IGNORED

Replacement Connector

RPG

I've decided to replace the fuel tank/gauge connector on my R1150RT with something more robust and waterproof. The original is a four pin connector (two wires sharing a ground).

Any recommendations?

thanks

RPG

Afternoon Rick

My personal favorite is the Weatherpack (sealed)-- That type of connector has been used as OEM on automobiles for years.

You do need a good (re proper) crimp tool for a secure terminal crimping.

Weather Pack (sealed) 14/16 gauge

Edited by dirtrider

A good connector, but to be brutal, what is the problem with the OEM connector. It has worked reliably on all these bikes for years and to my knowledge, I have never seen a problem pinned down to water ingress causing shorting.

A suggestion ...

Replace the four pin connector with a 5 or 6 pin model. Then separate the ground wires on the tank side and run another ground wire on the frame side. You'll get a more accurate fuel reading at the RID for a nearly full tank.

A suggestion ...

Replace the four pin connector with a 5 or 6 pin model. Then separate the ground wires on the tank side and run another ground wire on the frame side. You'll get a more accurate fuel reading at the RID for a nearly full tank.

Morning Roger/ Rick

This is a good idea. Personally I usually use a separate (single) pin connector for the separate (brown wire) ground & put that in the separated (brown) .4mm wire, then run that wire directly to battery (-) post.

There was a BMW service bulletin on this for the 1100RT. It should also apply to the 1150RT but I don't have a specific service bulletin for the 1150RT.

The 5 pin connector should work fine, I just find it easier to package the 4 pin with a separate single pin under the tank (5 pin Weather Pack is fairly large).

A good connector, but to be brutal, what is the problem with the OEM connector. It has worked reliably on all these bikes for years and to my knowledge, I have never seen a problem pinned down to water ingress causing shorting.

Andy, a couple of the wires are hanging on by one or two strands.

RPG

A suggestion ...

My intentions exactly, Roger.

thanks,

RPG