IGNORED

Introducing ScuffBlocker.com. Our New Business.

EffBee

Pretty much everyone here is aware of MotoReflective.com, our home-based side business which for 18 years has been providing pre-cut reflective kits for the rear of BMW saddlebags. We're #1 in the world and are very proud of our reputation for quality and customer service.

- - - - - - - - - -

Well, I'm retired now, and with the move into retirement came a whole lot of free time, and a search for what the next business venture should be (I'm retired, but I can't stop working). Then one day as I was mounting up for a nice breakfast ride, I literally bumped into it. I did what I'd done a hundred times before, and what just about everyone here has probably done several times. I swung my leg over my RT, and once it cleared the seat, I relaxed it and dropped my boot right onto my saddlebag. DANG! I was going to have to buff out another boot scrape when I got home, and HOPE I didn't gouge the surface and create permanent damage. Why doesn't someone make a clear protective kit that. . ? . . wait a minute. Why don't WE make a clear protective kit that keeps boot scuffs off of saddlebags? And while we're at it, why don't we make it so it protects the front of the bags against stone chips and other paint damage.

PPF%20Pro%20Series%20Logo.jpg

That was about a year ago. And it's been a heckuva year. Researching the various protective films, getting samples, testing them for optical clarity, scuff resistance, ease of installation and determining the absolute best one (3M's top-of-the-line Pro Series, IMHO). Then locating a premium 3M distributor who offers an official 3-day training program to become a Certified "Pro Series" Paint Protection Film Installer (not cheap, as I found out). Finding the space to grow the business. Borrowing saddlebags from dealers and individuals again so all the prototype work that goes into designing well-fitting cutting patterns could take place. Learning about shooting and editing videos. I also saw that BMW offers a horribly expensive partial kit that just covers the top of the bags, and that the "other" competition offers cheap kits, with costly upgrades to the super-quality 3M film, plus upcharges for a professional squeegee and for baby shampoo, and they don't even include the spray bottles (it's a wet/soapy mounting process, not unlike window tint), etc. Nope, if we were going to do this, it was gonna be done right. And done in a way where the average consumer gets everything they needed in a single package, and can do this themselves in their garage. Quality, thoroughness and support. It's a proven formula for success.

Now, do you really care about our journey? Probably not. But it truly WAS a process. And it's not quite done, but it will be soon. The final steps are the focused on the installation videos that will be on our Youtube channel, so it looks like a few more weeks. So why am I announcing these new products a few weeks early? I'll explain below. In the meantime, here's what each kit will contain:

A 16-oz spray bottle for the soapy solution and a 16-oz spray bottle for the water/alcohol solution. A small bottle of baby shampoo and a dispensing syringe to measure out the small amount of shampoo needed. A professional squeegee and the actual Paint Protection Film for BOTH of your saddlebags delivered in a protective cardboard roll.

Soapy%20Bottle-Ti.jpgAlcohol%20Bottle-Ti.jpgBaby%20Shampoo-Ti.jpgSyringe-Ti.jpgBlack%20Squeegee-Ti.jpgRolled%20Film-Ti.jpg

Basically, here's the entire kit.

Full%20Kit%20cropped-S.jpg

OK, so why the early announcement? Well, I'm going to go to the UnRally in Red Lodge, MT, and I'm stopping at Whip's pre-UnRally gathering in Salida, CO on my way there. A few of the members here already know about my new products and asked if I would ship a few kits to these locations, and install them on their bikes. I said Yes. And if I can do it for them, I can do it for about 20 more (there's going to be 100 bikes at these locations, but that's all the installation time I'm going to have). This is not as an UnRally vendor (we don't have "official" vendors at the Un), but much the same as anyone making oh, say, custom earplugs or anything else. And I wanted to show the product to everyone now, and will take pre-orders from those who want this installed, so I know how much to ship to Whip's (I'll be there for a couple of days) and to ship to Red Lodge as well.

Initially, the business will offer about 10 different kits. The obvious ones for us BMW riders are for the '05-'13 RT hexheads and camheads (and K12/K13GT's), as well as the new RT-L/C and K16GT/GTL's (same bags on these latest RT's and K16's). We also have kits for the '05-'12 GSA bags, and the newer GSA-L/C panniers. We'll eventually have kits for the new R1200RS and R, with their flat grey colored bags. That will require a "frosted" film to get the best look, which we have, but it won't quite be "invisible." I don't know yet about the R11XX bags. The film is not invisible on these bags (I tested it on my 1100RT), but if the demand is high enough, we'll eventually develop kits for these as well.

The company will be called ScuffBlocker and the website will be ScuffBlocker.com. Pricing is not finalized, but complete PPF kits are probably going to be in the $69.95 - $79.95 area for the RT's and K1600's, and around $99.95 for the full top/front kits for the GSA's. For this event I'll be selling just the film and the installation labor (you won't need the spray bottles, squeegee, etc, because I'm bringing that). I know I'm repeating myself, but each kit covers BOTH saddlebags.

So for this event, the price will be a flat $85, including installation (takes about a half hour per kit). If you're interested, please send me a PM and tell me which of the following ScuffBlocker Kits you'd like me to install on your bike. You can pay at Whip's or at Red Lodge. Cash works, or I might ("might") be set up with one of those cell phone card swipes by then. But no promises.

You will have to wash your saddlebags very, very well just before I install (there will be a washing station), and after that, I'll take over. Never again will you have to worry about, or be embarrassed by, kicking your cases. In fact, the company's motto is "Block That Kick!" And stone chips and other small road debris won't be damaging your paint where the clear PPF is installed. Take a look at the photos below to get an idea of each kit's coverage, and send me a PM with which kit you want.

Kit #SB-10: Fits 2005-2013 R1200RT, the K1200/K1300GT's.

05RT%20Invisible%20resized%2C%20titled-S.jpg05RT%20Visible%20resized%2C%20titled-S.jpg

Kit #SB-15: Fits the 2014+ R1200RT-L/C as well as the K1600GT. If you have a K1600GTL or GTLE, then you'll want Kit #SB-20 which wraps around the chrome side strip on your saddlebags.

14RT%2C%20GT%20Invisible%2C%20titled-S.jpg14RT%2C%20GT%20Visible%2C%20titled-S.jpg

Kit #SB-52: Fits the lid and front of the 2005-2012 R1200GSA. If you have the newer R1200GSA-L/C then you'll want Kit #SB-58.

GSA-LC%20Invisible%2C%20resized%2C%20titled-M.jpgGSA-LC%20Visible%2C%20resized%2C%20titled-M.jpg

Again, I'll need you to send me a PM with 3 things.

1. Your actual name.

2. The Kit # you want (see above).

3. And where you'd like the installation done. . . at Whip's if you're going there first, or at Red Lodge if you're going there directly.

I'll cut your kit immediately upon receipt of your PM, and put it in a protective cardboard roll with your name on it for mass shipping. I'm shipping all kits and installation supplies on Thursday, 7/14, so that's the cutoff, or when I get 20 committed customers, whichever comes first. I'll be at Whip's starting Thursday evening and will install on Friday and Saturday, until noon, then I'm helping Louise with prepping for the festivities. I'll be installing at Red Lodge on Tues and Wed, probably in the mornings and maybe one or two in the afternoons. The rest of the time, I'm going riding. Again, I'll probably have time to do about 20 installations, so first come, first served.

As this business fully comes to life, as we get the installation videos completed and get ready to ship complete kits to customers, I'll be updating this information on this thread and opening up the ScuffBlocker.com website. Thanks for letting me ramble on a bit. It has been a one-year labor of love. I'm excited about this, I'm proud of how great these kits work, how they'll protect our saddlebags from road dings and boot marks and keep them looking new.

If anyone has questions, please post below. Thank you.

Doug_Baliko

Great idea! It looks like a great product. When available, I'll certainly be an early customer. I wish you the best of luck.

Doug

Beemer Dood

I've had these on my bags for about six months now. I had purchased reflective material from another company and installed it myself. I'm moderately handy and followed the instructions I received on the phone from the guy at the store where I'd purchased them. I watched a bunch of YouTube vids to help out with the install. The results were horrid. I had dozens of air bubbles, spacing between the two pieces of material on each back was off, and they were crooked. Mea culpa completely. I just didn't have the skills that this install required.

I spoke to EffBee about the reflective product he made. He mentioned in our exchange that occasionally he did the installations. Since he lived a short ride away, and was amenable, I had him do the install for me. I'm very happy with the results, but that's a separate discussion.

While I was at his place he asked if I'd like to try what is now known as the ScuffBlocker, his latest product. I'd already spent hours rubbing out drag marks from my boots on the bags on my R1200RT, so I jumped at the opportunity.

I'm fairly tall but have both knee and hip issues that affect raising my leg and moving it across the saddle. There's weakness, restricted range of movement and poor balance. (It takes a real man to face the cr*p that goes along with getting old, at least that's what I keep telling myself). On a good day I manage to hit the bags with my boot about 10% of the time, mounting and dismounting. More often with my heavier boots than with my summer boots, but it happens with both. After a long day, almost EVERY dismount meant a new scuff mark on my bags. At the end of the day, on a recent 5−day, 900 mile+ trip, I was hitting the bags at most mounts as well as with every dismount.

There's not a single new scuff mark on my bags since the ScuffBlockers were installed. The dirt that's transferred is removed with the wipe of a glove, or sometimes a spit-moistened thumb. The material is virtually invisible. Several times I've asked people to take a close look at my bags and none of them have been able to spot it. A couple of times when I went to show it to them, I had a hard time finding the edge.

I give this a 10/10 rating for how well they protect the bags.

The Rocketman

Is this the same material I've seen on YouTube that is self-healing/self-sealing when it does get scuffed?

Is this the same material I've seen on YouTube that is self-healing/self-sealing when it does get scuffed?

If the YouTube videos you've been watching are about 3M Pro Series Paint Protection Film, then yes, it is the same super-high-quality clear film.

(about 2min. long)

(About 2:45 and a nice comparison of the toughness, durability and self-healing properties)
I'm fairly tall but have both knee and hip issues that affect raising my leg and moving it across the saddle. There's weakness, restricted range of movement and poor balance. (It takes a real man to face the cr*p that goes along with getting old, at least that's what I keep telling myself). On a good day I manage to hit the bags with my boot about 10% of the time, mounting and dismounting. More often with my heavier boots than with my summer boots, but it happens with both. After a long day, almost EVERY dismount meant a new scuff mark on my bags. At the end of the day, on a recent 5-day, 900 mile+ trip, I was hitting the bags at most mounts as well as with every dismount.

There's not a single new scuff mark on my bags since the ScuffBlockers were installed. The dirt that's transferred is removed with the wipe of a glove, or sometimes a spit-moistened thumb. The material is virtually invisible. Several times I've asked people to take a close look at my bags and none of them have been able to spot it. A couple of times when I went to show it to them, I had a hard time finding the edge.

I give this a 10/10 rating for how well they protect the bags.

Thanks. I remember your bike. We talked about a lot of things (mostly raising Service Dogs), and you were very surprised about our new protective film product. So glad to know it's working out for you. Even though I did your installation, our goal is to produce a product that has everything the consumer needs, including good information and installation videos, that you can do this in your own garage. I've taken the 3M training, and learned all sorts of tricks to install this stuff on wildly shaped automotive grills. But on saddlebags, it's very straightforward. If you can use a spray bottle and a squeegee, it's a done deal.

Complete kit. Easy to install. No scuffs. No problems.

UPDATE: So far, 5 of the 20 combined installation appointments (at Whip's and at the UnRally) have been taken.

Well of course you got certified, 'cuz you are certifiable. Man can't sit still. Say, do you have something on the drawing board called "Workblocker"? I could use some of that stuff.

Have fun at the Un my friend. Good luck with the new venture - I'm sure the Pennster's goal of keeping you out of the house will be realized. :-)

Well of course you got certified, 'cuz you are certifiable. Man can't sit still. Say, do you have something on the drawing board called "Workblocker"? I could use some of that stuff.

Have fun at the Un my friend. Good luck with the new venture - I'm sure the Pennster's goal of keeping you out of the house will be realized. :-)

Thanks, Jake. "Workblocker," Hmmm. I thought that would be retirement. But the mind keeps on rolling, and this idea came to me and I just had to act on it.

As soon as I started researching it, I realized I had to go forward with it. Every BMW ride I'd go on, or every time I'd stop by a dealer and look at the customer bikes in their parking lot (or even their dealer demo bikes) I'd see scuff and scrape marks on the saddlebags. Not to sound accusatory, but just about everyone does it. And on such beautiful bikes. Even the Japanese sport/touring bikes and Harleys have boot damage on their bags. I saw it on low-ridin' cruisers you'd think would be easy to swing a leg over. I saw it on BMW police bikes with their slim bags (both boot damage and damage from where the holster seems to rest on the front part of the bag). I saw a customer take delivery of a brand new bike at one dealer, and he kicked his bag as he mounted to take his new beauty home. If we're investing $20K and more in our two wheeled enjoyment, Paint Protection Film to prevent damage to our saddlebags is a necessity.

As for Penny, she's just glad I'm not sitting around until noon in my slippers. The day starts early and I'm busy. That makes us both happy.

I would suggest a robe or other clothing along with just the slippers.....especially if you have a vinyl easy chair......

As for Penny, she's just glad I'm not sitting around until noon in my slippers. The day starts early and I'm busy. That makes us both happy.

I would suggest a robe or other clothing along with just the slippers.....especially if you have a vinyl easy chair......

I didn't think oatmeal could come out through my nose, but you just proved me wrong. Thanks for my morning laugh. :rofl:

Just had a fun visit with Larry Bump (LBump) who wanted the new Scuff Blocker film installed on his '09RT's saddlebags before he takes off for the UnRally. It took a little longer than we'd anticipated, but we chatted about so many things as I installed the film. I'd been at many events where Larry was there, but never got to talk with him one-on-one for very long. What a great pleasure.

Thanks for stopping by, Larry. Now you can swing a leg over your bike with confidence and impunity, and also fear no gravel truck.

Will you make this for the RT-P? Just got a 2016 for work and want to keep it looking new for as long as possible.

Already done. A dealer I work with mentioned that on the new water-cooled RTP's, the saddlebags are a bit farther forward and up from the previous model. This means that an officer's holster will often flex and dip back such that it will ride on the forward portion of the saddlebag lid. In addition to that, a LEO will often experience the same, "Dang it, I kicked my saddlebags" mistake that we all make on our civilian bikes. So, the film pattern we made for the new RTP covers the entire length of the top surface of the RTP lids.

These will be available as soon as we launch the ScuffBlocker website. At present, the kit is scheduled to be Part #SB-4.

greiffster

Now you can swing a leg over your bike with confidence and impunity, and also fear no gravel truck.

Great slogan for the website.... "Mount with Impunity" :grin:

Effbee, once you have a frosted option available, I'm in. My RT is Graphite matte.

Outstanding product!

In a perfect world, Penny and I would come to your Barn Hoedown and I'd install it there. But I'll have it available much sooner than Sept. In fact, if someone needs it for their bike, I can ship a kit or two to Red Lodge. They just need to let me know.

Don't forget about the Radio Box lid. I seem to scuff the edges up from time to time. We mount and dis-mount 80+ times a shift. Those motor boots start to get heavy quick. I'll be waiting for your site to go up so i can order a set.

Sailorlite

Can the product be uninstalled if necessary without damage to the bag's paint? Does it begin to turn yellow after a few years? And regarding color, are any colors or tints available other than the clear version? Thanks.

Can the product be uninstalled if necessary without damage to the bag's paint? Does it begin to turn yellow after a few years? And regarding color, are any colors or tints available other than the clear version? Thanks.

The 3M Pro Series Paint Protection Film is the same protective film that is used to protect the paint on the fascias of high-end sports cars like Ferraris, Porsches all the way down to regular cars like Toyotas. It carries a 7-year warranty from 3M. Of course, that warranty is based on worse-case scenario, like being out in the sun all day, every day, for 7 years. If your bike is not out in the sun every day, then I would expect it to last even longer. It's a lot like the 3M Reflective kits we make for the rear of your saddlebags. That also has a 7-year warranty from 3M, but we have bikes out there that have had it on for 15 years and it still works fine, because the bike isn't out in the sun all day, every day.

As for yellowing, the answer is no. It will not yellow. Again, it's put on cars that are left in open parking lots at work all day, 5 days a week, and it does not yellow.

The film can be removed. 3M is the global master of adhesives, and this one can be removed even a couple of years down the road. The longest personal experience I've had with a removal is on a set of saddlebags we did early in the development of our protective kits. I had the owner come back 6 months later to get an updated version of his protective kit installed, and we removed the old one without a problem. It was relatively easy. It just took a firm, slow pull. About a minute or so per bag.

To the best of my knowledge, it only comes in clear. The natural color of what's underneath (your saddlebag color) shines through to the point where you'd think the film was invisible. Couple that to its stretchability, ability to compress slightly, its self-healing properties, and its durability (

to a video where they try and shove a car key through the material --- fast forward to :55 sec.), and you'll see why this material is simply amazing.

Had the pleasure of visiting Fernando the other day to have the ScuffBlocker clear wrap applied to the side cases on a 09 RT. FB took me through the steps from viewing the cut pattern file for the particular case, to seeing the film cut. Pretty slick…

The film is very flexible and has the clarity of water. Any surface prep, whether it be touch-up paint or claying the surface etc. should be done. What you see and feel on your lids is what you’ll see after the film is applied. It’s important to have the surface clean and smooth. Fernando made the installation look painless. Didn’t hear him curse once… With command and mastery, he went through the steps, applying the film with the necessary solutions and explaining the process along the way. There is a certain amount of finesse in the handling, but I wouldn’t be intimidated by doing it; even if it was a first time try. A little patience in the process is a plus.

End result… Looks good and I’m not going to worry about boot scuffs or rock chips.

Great product, Fernando. Thanks! :thumbsup:

The 3M Pro Series Paint Protection Film is the same protective film that is used to protect the paint on the fascias of high-end sports cars like Ferraris, Porsches all the way down to regular cars like Toyotas. It carries a 7-year warranty from 3M. Of course, that warranty is based on worse-case scenario, like being out in the sun all day, every day, for 7 years. If your bike is not out in the sun every day, then I would expect it to last even longer. It's a lot like the 3M Reflective kits we make for the rear of your saddlebags. That also has a 7-year warranty from 3M, but we have bikes out there that have had it on for 15 years and it still works fine, because the bike isn't out in the sun all day, every day.

As for yellowing, the answer is no. It will not yellow. Again, it's put on cars that are left in open parking lots at work all day, 5 days a week, and it does not yellow.

The film can be removed. 3M is the global master of adhesives, and this one can be removed even a couple of years down the road. The longest personal experience I've had with a removal is on a set of saddlebags we did early in the development of this our protective kits. I had the owner come back 6 months later to get an updated version of his protective kit installed, and we removed the old one without a problem. It was relatively easy. It just took a firm, slow pull. About a minute or so per bag.

To the best of my knowledge, it only comes in clear. The natural color of what's underneath (your saddlebag color) shines through to the point where you'd think the film was invisible. Couple that to its stretchability, ability to compress slightly, its self-healing properties, and its durability (

to a video where they try and shove a car key through the material --- fast forward to :55 sec.), and you'll see why this material is simply amazing.

Apparently they are available in matte as well. I had bought a set of tank protector from another vendor many months ago, and they had supplied clear glossy for the blue part of the tank and matte for the gray part of the tank. Apparently, if I had a matte finish on my RT, all the pieces would have been matte, to match.

szurszewski

Apparently they are available in matte as well. I had bought a set of tank protector from another vendor many months ago, and they had supplied clear glossy for the blue part of the tank and matte for the gray part of the tank. Apparently, if I had a matte finish on my RT, all the pieces would have been matte, to match.

Yes - Fernando mentioned that in his initial post - I assume in the post you're quoting, when he said clear, he was including the frosted/matte in as clear as well.

Here's what he said:

That will require a "frosted" film to get the best look, which we have, but it won't quite be "invisible." I don't know yet about the R11XX bags. The film is not invisible on these bags (I tested it on my 1100RT), but if the demand is high enough, we'll eventually develop kits for these as well.

Thanks, PadG. Yes, some bikes will require a "matte" or "frosted" film. That would include RT's with the matte finish on their cases, as well as the matte cases for the new R1200RS and R1200R.

As szurszewski pointed out, I referenced this earlier. This matte film is available. I don't have a large amount of it yet because our website is still being finalized and we're not fully open for business. This thread was an introduction to our business and an opportunity for those who will be at the UnRally to have me ship some paint protection kits up there a few days ahead and personally do the installation at the Un, before the product actually reaches the market. If someone wants that, they just need to send me a PM telling me they want it. And, if anyone needs a matte film install, then tell me that. I'll cut their paint protection kit in that film instead of the clear, and ship it to the UnRally location in Montana so I can install it for them there. No problem.

It's exciting to be launching a new business, especially now that I'm retired. So many details to take care of. New customers to make happy. Getting the word out. It's truly a thrill. I've seen this film work, how it installs and how it protects. I can't wait for everyone else to experience the protection, no more boot scuffs, stone chips or damage. We pay a lot for our BMW's. The saddlebags are particularly vulnerable. They stick up and out. If we can help keep thousands of sets of bags in great shape for years to come, I think this effort will have been worth it.

PLEASE NOTE:

On Wed 7/13 I'll be shipping all of the pre-ordered ScuffBlocker Clear Protection Film Kits, along with all of the installation tools I'll need to install these paint protection kits on the saddlebags of those who've PM'd me asking for them (as per above).

For those who want a kit installed on their saddlebags, to protect against boot scuffs, stone chips and damage from other road debris, please PM me and let me know ASAP so I can include yours and have it in Salida or Red Lodge ready to install. The box I'm shipping things in only has room for a few more.

Thanks.

All the pre-ordered ScuffBlocker Saddlebag Paint Protection film kits, along with the necessary installation tools, have been shipped to Whip's and will also be taken to Red Lodge. Thank you to all who pre-ordered. For those who want to see the product in action before deciding, I will have some extras for 05-13RT's and K12/K13GT's, for 2014+ R1200RT-LC's and K1600GT's, and one extra for a K16GTL or GTLE. You can let me know now and secure one of the extra kits, or tell me in Salida or Red Lodge.

Whew! Now to get to work on the bike. BIG service this weekend. That's all fluids, oil/air/fuel filters, valves, new throttle cables and requisite TB syncs, brake system flush, alt belt, etc.) Nothing 6-8 hours and some busted knuckles and a few choice words won't take care of.

Thanks again, everyone for making this new venture so well received.

• 2 months later...

EffBee:

I am a very satisfied customer of your Reflective Tape kit (installed on 2016 R1200RS).

I don't seem to have success with connecting to www.scuffblocker.com

I am interested in such a product for the standard BMW panniers for 2016 R1200RS.

I look forward to hearing from you.

EffBee:

I am a very satisfied customer of your Reflective Tape kit (installed on 2016 R1200RS).

I am interested in such a product for the standard BMW panniers for 2016 R1200RS.

Believe me, I'd like to have the website up and product shipping out. All of the patterns are designed and ready to go. But you won't be able to install them without a video showing you how to do that. And that's the hold up. We should have the installation videos ready in a month to 6 weeks.

• 3 months later...
EffBee:

Believe me, I'd like to have the website up and product shipping out. All of the patterns are designed and ready to go. But you won't be able to install them without a video showing you how to do that. And that's the hold up. We should have the installation videos ready in a month to 6 weeks.

Is there a timeline update. I see that the website still isn't active. Waiting to spend my money. :grin:

Doug