IGNORED

Getting a sidecar itch

Bud

I picked one up a few months ago but haven't attached to anything yet, can't decide which bike to use. I've ridden a couple and am looking forward to it, a whole new experience.

I had a 2006 Ural Gear-Up that was fun to ride. I ended up selling it because it took up a lot of garage space, and it wasn't what I wanted at this point in my life. By that, I mean that the Ural is ultimately designed to cruise at 45 - 50 mph on back roads, not for rush hour commuting on the freeway. And that's where the majority of my riding is done right now. The Ural absolutely rocked on gravel and dirt roads.

Those shortcomings are specific to the Ural, though, and a rig made with a motorcycle with more horsepower would be much more able to cruise on the highway. However, be aware that driving a sidecar rig is nothing like riding a motorcycle. You know where the controls are, but beyond that the handling characteristics are completely different, and asymmetrical as well. So, if you decide to get a rig be sure to read up on driving one and, if it's offered locally, take a class.

My advice would be to find someone with a rig who will let you take it for a spin around a parking lot. I did that by going to a regional meet-up for sidecar enthusiasts. It was so different from riding a motorcycle that I had to think about buying one for quite a while. In the end, I'm glad I did. One advantage to sidecars is that everyone things they're cute. People who will flip you the bird on your bike will wave and smile when you drive a sidecar. The Ural was especially good for this. The cammo paint and military bearing got me tons of waves, and people jumping out of cars to take pictures.

There may be another rig in my future, but it will be something with some grunt like a Bandit 1250 or a Triumph 1200 rather than another Ural.

I'll be curious to see how this goes, so let us know.

It's a terrible idea - don't do it. They're no fun to pilot, they take up too much space, they're hard to park (and nearly impossible to back up well if you put a trailer on it), everyone from rich old ladies to hard-@ss cholos will slow you down by wanting to wave, talk, take your picture, the car makes it a hassle to do even simple maintenance tasks like check your oil, there are too many tires to worry about, you'll be forever futzing over getting the setup just right ("seems good now, but maybe it would be better if I just..."), you'll lose a bunch of money when you sell it (which you will right away because you'll hate it), all the people who ride them are weirdos so you'll have to hang out with a bunch of weirdos, dogs will jump into and get drool and dog hair all over it, and it's basically a terrible idea.

At least, that's what I've heard ;)

• Haha 1

Well, I've found a rig in Alabama. An Airhead no less that seems to be well sorted out and has tons of new stuff on it. And the price is very attractive.

148354383142.jpg

Here is snip of an email from the seller.

It is a 75 R90 running gear in a 1977 R100S frame with forks. Dual disc front end has been rebuilt, I had the bike painted by a professional bike painter (Fast Finish, Springville, Al), R90 had about 40k miles on it. I had to replace the rear drive and wheel due to owner of bike never greasing splines on the wheel. I'm a bike mechanic so we pulled the heads , found no wear in cylinder or guides, ground the valves to clean the carbon off and replaced push rod seals. I replaced cables, air filter, greased it, repacked Luftmeister mufflers with stainless packing material, they sound really good, replaced header pipes, new Mikuni carbs , mounted a Friendship 1 sidecar on it with new tire. I need to finish wiring the tail lights /stop light on the car to the bike and reinstall the aux fuel tank behind the sidecar seat. I wasn't sure if buyer would want the extra fuel tank or the space. I put the bike together for a retired friend of mine that loved riding it but his health got so badly that he had to stop riding after he only made a few rides on it. Tires are almost new, has removable bags, bike alone is probably worth what I'm asking. I do need to mount a dampening shock on the front forks to eliminate the wagging as you start off.

It runs really strong, I wouldn't be afraid to run it 80 mph but 70 on the freeway is a good all round speed for fuel economy and avoiding tickets of course. The wider 13" tire on the car helps a lot to stabilize it.

We will see how this new chapter in my motorcycle ownership turns out. At the purchase price, I'm pretty sure I could re-sell it if it turns out to be more of a challenge that I'm capable of meeting. An Airhead friend of mine was also interested in it.

Still plan on hanging out here and showing up at BMWST events. Just will take longer to get there.

Too cold to go right now. Hopefully after the two DR appointments this week, today and Friday, I will have a treatment plan in place and can work around that to make a quick trip south with the Kendon trailer and bring it home.

Keeping F 700 GS for right now till I see how it all sorts out.

If I have to allocate 30 minutes for a fuel stop due to all of the questions and compliments, I guess that is a burden I will have to bear. :grin: Don't planning on having a dog in the car so that should help reduce the time. :whistle:

And not having a cute wife and child and two dogs in a trailer will also make for faster getaways! :wave::wave::wave:

Looking forward to a great 2017 and plan on seeing more of my bike friends on the road.

Ride Well.

It's a terrible idea - don't do it. They're no fun to pilot, they take up too much space, they're hard to park (and nearly impossible to back up well if you put a trailer on it), everyone from rich old ladies to hard-@ss cholos will slow you down by wanting to wave, talk, take your picture, the car makes it a hassle to do even simple maintenance tasks like check your oil, there are too many tires to worry about, you'll be forever futzing over getting the setup just right ("seems good now, but maybe it would be better if I just..."), you'll lose a bunch of money when you sell it (which you will right away because you'll hate it), all the people who ride them are weirdos so you'll have to hang out with a bunch of weirdos, dogs will jump into and get drool and dog hair all over it, and it's basically a terrible idea.

At least, that's what I've heard ;)

Please don't throw me in the brier patch! :wave::grin:

maxresdefault.jpg

Are you looking for a piper cub or an F-22? :grin: I have something with three wheels but it's in a Y configuration. Different, fun and I completely understand. :thumbsup:

Pat

Piper Cub.

In my experience you don't have to start with a dog - they simply somehow find their way into the car. Seriously.

So...are you saying you bought it and just need to pick it up, or is this another looker?

Haven't bought it yet. But seriously interested and if the weather was better I would be on the road Saturday to check it out.

Bud,

Not to throw a wet blanket, but, ride one.

We set up and serviced many, including several w/the K as the powerplant (both K RS and K LT). Even set one up with AC.

More oomph going down the road helps, IMO.

Urals are as described.

Boxers w/sidecars can be great, if

and that's the $64k ?

IF it is for you. I have a ton of friends w/hacks who have gone everywhere and love them.

I though it would be my choice at some time.

Then I rode one.

So, my advice, ride one, (that is properly set up). It is different.

May be the best thing you've every done.

Or...

Try it w/and w/out a passenger.

Make sure you find a parking lot where you can do turns and see the dif between R and L w/throttle changes.

Can be fun.

Try it w/and w/out a passenger.

Make sure you find a parking lot where you can do turns and see the dif between R and L w/throttle changes.

Can be fun.

Is that another way of saying " OH S*#T " :grin:

Sounds like a good user name if I get one.

SidecarFlyer :clap:

Think the Mods here would let me change??????

I was trying to calculate the percentage of an RT... with a sidecar?

edit:

....^^^^and it looks like Tim just figured it. :S

Edited by greiffster

maxresdefault.jpg

I have to say, this looks intriguing with the lean and all. I'm guessing a similar lean to the other side with the buggy off the pavement would be a new sensation as well :S:jaw: I wonder how Fido would like the elevated position?!

Tim raises good points. Alternativly, would any of these options work?

Honda Neowing

Piaggio

Hope it all works out for you Bud! :thumbsup:

Pat

Thanks Pat.

Down to 2 choices. Radiation and hormone therapy or surgical removal.

Upsides and down sides to both but I need to choose using as much info and advice I can get.

Lots of helpful members here who have shared their experiences with me. :thumbsup:

The illness issue really does affect the equation. There's nothing like a serious illness to change one's perspectives and priorities. I hope things work out well.

As for sidecar motivations, you probably ought to ask yourself why you think you want one. They look sort of funky, attract (sometimes welcome) attention and might even be fun (especially at first).

The problems and inconveniences already mentioned, though, will soon start to erode the initial novelty of it all, and then you're left dealing with a rather inconvenient contraption hooked to the side of your bike.

If you really think you'd like one over the long haul, by all means pursue it. On the other hand, if it boils down to an impulse thing done because it might be sort of cool, you might seriously reconsider the whole thing -- unless, of course, you've got a spare bike or two, an extra-large garage, extra money to spend and a desire to constantly tinker instead of ride.

One of the guys in my club has an LT with a fully enclosed side car. He has had it for years. I think he got it custom ordered in Europe or Germany. Of course, he loves it. He takes the ladies for rides all the time.

If you want more info, I can get you in contact with him.

Good luck

The illness issue really does affect the equation. There's nothing like a serious illness to change one's perspectives and priorities. I hope things work out well.

As for sidecar motivations, you probably ought to ask yourself why you think you want one. They look sort of funky, attract (sometimes welcome) attention and might even be fun (especially at first).

The problems and inconveniences already mentioned, though, will soon start to erode the initial novelty of it all, and then you're left dealing with a rather inconvenient contraption hooked to the side of your bike.

If you really think you'd like one over the long haul, by all means pursue it. On the other hand, if it boils down to an impulse thing done because it might be sort of cool, you might seriously reconsider the whole thing -- unless, of course, you've got a spare bike or two, an extra-large garage, extra money to spend and a desire to constantly tinker instead of ride.

Thanks for the good wishes.

So from your observations I assume you are speaking from experience and I have to ask. Why did you buy one and when did you sell it? :grin:

I have room, a F 700 GS, enough money to buy one and so what if I decide to move on to something else? dunno.gif

You should head over to the Hack section of Adventure Rider and see what the many happy owners have to say about their's and where they have ridden.

On the BMW front, there is a hack owner that has ridden all over the US. He is from the NE and is on his second hack dog. HERE is a link to his web site.

2016MOA01FerryOut2.jpg

Edited by Bud

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you. I'm just saying that you might get more lasting enjoyment out of it if you identify good, solid reasons for wanting one, then weigh them carefully.

Ultimately after riding a friend's off and on over a summer, I opted out of getting one because, despite the positives, I just couldn't get them to outweigh the negatives, (but that was just me). If I had the commitment to traveling cross-country with my dog that the guy in the photo above has, you bet I'd get one. It looks like all kinds of fun, but factor in things like wife, job, garage space, expense, time, etc., and, well...

It's sort of the same reasoning I've used for not giving into my recurring temptations to buy a boat, a snowmobile, a 4-wheeler and a couple more motorcycles. As fun as they might be, I've decided that life just gets too easily cluttered up with stuff. Again, though, that's just me.

Different strokes ...............

I have a friend who would take years deciding what kind of car to buy because he didn't want to make a mistake. Made him happy.

I like variety in life. I have a history of trying out different bikes and boats.

Cars? Meh. Don't care.

Wife? 49 years and counting.

We have owned 18 different boats.

I've owned a plethora of BMW motorcycles. 1 LT, 5 oilhead RT's, F 800 GS, F 700 GS. R 1100 GS and R 1200 GS, R 1100 R plus several other non-BMW motorcycles.

My rule of thumb is to buy used, enjoy them till I don't and sell them. Counting all of the BMW's I've owned, I have less than $10,000 in actual costs when counting the gain or loss when I sold one. Lots of inexpensive enjoyment. And while I could go out and buy a brand new Beemer, that's not fair to my wife who doesn't ride or even care to go on trips with me.

I don't mind having 3 motorcycles in the garage at the same time or even owing two boats at a time. We are currently down to one boat, one motorcycle and one dog. Life is good.

Self knowledge is a good thing. You choose to simplify your life by not buying things.

I hope you have a great 2017!

Bud,

One of our customers rode her LT hack into her 90's.

Another had her K RS hack w/ac, cockpit, and took her sons all around the country.

One other K GT also went all over the country.

Know a dozen of so boxer riders w/hacks.

All love them.

Sold a few Urals, and one beautiful gold one 3 times. :grin:

They can be a lot of fun.

You seem motivated, prepared for both pro and con outcomes.

You have the space ( a real issue, they need a lot of room to turn around etc)

Ask over on Adv about set up. That is a key issue, and tire choices.

We dealt w/Hannigan for all the K bikes.

So, get feeling well and post some pics when you make your choice.

Edited by tallman
If I had the commitment to traveling cross-country with my dog that the guy in the photo above has, you bet I'd get one. It looks like all kinds of fun, but factor in things like wife, job, garage space, expense, time, etc., and, well...

I'm not discounting your advice, but I found it worked the other way around - I got the sidecar and THEN committed to traveling cross (or round or whatever...more dawdling than traveling on the good days) country, which helped get rid of the job and all that other stuff :)

It's sort of the same reasoning I've used for not giving into my recurring temptations to buy a boat, a snowmobile, a 4-wheeler and a couple more motorcycles. As fun as they might be, I've decided that life just gets too easily cluttered up with stuff. Again, though, that's just me.

Sometimes when I think back about all the time and money I wasted on boats, snowmachines (sorry - that's what they call them in AK and I just can't help it), motorcycles and other crap like that...I smile.

If I had the commitment to traveling cross-country with my dog that the guy in the photo above has, you bet I'd get one. It looks like all kinds of fun, but factor in things like wife, job, garage space, expense, time, etc., and, well...

I'm not discounting your advice, but I found it worked the other way around - I got the sidecar and THEN committed to traveling cross (or round or whatever...more dawdling than traveling on the good days) country, which helped get rid of the job and all that other stuff :)

Sometimes when I think back about all the time and money I wasted on boats, snowmachines (sorry - that's what they call them in AK and I just can't help it), motorcycles and other crap like that...I smile.

Road bike, track bike, dual sport bike, quad, boat, road bicycle, mountain bicycle, two seat convertible, 4x4 pickup...

I qualify for having "clutter", but each of those provides me with an opportunity to see things and experience things that would be impossible without them.

I think I have read in many places that a novice should never tryout/ learn to pilot a hack without a monkey, or some ballast.

After having six airheads, a 750 would not be my choice, or even a 900, possibly an R100 for a side car prime mover.

K bike. Top end right there to work on. ( unless in UK)

Lots of people debate that issue. The counter argument is that ballast just provides a false sense of security, or whatever, and it's more of a hindrance to really learning what your rig will do.

A lot depends on how heavy the rig is. Mine (K1200LT with, I think, Hannigan's largest car) takes some effort to fly the car, or a lot of speed in a turn. A Ural or airhead rig makes it pretty easy. Either way, you can start slow and learn what it can do just fine without ballast - you just need to be careful (as you should anyway I suppose).

I think it kind of will, actually.

Now, about attaching your harness ...

Where does your monkey attach theirs???????????? :wave:

Nothing like a GS to get your blood boiling.

148460260861.jpg

Oh, that probably doesn't weigh very much.....

They may be slow, but they sure are ugly.

Sorry Bud, I just couldn't stop myself.

Ya, it is a real POS. 25K, ohlins, electric tilt, built by Hannigan at their shop, brake on the hack, pretty much a mess all the way round.

Edited by Bud

Tell you what: buy it and have it shipped to Whip's place (the one in TX - too cold to go back to Colorado right now), and we'll shake it out for you a few thousand miles and drop it off at your place when the weather's better :)

Tell you what: buy it and have it shipped to Whip's place (the one in TX - too cold to go back to Colorado right now), and we'll shake it out for you a few thousand miles and drop it off at your place when the weather's better :)

That's why I love this place, people are willing to go out of their way to help out! :wave:

That's why I love this place, people are willing to go out of their way to help out! :wave:

I'll see ya, and raise...

Send it here, and it'll be ready when you come down to get the next boat.

:lurk:

I'll see ya, and raise...

Send it here, and it'll be ready when you come down to get the next boat.

:lurk:

Cold, very Cold Tallman.

OTOH I've never said I have had my last boat. Why? Because then I would of had Last Boat II, Last Boat III, Last Boat IV, etc............................................