reference I got nothing at the Staab site. Searching around at lunch I found this same numbered battery for $69 before shipping, about $85 to Merrillvllie IN. The dimensions are a little larger by a few 16th of an inch in all directions but could work if you check for if there is the extra room in the battery bay.

Find a online vendor closer to you and shave a few more $$ off

http://www.batteryweb.com/motorcycle-mfg-batteries-detail.cfm?model=YTX20CH%2DBS

Applications: Power Sports

Voltage: 12 V

AH: 18 AH

Type: AGM, High Performance, Maintenance Free

PHCA:

CA:

CCA:

RC:

Polarity: LH+

Features: Non-spillable AGM High Performance

Weight: 10.3

Length: 6

Width: 3.44

Height: 6.38

Nice find! I hope that I will not be needing another battery for a couple of years :) The one that I purchased when I started this thread is still performing well.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Rob for you information on this battery. Just ordered one. Discount code has expired, but at $90 this is still a good price considering free shipping.

On the way to the 2018 Death Valley Days I stayed in Santa Rosa, NM the first night. Got into the high 20's. Went out to start the bike and nothing. Not even dash display! Was about to try to bump start it, but I could not hear the fuel pump so saved the effort on that. Good news is that the tools under the seat are enough to remove the battery! Had a guy take me to the parts store, which was not yet open. Sent him back with a thank you. NAPA opened early and we found a battery that was the same width and depth but a lot less tall. But terminals were correct! I walked about two miles back to the motel. Fired right up! Made the rest of the trip on it.

I done a major service right before the trip. Kept thinking maybe I should put a battery in it. It has always started, even after sitting several weeks. So why do I need a battery? I have had batteries just die while showing no symptoms. I now realize that it was not cranking quite as fast as it should have. Bike is a 2014 so the battery is probably 4 1/2 or 5 years old.

I have ordered the YUASA YTX20CH-BS as mine is getting a bit lazy and as my 4WD is in the workshop, I have to use the bike to get to work.

As usual everything is rather pricey over here. Best I can get it is AU $230,- .

Mine would have lasted longer, but as the bike was just sitting there for months without being charged, this is more my fault.....still 4 years isn't too bad.

I have one of the early14s and I am on the third battery. I also have a 14 XR and I am on the third battery. Part of the problem was a mis match between the optimate charger and the charging harness. Earlier harness and newer charger. I wondered why It would never get to two green lights. Now everything is ok and I will see if that helps the battery. However these bikes don't sit more than a few weeks at the most. I try and rotate as much as possible. They both have heated gear hookups, Darlas and Ericas. There is a lot of load on the battery.

Edited by bdfbeemer

My '15 R sits on the battery charger for months at a time. I only ride it maybe three or four times a year. But when I do ride it it is usually for 5 or 10 thousand kilometers. So it has about 30,000 km on the clock.

Great info for future refernce.

My '15RT's battery is 3 years old and still going strong. Knock on wood.

Also I guess the more temperate climate I live in and the fact during the winter the bike is in a partially heated space that never gets much less than 38F making for an easy environment on any battery. And during Farkle Season it is on an Optimate CAN Bus compatible charger maintainer.

My RT sits in a heated and air conditioned shop. Now, after hearing it crank over with the two batteries that just replaced the failed original, I can tell you my original has been "weak" for over a year. Big difference in how fast they crank over.

One thing I noticed that might be relevant. I often check the system voltage when traveling. Used to be it was 14.1. Last trip, and for a couple shorter rides before this one, it was showing 14.0. Might be an indicator, or not.