IGNORED

Oilhead Oil Pressure Sensor Switch Leak

Jim Moore

Hi Guys,

I seem to have a leak at my oil pressure sensor switch (94 RS with RT engine). Mine looks different from the MAxBMW fiche. Mine has the blade for the electrical connector on the end. MaxBMW shows the pressure switch itself on the end. Any idea why there's a difference, or what I should do?

Afternoon Jim

That is problem area on the older BMW's. The wire connection is different & on some the threads are different.

I usually just take the old switch (sensor) to my local auto parts store & match it up.

This one might be the one for your bike (I have it penciled in my old 1100 pocket notebook but no fitment year/model written down.

I t-h-i-n-k the BMW switch for your 1994 RS is: BMW Part Number: 12611277642 (M12X1.5)

Auto parts store switch (maybe)

Oil Pressure Switch Pressure Rating 3.5-7.5 psi

Oil Pressure Switch Thread Size M12 x 1.5" Thread

UNSPSC 39122210 (maybe autozone or NAPA) -- I don't have a part number & there a many listed under the UNSPSC 39122210 number.

Edited by dirtrider
Thanks DR. Is oil going to pour out if I pull that thing off? Or is there only oil there when the engine is running?

Evening Jim

It won't pour out but oil will come out & continue to come out. I just poke a tapered rubber plug in the hole to stop the oil from flowing out after removal. (if you don't have a rubber plug then possibly a tapered wood dowel)

Could he also thread an M12 x 1.5 bolt in the there temporarily?

That may end up being my plan. I'm going on a trip this weekend. I'm going to nab an M12x1.5 bolt and install it if the leak gets worse. Hey DR, what's behind that plug? The threads on the plug are about a centimeter long. How long of a bolt can I use without running into anything? Any idea?

Btw, the Adv guys say I'm looking at an airhead plug. P/N 61 31 1 243 414. They also say I can use an oilhead plug and simply attach the wire clip sideways to the top of the plug itself. So I have a few options here.

Could he also thread an M12 x 1.5 bolt in the there temporarily?

That may end up being my plan. I'm going on a trip this weekend. I'm going to nab an M12x1.5 bolt and install it if the leak gets worse. Hey DR, what's behind that plug? The threads on the plug are about a centimeter long. How long of a bolt can I use without running into anything? Any idea?

Btw, the Adv guys say I'm looking at an airhead plug. P/N 61 31 1 243 414. They also say I can use an oilhead plug and simply attach the wire clip sideways to the top of the plug itself. So I have a few options here.

Morning Jim

The oil passage is behind that switch. I don't remember how deep that tapped passage is (not very deep though) so if you want to install a bolt with sealing washer it will have to be very short (probably around .5"-.6" to be safe as you don't want to block that passage below the switch.

Probably just as easy to stop by an auto parts store & pick up a matching oil pressure switch. (you will also need a sealing washer if one doesn't come with the switch)

Just be careful in screwing in a M12 x 1.5 bolt as there were a couple of different thread pitches used on the BMW in that era so you want to be sure that you use the correct thread pitch. (you will also need a copper or aluminum sealing washer)

61311243414%20OPS%20switch_zps1ujtkd1l.jpg

Edited by dirtrider

Make sure you don't accidentally get a tapered pipe thread switch. I've heard of one, maybe two bikes with cracked bosses from a tapered switch being jammed in.

Now I remember the story behind this. When I got the new (used) engine it had the newer plug. My bike was wired for the old plug, so I pulled out the new plug and inserted the old one from the old engine.

I was thinking to myself today, "Self, you're a packrat. there's no way you'd throw away something that looked as cool as that newer plug." And guess what I found in my box of old things a few minutes ago? That's right, the new style plug. Sweet! 

• 3 years later...
On 1/18/2017 at 4:48 PM, Jim Moore said:

Hi Guys,

I seem to have a leak at my oil pressure sensor switch (94 RS with RT engine). Mine looks different from the MAxBMW fiche. Mine has the blade for the electrical connector on the end. MaxBMW shows the pressure switch itself on the end. Any idea why there's a difference, or what I should do?

I have a leaking oil pressure switch on my 94 1100 RS.Has anyone found a source/part number for a non BMW replacement in Canada? Canadian Tire,Parts source,NAPA? Mine is 12 mm straight thread with button not blade for wire connect.

1 hour ago, GRIPPY said:

I have a leaking oil pressure switch on my 94 1100 RS.Has anyone found a source/part number for a non BMW replacement in Canada? Canadian Tire,Parts source,NAPA? Mine is 12 mm straight thread with button not blade for wire connect.

Morning Grippy

Unless you want to order from BMW dealer (or find/buy on-line)  then you will probably have to take yours to whatever auto parts stores are available in your area & try to match one up to your existing OPS.

The button part is going to be the limiter as WAY more inexpensive 12mm OPS switches with the tang terminal than the button terminal. 

But, very easy to just cut your button connector off then crimp on a tang type terminal on your oil switch wire. (or if you don't want to cut your button terminal off, possibly make a new button from a small brass screw then drill a hole in the tang &  use 2 nuts to attach your homemade button) 

Might not match the exact minimum  pressure for light turn-on but most are probably close enough to tell you when/if you ever lose oil pressure. (lots of BMW automobiles use an M12X1.5  thread oil pressure switch) 

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Grippy

Unless you want to order from BMW dealer (or find/buy on-line)  then you will probably have to take yours to whatever auto parts stores are available in your area & try to match one up to your existing OPS.

The button part is going to be the limiter as WAY more inexpensive 12mm OPS switches with the tang terminal than the button terminal. 

But, very easy to just cut your button connector off then crimp on a tang type terminal on your oil switch wire. (or if you don't want to cut your button terminal off, possibly make a new button from a small brass screw then drill a hole in the tang &  use 2 nuts to attach your homemade button) 

Might not match the exact minimum  pressure for light turn-on but most are probably close enough to tell you when/if you ever lose oil pressure. (lots of BMW automobiles use an M12X1.5  thread oil pressure switch) 

Ok thanks,i can change the wire to a blade if necessary.I'll check the stores tomorrow.

Seems to me I was able to slide the blade connector on to the button, but I don't remember exactly how it worked. 

11 minutes ago, Jim Moore said:

Seems to me I was able to slide the blade connector on to the button, but I don't remember exactly how it worked. 

Evening Jim

Yes, that is sometimes possible but GRIPPY would need to go the other way & that won't work . 

• Like 1