IGNORED

Where is this oil coming from?

greenrider

Hi

I have oil showing up on the left side of my engine and I have no idea where it is coming from. Would any of you have an idea?

I circled the area in red where the oil looks the cleanest. And circled in blue the area there is oil.

And being its a R1100RT I can see anything till I take the tupperware off.

5jGXPN1IeEx01fs3KhiRZan7lBw6gdzE71rxNfZMLu8BFUsRxkM56-lPkcM-rYCHqM4Yyc8ZZ5PeA4x0r1nlCCpEmMnmH2C6-YpUHeqpPzRoLzvhh9DzyA89ai2sDS0zOEozML6ViNjctyUKDYAafoU-Lgia8jyBIf2IHc5gfRfezLrP3qoIubX6Y5sIw1lkP4wKGGs7rH0L6cfTJgff91dHp9famsxuu3U3Vjzi7niJgIcIGpJHvYz7YFERmN6QREoC4esxF0lattSuChGs-IVlIgtxsh0YXk7CVblLRbCT1i2XxqrGBwd7F0AAlv2riIi0Hb7uzcY45vpaKeyeiRLFP0bcH29YGcABDXVNOrcJAA6YF1qhYOzYE8IIWG9mBBFy427_TpFeDCBlgmI3qS9dKq_gYUD1YNXgRFi1CIxevdxSZZPxj_r9R2dIk39MrGQPcbTqpA93h0PqBhGfYJXlwPwKWdLro_h5qkrwN6tUd0-oEvIew7OHUbgtSc2g4f9jFDhxV4nXpbTCvE8Ugy99jIBm9aIPkayhH3pIPCSGtz3FtPyI-csaQIvELXF7qBGz1e2Cu8QdYVuHP14n6BMMfiyTj8VlOVk49lhjFI3pWLHz=w847-h634-no?.jpg

UVpwBkvQ3erInd94QiuDJK4_mHfjv3yBfFdZHxxaw6pkn7mv34jS1Wa1FeOubmNA5-jYV4Akgr1JYpfA7QvT61rZ2_PlRyEJUt0K2qmfU_x0rZDT7Dym_O2AYVYDnANnvsTGCYN5uuZh606BOPi3OkRKlb48Sn1sOjtlBW-xfXXYroTTypyiqllf2r1kbAT7e_FRt4MnTs-PsxZ0_Que-GUeBG-mfAjtopVdhJsAA_mWy6tcj72s8E9dKCQ_-xX6CzIRfl6Y12A8Aar0yGOJMbGrCEd23JxTFhZ3bmRD7hj4d6DUaVlpjbOXjw2Bg3BZkM3YHnU3K_QtgokbbtzfZs2p2NWzBD5qnmQYr421KqyqQyEpWenOhJ2nPv2-lISbeH8injO-ytSqWy07pgEGhBKNnGnelLUXHMbBNZaWUzXPnf3MJ1dvn_VyPfPXXyN6AERduKUPSgNf6BRw4BK8sHDMLZPuRG0eFv176vbXJIH5NyCHdbi2260ZOHUWqxlcj7Qeih9Q7JE3EMmPFx43XKiMUBdGeokTOvOHdOwRjaWqnALaW5xwCNJlq3SuQEjqwVfwJKDY41mpVFGt0YgEhfnGMDy1o-gHJ2DMBqfrLp4gO1KQt57a=w477-h638-no?.jpg

This is the first time I tried posting pictures so lets hope it works.

greenrider,

I could see the photos when I viewed them on a computer on which I was logged into Google. But I can't see them when I try from a computer on which I'm not logged in. It's a common problem.

I wrote a how-to on posting photos from Google. Check it out here:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=971703#Post976557

That's in a thread for testing out posting pictures. Give it a try--if it doesn't work, don't hesitate to ask questions. Good luck!

GreenRider,

Looks like you are trying to post from Google Photos.

First, put the pics you want to post in a SHARED ALBUM on Google Photos. (In PHOTOS, click CREATE and SHARED ALBUMS, then add pics)

Then open the SHARED ALBUM and RIGHT click on the first pic, then click OPEN LINK IN NEW TAB.

Open that TAB and RIGHT CLICK on the pic. Click on COPY IMAGE ADDRESS

Go back to this forum (leaving PHOTOS just like it is).

Click on the ENTER AN IMAGE icon (4th from left)

Do a CONTROL V (paste) in the box, and then add "?.jpg" (without the quotation marks) to the end of the string in the box.

It works for me anyway.

I hope you don't have oil like this on the side of your engine!!

hL7TmpLE7cIt5HBgOjLWqvpq0eJZTCbiTKOjBqJDwRQlzqZUJaCV5ndUTgbtSUO5F3rGPEG7RLIAfC8hYngVBFHA-489w-TtosIM2GVx8brvE3ts0YweAnpb9AgnLZfiWYAciWsSQk69hjszD-sBkg7ELt1C5APRSxxhNNrdaCZXs7k4SXlPMm-5rEvkzajCzKsaUzV-zD-9uSlY0CWLlJWsbUOSXtAapd9aMn3coPY86OWy7MPtS1f6g7NzBVqjvFGfLYJlCoHFXzfveTo_DqXdusaHjgxdrm8feBywq1AcygWRptK3WoUP0Q269aGFcCIg5h_0IueiFaNp3x2-QAX3nyapvdl7AdxNMOfCHX1a-Oj_iypJI_Vd-jos2aT_H3ZWxgntxEA77L3y7ZDLIMGggqB2y5SdjszIL_d6cmZ1fdJwbM6jmw1grA7Vs7_Z9NRQoQAkHoHOk3HiWoi0thoj1dIkIHr73UMH9q8EKGUv7NzIPCHX5Q01nj1A54vaF9OR33D3Ko4N1rdC1XAunCZqI7pcm3hFUA8HZ1tFVW422AHQ04abS44IyHKoEsIfuRnV4LcSeeNnh4BVONE_lzxLbqf2kcb-Run65xW56rLYG0HP1Q7-uv9zGSI8Z_hciS4eFmEwsKJlquHBAufXZk--QcqSexC8Qn8b05rZYA=w360-h639-no?.jpg

XyvrBQZ05j-YbvjbAkzjAoKlNqoO-8VrX_jOxYGyh0bSdPjBpF-riflhe8A2yBVjFfOQb0nANeIyNi3yPu1aoXXl8_C5eA3AzLHWC4SRmQ2JY_oaQz-eJohBDbF-Ok0e7RLV39WQQmAV7-LLUAlS3nfFfMhYBoq7quCw2j7RK-7i-uFvhqzPAzm6afhdim3ZIRdUY3_lj8jvpQqxMbIQbXIxFsZAYi6B60u9AtNLXgMvHvlcIdh67ffLR3-_T2ZgJ_Ku0Y8rgmBLlAYed5o-vjanXkHpZWFGUWxpPOPGY3ZzmQG2Vw4dagQGwH0UUvwWacszV_zS9cuUZdmDH4kS7kdzN8ievyGXl82yNg1MJA4xpD_mq5MQdpqWtG2Lki9vjaYyPLbvD-L_2XvukpI217-6-9SfLGrhIfq6lrc3l8inbs55M2_DQIZeHBRD1vUK8sfgaPAFSwgQO2P-5JNRzJO6AXtF0rqIAeyOOHD5NfG5UNKK3LdNkBLqrmC1hE1fFqtgs3GYHmX53BJaTkxmYrJW8JQFzmRiQI3rLDsNV6y0N-pUNpyhf4uoSKLE1UtvOZ8ep8w8Bzgy92W8B5ErG5AxxeePxuh2BOm8sajOtINWkmjAkul0B6lZjsqsgzJIOx2y3MJvMehqPWTdhgRhURcMvUsg4zrxtZG9Y-uAKA=w360-h639-no?.jpg

Lowndes

I'm logged in to google but no pics for me.

Hmmm.

Ipad using safari browser logged into Google, I can see them. Windows laptop using Chrome, logged into Google, I can't see them.

I'm still going to blame Google. :grin:

Left side of the engine on an RT? My first thought is the sight glass is leaking and likely wants to escape. It's a quick and inexpensive fix and I'm pretty close (Maple, Ont) if you need a hand. I did it a few years ago and nary a weep or seep since.

Following the 'how to post pictures' comments, I've never had an issue with Photobucket. Free, works with all browsers, never an issue unless it was the carbon link between the keyboard and screen.

IMG_5059_zpscswscbgz.jpg

300K kms on the old girl and she's still pumping along.

Good luck, and don't forget to reduce the size of the .jpg before posting.

Edited by CaptainKcorb

When google killed picasa, they made quite a mess for photo posting by not allowing you to get a direct link to the .jpg file. If you have a phone or tablet that you can get the pixite web album app for, I've still been able to get .jpg links through it once I set up my google accounts in the app. I'm slowly transitioning to a paid smugmug account due to my frustration with google photos. It is a bit less friendly from the app side, but works great in a web browser.

Back to the OP - Three common leaks are the oil pressure switch, the sight glass and the front cover / alternator support which can impact either side or both. Hopefully you can find a way to post photos. If all else fails, email them to me and I'll post them for you. (my user name here and on gmail are the same)

Edited by rxcrider

I can't see your pics but is there oil on the back side of the cylinder heads? My R1100RT jugs have a round plate, maybe 1 1/4" diameter which have oil on them and the surrounding area. I've never paid much attention to this until I saw your post. This may be another one of those things the "R series bikes are famous for."

I can't see your pics but is there oil on the back side of the cylinder heads? My R1100RT jugs have a round plate, maybe 1 1/4" diameter which have oil on them and the surrounding area. I've never paid much attention to this until I saw your post. This may be another one of those things the "R series bikes are famous for."

A simple O-ring replacement will fix that!

I was thinking so much about posting the pictures I forgot to add my message.

Thanks for offering to help with sight glass but I don't think that's where most of the oil is coming.

The air cleaner housing only had a table spoon of oil when I removed the plug.

Does the sensor have tapered thread or oring to seal?

Thanks for all the help to get the pictures post

PAS, I'll have to take a closer look. This could be old oil that has been there awhile. I'll clean the cylinder head covers and watch for leaks.

Edited by Roger C
Does the sensor have tapered thread or oring to seal?

Thanks for all the help to get the pictures post

It oil pressure sensor has d crush washer. It's an M12 x 1.5. I'd replace the sensor itself instead of just the crush washer. They're only about $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Pressure-Switch-BMW-Oilhead/dp/B01GKSP0J6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1485255116&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=bmw+oilhead+r1100+oil+pressure+switch

Yes all the bolts are tight.

There is sign of oil all the way up to the top. But it doesnt seem to be as wet as whats circled in red. It hard to know where the wind is pushing the oil to.

Its not like I have to add oil often. I might add a total of one litre in 10,000 km.

Don't dismiss the oil sight glass so quickly.

Yours is leaking.

You have the older plastic window which are known to blow out especially if you are in the habit of giving the bike a nice long warm up.

The rubber seal heats up and now that it's lubricated, it can easily pop out under crankcase pressure.

The newer style is actual glass and lasts much longer than the original plastic.

The glass one has a clear center bullseye divot in it, not the red circle yours has.

Don't dismiss the oil sight glass so quickly.

Yours is leaking.

You have the older plastic window which are known to blow out especially if you are in the habit of giving the bike a nice long warm up.

The rubber seal heats up and now that it's lubricated, it can easily pop out under crankcase pressure.

The newer style is actual glass and lasts much longer than the original plastic.

The glass one has a clear center bullseye divot in it, not the red circle yours has.

I totally agree with this as the first step to take. For several years I had oil crud on the lower left cylinder fins and beyond, and could not figure where it was coming from. I replaced the washers on the oil fill plug, but that didn't help. Only when I replaced the sight glass was I able to clean and keep clean the lower left side of the engine.