BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#974201 - 11/02/16 03:57 PM Re: Dragon rider found 30 hours after crashing [Re: Mike]
Green RT Offline

Loc: Guadalajara, México
Originally Posted By: Mike

I'm not sure what the numbers are, but the Cherohala is over four times as long, so that may account for part of ti.

But, as noted above, the consistent theme is riders getting in over their head . . . sometimes simply trying to make a point. None of us is immune to it, and these tales serve as a valuable reminder that we participate in an activity that encompasses perils.

Not disagreeing, just adding… In this case, a rider getting in over his head may have been the precipitating event, but the problem was greatly exacerbated by a rider following too closely, turning what might have been a one bike accident or even none, into a two bike accident and a death.

2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue (current)
1999 R1100RT Tundra Green
1987 R100RT Grey
1970 R60/5 Black w/white pin stripes
196? Honda 305 Super Hawk
195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

#974276 - 11/03/16 05:16 PM Re: Dragon rider found 30 hours after crashing [Re: lawnchairboy]
Endobobdds Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: lawnchairboy
there is one particularly deceiving decreasing radius turn on the skyway that has taken more than one out. On the BRP, as I understand it, there are no decreasing radius turns, although there are many turns which require lower speeds, with multiple entry/exit points for traffic, often on the curves.

Some of the roads in NC & TN not only have decreasing radius turns but reversed banking while in the turn (a reverse bank angle, aka the tilt is angled away from the center of curvature). I believe the Dragon has one or two of these in it's 311 curves.

Roan Mt, TN has a reverse bank curve that had me going over the center line and into a ditch on the other side of the highway one early Sunday morning. No real damage to me or the bike but I had to flag down a car to help me get the bike out of the ditch. frown

Edited by Endobobdds (11/03/16 05:17 PM)

#974344 - 11/05/16 12:18 AM Re: Dragon rider found 30 hours after crashing [Re: tallman]
roadscholar Offline

Loc: N. Fla.
Originally Posted By: tallman
Whether to ride the Cherohala or not can depend on the weather.
Fog can be a real constant.
Sometimes it is a no go, others just a wait a while.
Last time we rode we were stupid and pushed up in the fog, "just a bit to see" and quickly couldn't see the bike ahead or the road markings.

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650

#974425 - 11/06/16 12:16 PM Re: Dragon rider found 30 hours after crashing [Re: lawnchairboy]
TyTass Online

Loc: VA BEACH VA
Originally Posted By: lawnchairboy
there is one particularly deceiving decreasing radius turn on the skyway that has taken more than one out. On the BRP, as I understand it, there are no decreasing radius turns, although there are many turns which require lower speeds, with multiple entry/exit points for traffic, often on the curves.

There are a few on the BRP, but they are rather gentle in comparison to that one you're talking about on the Cherohala. Actually, I can think of a total of two decreasing radius curves on the Skyway, one each direction. The one heading west is the worst.

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca

#974427 - 11/06/16 12:21 PM Re: Dragon rider found 30 hours after crashing [Re: Endobobdds]
TyTass Online

Reverse camber curves pop up here and there in NC. However, those are fairly light in distribution (IMO) compared to VA & WV.

NC seems to do a much better job over all of grading prior to paving. However, that fact does seem to dull the anticipation for these curves, doesn't it.

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca

#974433 - 11/06/16 01:54 PM Re: Dragon rider found 30 hours after crashing [Re: Bill_Walker]
TyTass Online

Originally Posted By: Bill_Walker
Originally Posted By: Endobobdds
Hope all of our west coast members and other's attending our 2017 UnRally read this post. The Dragon, Cherohala and many other roads within a few hours ride from Fontana Dam are challenging!

I think the biggest challenge of eastern US riding compared to western US riding is the poor visibility due to foliage. The Cherohala is not too bad in that regard (I've ridden it a couple of times), but lots of roads in the Appalachians are densely forested. We've got tight twisties and fast sweepers aplenty out west, but while there are many blind turns, you can also often see a few turns ahead. That's rare in the east, in my admittedly limited experience.

No Bill, I believe you hit the nail on the head ... one really good time at least. However, to drive that nail home for lessons about riding in the east, a couple other points are needed.

The Appalachians are indeed almost completely forested, so open areas are actually the very, very rare exception. But blind curves aren't predominately the result of foliage. Being the 2nd oldest mountain chain on the planet, they are much smaller and less steep than mtns out west, and thus simply lend themselves to building roads up and over them easily. But they roll, undulate, and have very small pockets (coves) and roads running alongside them disappear regularly.

Their history is what caused so many roads to be built and built so tightly. Being perpendicular to early trade/expansion routes across the US, the were settled a very long time ago. However,those settlements became pockets of almost completely isolated mountain communities as the trade routes and methods evolved. Thus, small inter-community and even inter-homestead roads (i.e., goat paths) became the norm. Many/most never went away over the years. Eventually most were modernized in pavement but they were never redesigned for speed or higher traffic volume ... just no need for it.

Therefore, a large portion of the many, many roads in the Appalachians are little more than a series of blind curves. So many of them are thrilling, but dangerous, yet not impossible to enjoy if one tunes one's abilities to that kind of riding. Sharpening one's visual habits and focus, increasing one's understanding of the road/geography, and practicing quick reactions must take priority over quest for speed expressed in mph.

So, the secondary point is ... being in proximity to many population centers makes for some crowded riding on the well-known roads like the Dragon, BRP, and even the Cherohala. (That said, if you show up on a Mon/Tues/Wed morning, you may find yourself riding the Dragon nearly alone!) Thankfully, there are far more of these kinds of paved roads than most people have a clue about. Dense is the correct word to describe the distribution. The lesson is to find other roads to ride on the weekends.

#975746 - 11/30/16 01:00 PM Re: Dragon rider found 30 hours after crashing [Re: TyTass]
Twisties Offline
Boots

Loc: Brookings, OR
The density, I call it congestion, is what strikes me as the major difference between eastern and western riding.

I tend to get quite frustrated out east.

Sand Beige 2007 R1200RT "Flyer"
Raven 2012 Super Tenere
Solid Iron Gray 2012 DR650SE

Blind Man Images on Facebook

#977313 - 01/01/17 02:19 PM Re: Dragon rider found 30 hours after crashing [Re: workin' them angels]
Rider1150GSA Offline

Loc: FT. Lauderdale
Sad story. IMHO plenty of riders overestimate their abilities while underestimating the conditions at hand... The Cherohala and Dragon are cool roads to ride but one must take into consideration the weather and road conditions. Personally I prefer the wide open roads out West...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3