IGNORED

TB Sync in the garage

Dann

I need to a TB Sync.

My bike is in a garage for the winter.

This garage is equipped with an exhaust ventilation system for cars that includes a fan to send the fumes out.

The exhaust hose is not long enough to reach where my bike is parked and the connector is made for a car exhaust and will not work for the bike.

I need to to run a hose from my bike and connect it to the existing system.

The hose itself is not an issue. My problem is how to connect it to the bike's exhaust.

All the adapters I've seen on the market are made for cars or trucks and are no big enough for the big can of the RT.

I stopped by a bike shop (Former BMW dealership)yesterday to see what they use.

They have custom made adapters.

It looks like I'm going to have to fabricate my own.

Anyone has any experience with this? Advice?

I was thinking of starting with a 10" PVC or metal pipe and use adapters to reduce it to the size of the hose.

(Waiting for Spring and opening the garage door is not an option. The draft will send the fumes inside the building)

I think that adapter is used to inject smoke into the tailpipe to test for exhaust leaks, without the engine running. I think it would seriously restrict exhaust gas flowing outward and could throw off the throttle balance tests.

Repeating an idea over on bmwlt.com:You might be able to fabricate an adapter, or at least a gasket, with some of the silicone material used for cooking. It withstands temps up to 500º F, and is soft enough not to scratch a clean muffler. Make a tube wrapping the end of the muffler and the end of the exhaust hose and secure with a couple large hose clamps, or even coat hanger wire?

Something like this baking mat , maybe?

9a2680b2-4e18-40b7-8730-5b232651658b_1.2a3a5a947fd671ce6d578a8216df3c57.jpeg

Interesting but I don't think it will work.

(I'm referring to the cone)

It looks like the fumes will come out through the small yellow tube and will restrict the the "air flow" (For lack of a better term)

I was told by the shop that the exhaust should not be completely sealed and that air had to enter the exhaust hose along with the fumes for proper venting to the outside.

The one they use goes over the can but is bigger to allow air to be drawn into the system along with the fumes.

Edited by Dann

I need to a TB Sync.

My bike is in a garage for the winter.

This garage is equipped with an exhaust ventilation system for cars that includes a fan to send the fumes out.

The exhaust hose is not long enough to reach where my bike is parked and the connector is made for a car exhaust and will not work for the bike.

I need to to run a hose from my bike and connect it to the existing system.

The hose itself is not an issue. My problem is how to connect it to the bike's exhaust.

All the adapters I've seen on the market are made for cars or trucks and are no big enough for the big can of the RT.

I stopped by a bike shop (Former BMW dealership)yesterday to see what they use.

They have custom made adapters.

It looks like I'm going to have to fabricate my own.

Anyone has any experience with this? Advice?

I was thinking of starting with a 10" PVC or metal pipe and use adapters to reduce it to the size of the hose.

(Waiting for Spring and opening the garage door is not an option. The draft will send the fumes inside the building)

Afternoon Daniel

My local auto parts store has a number of garage exhaust vent adapters. In my shop I use a cone shaped one that I bought from an auto parts store about 30 years ago.

My local O'reilly's has a large number of 3" hose & 4" hose oval, cone shaped, & round adapters that would easily fit over a BMW muffler (not real cheap as they run from about $39.00 to over $100.00.

If you just want to run the engine & evacuate the exhaust then you can use a tight fitting exhaust adapter but to do a quality TB balance you really should not have a tight fitting or long exhaust evacuation system as adding any exhaust flow resistance can effect the intake side also.

Same with a positive exhaust evacuation system as a negative pressure on the tail pipe can also effect the intake side (maybe little & maybe more but you won't know how much)

In you have a positive vacuum flow system then just leave a little air gap between the exhaust hose & the muffler.

My friends motorcycle shop with a rolling drum dyno has (2) 4" positive vacuum vent hoses that he places about 3" behind the tail pipes of bikes so the vent system doesn't effect the dyno results. He works for hours in the little dyno room (with engine running & turned off) & he doesn't seem to get Co poisoning.

I think that adapter is used to inject smoke into the tailpipe to test for exhaust leaks, without the engine running. I think it would seriously restrict exhaust gas flowing outward and could throw off the throttle balance tests.

Repeating an idea over on bmwlt.com:You might be able to fabricate an adapter, or at least a gasket, with some of the silicone material used for cooking. It withstands temps up to 500º F, and is soft enough not to scratch a clean muffler. Make a tube wrapping the end of the muffler and the end of the exhaust hose and secure with a couple large hose clamps, or even coat hanger wire?

Something like this baking mat , maybe?

9a2680b2-4e18-40b7-8730-5b232651658b_1.2a3a5a947fd671ce6d578a8216df3c57.jpeg

This could work if it's big enough to be rolled in a tube bigger than the exhaust. I would not be worried about the heat from the exhaust or scratching it.

Thanks

Thanks for the info

I bought a silicone oven mat and made an adapter with it.

I sealed it with aluminum duct tape.

It looks like it would do the job.

When you mention a positive vacuum flow, do you mean a system with a fan that flows the air from the inside to the outside?

That's what this garage is equipped with

P_20161224_175920_zps8prgupnk.jpg

P_20161224_180056_SRES_zpsdgozo7xc.jpg

Another question

Can someone tell me the height of the exhaust (Center)?

I have an 07 RT (Should be the same from 05 to 13)

I won't have access to my bike before Jan 09 and I'm trying to figure out if I can use my jack stand to support my adapter or if I need to do some modifications to adjust it if it can't be raised high enough.

Thanks

It looks like I'm short by 3"1/2

My jack stand won't be high enough.

It only raises it to 17" 1/2

some 2x4s underneath should bring it up to the right height.

P_20161225_145303_zpsrd6uigsd.jpg

Have you done a TB sync before?

How do you know you need to have it done?

What are the symptoms? What are you using for?

Reasons am asking are am about to do the same,

just that will need to check the valves first.

And now is to cold to do that, as my garage is

not heated... :cry:

Have you done a TB sync before?

How do you know you need to have it done?

What are the symptoms? What are you using for?

Reasons am asking are am about to do the same,

just that will need to check the valves first.

And now is to cold to do that, as my garage is

not heated... :cry:

[/quote

I need to do one because I readjusted the valves.

My last one was a couple of years ago since my valves didn't need any adjustments. ( I check them once a year when I do my winter maintenance)

The bike was running fine. There was no symptoms that it needed a TB sync. One valve was a little off so I readjusted them all.

That's why I'm doing a TB sync

I'm using a Twinmax to do it.

Edited by Dann

Thanks, Dan!

Reason i asked is i think i need a TB Sync.

Under aggressive acceleration, the motor just stops, as

lack of fuel. I just got the Twinmax, and there is mentioned

to have the valves properly adjusted. So that will be when warmer

weather comes this way.

Thanks, Dan!

weather comes this way.

Afternoon temesvar

That isn't a TB balance issue as the TB balance becomes less & less of an influence as the throttle is opened further (TB balance effects just above idle the most)

Your problem sounds more like a fuel flow issue (possibly FPC), the FPC (Fuel Pump Controller) runs the fuel pump at different speeds (RPMs) depending on the throttle position & amount of fuel required. If you still have the original silver FPC then those were failure prone (the later high-fin black FPCs were pretty hearty & seldom fail)

Or you have some other issue like a plugged pump strainer, or stick coils that can't handle the extra combustion loads, or ?????

Afternoon temesvar

That isn't a TB balance issue as the TB balance becomes less & less of an influence as the throttle is opened further (TB balance effects just above idle the most)

Your problem sounds more like a fuel flow issue (possibly FPC), the FPC (Fuel Pump Controller) runs the fuel pump at different speeds (RPMs) depending on the throttle position & amount of fuel required. If you still have the original silver FPC then those were failure prone (the later high-fin black FPCs were pretty hearty & seldom fail)

Or you have some other issue like a plugged pump strainer, or stick coils that can't handle the extra combustion loads, or ?????

I already had problems with the OEM FPC being flooded, so i have changed that. Also, thanks to you, D.R.

i looked into it and had the fix. Was just about ready to take it to a dealer to have it fixed.(You know there

are a few dealers that hate you, D.R.?) I can check if that is the problem bypassing the FPC. I made a connector

and have it with me at all times, just in case.

Sorry Dann, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Thanks, Dan!

weather comes this way.

Maybe You're triggering the rev limiter?

I don't know how that works.

Remember in the '80 GSXR had one

that would shut off the engine past

redline. I never rev it that high.

The engine will cut off when you hit the red line

Feels the same as if the gas was cutting off.

I thought that's what you meant by "Hard acceleration"

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update:

I finally got to do my TB sync today. Everything went smoothly.

No Darwin award for me...>:)

( I had a CO detector on the seat as a precaution)

P_20170113_115227_zpsl8kocg4v.jpg

P_20170113_115243_zpsbnsanjlu.jpg

P_20170113_115301_zpscd3hlgcm.jpg

Even though my contraption worked, I will need to find another hose to connect to the existing system.

Mine could not stand the heat and started melting towards the end.

P_20170113_125743_zpsypty7zo3.jpg

Edited by Dann