IGNORED

Bar Oil on sale at ACE

scout6

My son does tree work and runs his Stihl saws several hours each day. He will only use Stihl bar oil or the used synthetic 5W20 from my ford pickup. Says the used synthetic from the truck flows like the Stihl bar oil and is worried that anything else is hard on the pump.

Gotta admit, I had no idea what you guys were talking about until it was explained to me. I was wondering if I was deficient in caring for the bar top by the pool.😜

In the olden days we used to just use motor oil. It was cheaper and it worked just fine if you set your oiler to max. It worked best in the winter of course because temps were low. These days most folks use ofishul bar oil as it sticks on the chain more gooder. Like motorcycles, i figure even good oil is relatively cheap compared to engine damage. Your choice.

My reply was a bit tongue in cheek. But I also realize that many would not have an idea what the term "bar oil" actually means. Not sure if the OP did.

That said, back when I was around timber crews they always had jugs of bar oil. Not sure if it was dedicated bar oil or not. Engine oil is actually a bit thin and will run through the saw before the fuel tank runs dry. Which you don't want. I use bar oil made for that purpose. Seems to have something in it that makes it sticky. No more than I use, cost isn't an issue.

I was actually going for subtle humor, but seemed to miss my mark. It is supposed to snow again here this week. So, with less subtle humor. If you get too thin of an oil, the mugs would slide off the end of the bar. Too thick, and they'd catch and tip, spilling beer. Sealed wood would probably have a more even drag coefficient, with unsealed woods varying greatly. Had neck surgery and have been stuck inside for two months. Looking forward to the UN, and some late night bar oil discussions.

My Stihl has only had Stihl bar oil and the bar and chain lasts a lot longer than those who use used motor oil

A good test is to put UMO in the saw and let it sit on your nice garage floor.. You will need to clean up the oil off the floor.

The viscosity is way to thin to be of any help other than in a pinch.

I was actually going for subtle humor, but seemed to miss my mark. It is supposed to snow again here this week. So, with less subtle humor. If you get too thin of an oil, the mugs would slide off the end of the bar. Too thick, and they'd catch and tip, spilling beer. Sealed wood would probably have a more even drag coefficient, with unsealed woods varying greatly. Had neck surgery and have been stuck inside for two months. Looking forward to the UN, and some late night bar oil discussions.

This is fantastic. Nothing like floating some subtle humor with the hope that a kindred soul will grab it and run with it. Of course, in my own attempts, I find myself giggling initially with the humor slowly ebbing as few seem to pick up what I am putting down. It's still worth it. Perhaps Mitch will weigh in with a faux scientific analysis of wood species stiction as it relates to beer container composition, thus ending forever the well-known question of whether ales slide more securely than lagers. Ya know, such an analysis may lead to a more universal understanding as to how the polyurethane exterior of a properly spun bowling ball can more evenly distribute a poorly placed oil pattern, commonly seen in public lanes. I think these topics are related (clearly it's all about the grain in both scenarios), which is why I do not listen to music while riding a motorcycle.

Good luck with your recovery, Spring will soon be here.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Perhaps Mitch will weigh in with a faux scientific analysis of wood species stiction as it relates to beer container composition, thus ending forever the well-known question of whether ales slide more securely than lagers.

What do you mean "faux"?

So, I am guessing the bottle of fish oil in the sporting goods store will not generate much humor. I am thinking how the fish can slide through the water easier.

So, I am guessing the bottle of fish oil in the sporting goods store will not generate much humor. I am thinking how the fish can slide through the water easier.

Hold that thought...what about a gallon of tire lube on the shelf of your local tire dealer........think hard about the reaction of non-tire mounting people........

Huh. I had a Sears chainsaw for 35 years, always put 30wt, per the manual, in the tank. Handle finally broke off and I couldn't repair it. Went several years without a saw, bought a new electric one the other day, came with bar oil, I thought WTH???

You guys make it sound like it's a thing. I guess I'll get a barrel.

Nothing like an oil thread to stir the masses, even if the oil is for chain saws. I live in Origone. We do chain saws here. I worked in the forest products industry for 'a while'. In the olden days, there was no bar oil. We used motor oil. Some used new, some used used. One must move on with advances in technology. Today's bar oil is superior to motor oil for protecting the chain and the bar regardless of summer or winter use. Just my opinion based on a few years of beta testing oil and replacing miles of chain and one or two bars.

PS Most weekend chain saw users don't set their oiler rate correctly and it wouldn't matter what type of oil they use.