IGNORED

Operating manual

Rick Ward

I don't want to wear out my welcome. Everyone has helped me with my new to me 2000 RT1100RT but I still need some help. My previous ride was a '73 R75/5 and it had no accessories. The RT has ABS, A radio with no sound and i can see electrical connections that are foreign to me. Is there a manual or other source that explains how the ABS is activated schematics for the wiring that will advise how and what accessories will mate to the end of the electrical terminals. I can't see how a USB would ever connect to anything but I am 70...maybe too old to ride something this advanced...but it certainly rides and handles well. Your assistance will as always be much appreciated.

Hi Rick, no you're not too old mate, i'm 71 and ride a '99 R1100RT. I don't have radio on mine. What's happening with your ABS then? You shouldn't have to do anything to "activate" it, is it to do with the flashing ABS lights? if so low battery voltage is often the problem there,

regards,

Dave Parry.

Afternoon Rick

Here's a link to how your BMW ABS-II operates____

http://www.largiader.com/abs/abs2.html

On your radio?-- It might be locked out-- we can help you but we will need ALL the info that you can furnish about what & when it quit working.

No USB connection to the old BMW 1100RT (it predates USB vehicle interface)

There is a rocker/toggle switch located on the dash. Do i just press the lrocker down to activate. Thus far with having only ridden it about 750 miles there has been no need of it. My truck and car each have ABS but there are no switches to activate. I assume they work all the time. There is an electical line under the seat that has a female recepticle that i am not familiar with and another that exits the shift lever side that accepts my battery tender. There is a port on the dash that also has a recepticle that i am not familiar with. I would bet that BMW punlished a document explaining these???

Then what do those recepticles supply power to? What kind of an appliance has a male end that fits?

Evening Rick

Those are 12 volt DC accessory power sockets.

They take a male DIN plug (or PowerLet accessory plug) -- many names.

BMW has them, your local John Deere dealer should have them, PowerLet has them-- Just Google BMW plug, or BMW power plug, or BMW accessory plug.

Then what do those recepticles supply power to? What kind of an appliance has a male end that fits?

http://www.powerlet.com/products

I use the receptacle on the dash to hook up a battery charger. When riding, I have a cable connected to supply power to a GPS.

The ABS should be on all the time. The rocker switch is for manually disabling it.

Rick : The ABS rocker is used to disable ABS; otherwise, it's always on, and a soft clank when you start rolling indicates that it's engaged. At first, I thought something was wrong with my 1999 RT, but this sound is normal, and if I don't hear it, I know something is wrong.

The R1100RT is somewhat notorious for throwing an ABS alert code in low voltage starting situations, such as in cold weather. It doesn't happen often, but often enough that I decided to install a reset switch rather than use the jumper technique in Anton Largiader's site. I didn't want to accidentally trigger the switch, so I cut a small hole in the back of the fusebox, and inserted a toggle switch, with the toggle inside, wires outside.

0EZZOV.png

Rick : The ABS rocker is used to disable ABS; otherwise, it's always on, and a soft clank when you start rolling indicates that it's engaged. At first, I thought something was wrong with my 1999 RT, but this sound is normal, and if I don't hear it, I know something is wrong.

My understanding was that, with the exception of some GS models with the ability to turn the ABS off for off-road/low traction conditions, the rocker switch on the dash was just there to temporarily disable the flashing ABS failure indicator light on the dash.

Not so?

My understanding was that, with the exception of some GS models with the ability to turn the ABS off for off-road/low traction conditions, the rocker switch on the dash was just there to temporarily disable the flashing ABS failure indicator light on the dash.

Not so?

Both of you are kind of right, somewhat wrong. You can't disable the ABS on the R1100RT like you can on the GS. The ABS switch on the RT is used along with a grounding of pin 2 on the diagnostic plug to clear ABS fault codes. It will stop the flashing light if you have a fault, but only for a minute or two - kind of pointless.

This is very helpful. When i was much younger i rode dirt bikes my last being a Husky 430WR. Minimal equipment and certainly no ABS. Thank you for your comment.

Not so?

Both of you are kind of right, somewhat wrong. You can't disable the ABS on the R1100RT like you can on the GS. The ABS switch on the RT is used along with a grounding of pin 2 on the diagnostic plug to clear ABS fault codes. It will stop the flashing light if you have a fault, but only for a minute or two - kind of pointless.

Thanks for clarifying - I was aware that it only temporarily stopped the warning flashes, and had thought, as you said, that was kind of pointless - good to know there's another purpose.