IGNORED

Have Things Slowed Down?

Amac

Is it my imagination or are things a lot slower than they used to be? I see fewer posts on here than before I got busy and did less touring in 2006...I see fewer BMWs on the road now that I'm looking. For that matter, I just see fewer motorcycles, period.

BMW sales are up worldwide.

It may be where you are?

But there are ebbs and flows, seasonalities, etc as you know.

But maybe you're right...

The board has changed over time.

It is kind of a slow time of the year riding wise for most folks.

Do you want to discuss Pulls To The Right?

Is it my imagination or are things a lot slower than they used to be? I see fewer posts on here than before ........

Didn't you get the memo?

The tide comes in, the tide goes out... I know this because I lived in Florida for 25 years... just sayn'

Where the tide is about 6". :rofl:

The tide comes in, the tide goes out... I know this because I lived in Florida for 25 years... just sayn'

Annual King Tide

and then we have global warming, which will put me on the water eventually.

:grin:

Ride up to Alaska this summer and you'll see more GSA's than you can 'shake a stick at'. Others as well, in all flavors. Haven't looked but suspect the MOA Rally draws pretty much the same numbers as years past (well, maybe not in Kansas in July).

This site has actually stayed more active than some of the others I frequent. BMW or other brands. Been that way since about September, it does seem less active than in past years.

Is it my imagination or are things a lot slower than they used to be? I see fewer posts on here than before ........

Didn't you get the memo?

Looking back at that thread is interesting. The big social media, like Facebook and Twitter have certainly evolved, from being a connection between friends and family to being clearly commercialized and politicized media. I've been guilty myself of spending too much time and emotional energy there. There are days when I sign off of Facebook, agitated and frustrated. The power of the internet has indeed been harnessed in many places . . . to effect anger, hatred, and division.

In the end I come back here because it's all about motorcycles and friendship. Mister Rogers' Neighborhood isn't such a bad place to be from, or to return to.

Didn't you get the memo?

Looking back at that thread is interesting. The big social media, like Facebook and Twitter have certainly evolved, from being a connection between friends and family to being clearly commercialized and politicized media. I've been guilty myself of spending too much time and emotional energy there. There are days when I sign off of Facebook, agitated and frustrated. The power of the internet has indeed been harnessed in many places . . . to effect anger, hatred, and division.

In the end I come back here because it's all about motorcycles and friendship. Mister Rogers' Neighborhood isn't such a bad place to be from, or to return to.

I've pretty much quit watching the news for the same reason.

Our brains only have so much capacity for this stuff.

Realizing a 70 year old WASP male in S. Illinois won't be able to make a difference in our polarized country, I choose to not be reminded on a daily basis.

Nancy says I'm getting old, my son says I'm old, I say lets go riding!

Annual King Tide

and then we have global warming, which will put me on the water eventually.

:grin:

4' isn't that much tide, I've boated in areas that have 17' tides on a regular basis, the problem is you live in Flatstanizan. But the whole east coast will be under water according to some forecasts of the effect of climate change. BTW What is the elevation at your house? I'm at around 540 feet, high enough, I think. :wave:

The big social media, like Facebook and Twitter have certainly evolved, from being a connection between friends and family to being clearly commercialized and politicized media. I've been guilty myself of spending too much time and emotional energy there. There are days when I sign off of Facebook, agitated and frustrated. The power of the internet has indeed been harnessed in many places . . . to effect anger, hatred, and division.

Well written! I agree completely. Sometimes think a cabin about 15 miles off the closest paved road with only about 15 minutes of internet connection per day would be.....Heaven!

Edited by realshelby

Bud. 170 feet, I live on edge of one of our town's highest hills.

:Cool:

Kind of hoping for about 120 foot sea rise.

Would leave a nice beach...

Bud. 170 feet, I live on edge of one of our town's highest hills.

:Cool:

Kind of hoping for about 120 foot sea rise.

Would leave a nice beach...

I hope not! :P

You think its quiet here , the CBR forum has tubble weeds blowing through it this time of year.

Being in Australia, this is our peak riding season.

Edited by Ozzyal

I believe there are more BMW's on the 'road' because the new BMW demographic target is relatively young riders and BMW sales are up in the US. The new demographic tend to be non joiners and you won't see many of them on this forum (yet). Their loss. I'm not sure we'll see many of them at local and regional events unless we seasoned riders go to special lengths to invite them in. I would hope the personal touch by clubs would be attractive. That said, when I bought my 96RT new, I also got a one year subscription to BMW MOA. They also pointed me in the direction of the state club. I did not join the club because club events are usually 6.5 hour ride one way from my residence. However, the MOA pulled me into the bigger group and eventually I stumbled into this forum. If you want new blood, we need to be sharing this quality venue we have here. It IS special.

Edited by Red
I'm not sure we'll see many of them at local and regional events unless we seasoned riders go to special lengths to invite them in. I would hope the personal touch by clubs would be attractive. That said, when I bought my 96RT new, I also got a one year subscription to BMW MOA. They also pointed me in the direction of the state club. I did not join the club because club events are usually 6.5 hour ride one way from my residence.

There is a BMW club here in Houston. I have ridden to 3 of their meetings held at a restaurant. Not one time did anyone so much as nod their head toward me or introduce themselves to an obviously new member. Went to their rally, same thing. Seem oblivious to newer bikes. While the bigger organizations can be what you make of them.....

The point I am making is that you may NEVER, EVER find a forum and group of fellow riders ( notice, no mention of just BMW riders ) that is anything like Mr Rogers neighborhood! I have yet to go to a tech event, weekend gathering, rally that I don't feel welcome.

Thank you ALL for that!

Yes, but, when I met a new group, always made a point to introduce myself, etc.

BUT, understand what you're point is and have seen it too...that's why I pre-emptively act.

Shouldn't be that way, agree.

YMMV

Ride up to Alaska this summer and you'll see more GSA's than you can 'shake a stick at'.

I agree. I live in Anchorage, and have seen a dramatic increase in BMWs the last few years -- mostly GSs. The BMW dealer here has been around for years, but recently moved into a new building that also has much more visibility. They're very busy in the summer, but not so much this time of year.

Sometimes think a cabin about 15 miles off the closest paved road with only about 15 minutes of internet connection per day would be.....Heaven!

Agreed. I have a cabin about 30 miles from the nearest road, and it is -- Heaven! I'm heading out by snowmobile in a few days. Can also get there by riverboat in summer.]

Certainly noticed slower pace since I joined way back. Get it about social media taking a bite out sites like these. When I finally had my 99 RT just right, I was spending my free time riding or attending to my ever more complex life away from motorcycles.

But a new bike has me back here a lot more and for good reason. The folks here really love the sport/pastime and are open and sharing valuable insights. I read all the posts about trouble someone is having with their bike and it amazes every time how the folks with real knowledge jump in and are genuinely interested helping and how it turns out. I've been wrenching and riding on bikes for 50 years and still learn plenty here.

I will say, also limiting my time here is my wife and I have focused on getting to this next chapter of our lives together and I hear you about the cabin thing. Well, it is actually a 4 season place where a few miles out of the last small town heading to our getaway all the bars on the devil devise go to zero and is just fine by me. My goal for 2017 isn't 10K miles on the RT odometer, it is getting a hook into Grandad, the 50+ inch musky that hangs out in the bay off my dock...catch-picture-release

Certainly endorse the forum's forbidding political dialogue, social media has completely run amok with that and know many who've abandoned it or like me simply blocked much of it. As I stated earlier in the thread if you think there aren't a bunch of BMW bikes out there just run up to Alaska next summer; you'll think that the Roundel is the Alberta/BC/Yukon/Alaska all time favorite brand. Perhaps some of the prolific posters have simply moved on or sick of the internet ad nauseam.

What I have noticed is the forum doesn't seem to have as many thought provoking threads where some very sharp minded folks weigh in on a whole range of issues. One of life's goals is not remain stagnant and some of those posts have challenged my thinking and even changed it on a few things.

What I have noticed is the forum doesn't seem to have as many thought provoking threads where some very sharp minded folks weigh in on a whole range of issues. One of life's goals is not remain stagnant and some of those posts have challenged my thinking and even changed it on a few things.

There are plenty of forums that allow "thought provoking" threads. One reason this one is so successful is that they temper that type of thread. While some may miss out on something that may indeed challenge them, many more don't go away mad at what gets written. True or False or in between.

What I have noticed is the forum doesn't seem to have as many thought provoking threads where some very sharp minded folks weigh in on a whole range of issues.

Darn it. I thought this thread was starting to get interesting. :/

OK, so you want a thought provoking food fight

The San Marino Blue 1200 RT is by far the fastest color!

Why? Becasue blue light has the shortest wave length providing less drag!

What I have noticed is the forum doesn't seem to have as many thought provoking threads where some very sharp minded folks weigh in on a whole range of issues.

Just wait until the next Bored of Directors election comes around next Feb 29th.

Ok, doing better. Now we just have to get some witty folks to join in...

BTW, thought provoking is not threatening, it challenges the brain. One great thing is that personal attacks on one's beliefs is pretty rare.

P.S. The Ebony color sucks...

It's obvious to me what has brought on this lull in activity. Practically all the Hexheads have been finally fixed from recalls and owner involvement! :rofl:

Just wait until the next Bored of Directors election comes around next Feb 29th.

I was told the elections would be held on the 30th day of the second month...

I was told the elections would be held on the 30th day of the second month...

That is the day I'm voting for you for Director. :wave:

OK, so you want a thought provoking food fight

The San Marino Blue 1200 RT is by far the fastest color!

Why? Becasue blue light has the shortest wave length providing less drag!

You are absolutely right!

For me it's the number of opportunities - as I discover more and more forums I spend less time on all of them. F800 Riders, GS Giants, MOA, RA, my local club... and there's always the necessary evil that pays the bills.

This is still my favorite for tech questions, though - you can almost always count on getting helpful answers relatively quickly.

I've been watching this discussion with interest. And there are some very salient points being discussed. As the internet grows, peoples' time gets divided up into ever smaller chunks. The issue of member traffic is one that is currently affecting just about every motorcycle forum. Even the big ones like ADVRider. There are even reports that Facebook itself is struggling with frequency of visits and time spent per visit.

These things go in cycles. Remember the release of the liquid-cooled RT. This board was HOT! It eventually slowed again. Then when the rear shock issue came up, the traffic was up again, discussions raged, and the numbers climbed. And that, too, ebbed. So it's not just seasonal, but topical. And some of our favorite topics no longer apply.

I'm on my second '99RT. And I can tell you all about weak headlights, PTTR, TB syncs, homemade manometers, 6000-mile valve adjustments, final drive concerns, M93/94 vs. M97 transmissions, changing your own clutch, draining oil from airboxes, surging, weird Czechoslovakian spark plugs that supposedly cured surging (but more often pitted the piston crowns), pre-loading your shifter to eliminate the clunking, fast-change City Lid hinges, and more. These were all hot topics for years, and there wasn't much else but this board to discuss them on.

As the RT (and other) BMW models progressed, we moved on to fewer topics. PITA headlight bulb changes. Failing fuel-gauge strips. Weak windshield arms. New controls (at last!) but flimsy at best. And while there were still issues, the list grew shorter.

Today, the latest boxers are amazing paragons of technology and reliability. They're not perfect, but the issues we generally discuss are more accessory related. And those aren't urgent like the rideability issues were in the past. So people aren't as pressed. Plus the growth of online videos often provide the answers elsewhere, without the great personal advice of some of our BMWST experts. So we've transitioned from being a help group, to being an advisory group, to being more of a social group that can still answer your questions. This is why our rides and events are as important as ever. START and FART are big. Spring Torrey is lighter, but Fall Torrey is still a great draw with its amazing colors and 10,000 ft passes. North meets South is a great event. The UnRally has come back as central to our social fiber, with the next one at FVR in TN being a MUST for our east coast members, and those from the left half of the U.S. who have the time to make it. When we meet and ride together, the electronic acquaintances that are board members become face-to-face friends. So when you talk to each other on these screens, you now know who you're addressing, have shaken their hand, sat together over a meal, and laughed over a beer. You can actually HEAR their voices because you've actually HEARD their voices.

As caretakers of this board, the Admin Team does more than just make sure that things run smoothly. We constantly look at how we can add value to the time you spend here. We have more forums than in past years, and some forums that didn't go over too well have been eliminated. We have places for the storage of knowledge, for links to the answers you seek (even if those links take you over to YouTube), and we're looking for ways to allow direct photo downloads, although we've been looking into that for close to a year, and it may take the next software upgrade to get it. We'll see.

So yes. The free time we all have is finite. And the things tugging at that time continue to grow. Most people love this place and do spend time here. It's all our responsibility to make sure everyone feels welcome, that they enjoy themselves while here, and that they want to come back. It's what a community does.

As caretakers of this board, the Admin Team do more than just make sure that things run smoothly. We constantly look at how we can add value to the time you spend here. We have more forums than in past years, and some forums that didn't go over too well have been eliminated. We have places for the storage of knowledge, for links to the answers you seek (even if those links take you over to YouTube), and we're looking for ways to allow direct photo downloads, although we've been looking into that for close to a year, and it may take the next software upgrade to get it. We'll see.

One of the things I like about this forum, aside from the topics and people, is the format of the threads. Simple. Easy to find and follow. Some categories come and go, maybe time for a couple to go again. Everything that might catch and interest you is on one page. I follow some other forums where I automatically just hit the "new posts" button. There isn't one of those here ( that I know of...) and I think that is a good thing. You clearly see new posts with the highlighted category. Often I find myself reading about stuff I would have missed with the new post button. Keep it clean and functional!

As for slowing down, I agree that hot topics will inflate visits. I also think there is more to it. My business is motorcycle related and it slowed down starting in August last year. Just like it did 4 years ago. Don't know if the elections are an effect. Picking back up now. I am also seeing more posts on other forums in the past couple weeks. There is more stuff dividing free time. But, I predict stuff like Facebook has a burnout factor that will come to play. This site is a haven from places like that. I think this site will weather any perceived or real change in viewing habits very well.

From the vary beginning the tech side of things has always drawn folks in. But it was the love we had for each other and the way we treated each other, that was why we grew. The love is our core. Always has been.

Yeah but, What's a Wurty?

Not sure but if you spill any on you the sheep won't leave you alone. [/quote

Baaaaaaaaaaaaa d man...

Edited by tallman