IGNORED

Drivetrain Reliability of Wetheads

Mike

Am I imagining this, or does it seem that BMW has put its drivetrain problems behind it with the wetheads? I can't recall seeing any mention of the types of failures that seemed to occur with some frequency in the models of the early 2000's.

I don't think you are imagining it. I think it started before this version, seems the 2010 and up were doing ok. At least compared to earlier generations! It will take time to build back a reputation built on reliability. BMW lost that sometime after the Oilheads were introduced. I am so happy with my Wethead that it will be a tough decision when the replacement comes out. I may have to buy one to develop a windshield. At 26K miles, this BMW has exceeded expectations. I don't think it is the only one doing that!

I was lucky as my '99 RT was near flawless and never an issue with the drive train and my '15 RT is too new to have personal experience on reliability. The new RT has a whole bunch more power running through it so I'm hoping your observation proves to be right.

I think the early 1200s had ring and pinion gears "permanently" lubed, which may have been part of the problem. That was a bad idea in my opinion and I'm glad to see that the wet heads allow the oil to be changed.

so far so good and I have one of the first 14RT's in the country. I talk to the dealer regularly as only 5 miles from home. I've got to know them pretty well. The Service Manager said they have not had a single drive train issue...and I believe him.

I was lucky as my '99 RT was near flawless and never an issue with the drive train and my '15 RT is too new to have personal experience on reliability. The new RT has a whole bunch more power running through it so I'm hoping your observation proves to be right.

With the early Wethead GS's having been on the road around four or five years, I'd imagine some have racked up some impressive mileage. No machine is immune to failure, but it seems like BMW has gotten back on track with respect to reliability.

With the early Wethead GS's having been on the road around four or five years, I'd imagine some have racked up some impressive mileage. No machine is immune to failure, but it seems like BMW has gotten back on track with respect to reliability.

I think you're correct.

But, even with the previous issues, not every bike.

Saw some go through 5 FD's in 150,000 miles and others still original with more miles.

Some bikes had issues.

I have some theories about load, riding styles, etc. but I think 3-4% experienced some failure or another.

Too many, not all.

Only the mothership knows for sure.

I always got the bikes with the latest problem! My 98RT had a bad Hall sensor. My 2004 ate a fuel pump. The 2006 managed to puke a final drive, break all 4 windshield arms, and the electronic shock adjuster never worked correctly. So far (26,000 miles) this 2014 needed a new battery. It was a buyback with 1800 miles when I got it and will be 3 years old next month (original sale). I'm happy with this bike!

I always compare costs of chains/sprockets over 100,000 miles.

Those you have to get.

How often and how much depends.

The BMW, maybe, maybe not.

If yes, how much more or less than those other costs was it?

If less, great.

If more, were there other factors that make it OK?

YMMV

I think you're correct.

But, even with the previous issues, not every bike.

Saw some go through 5 FD's in 150,000 miles and others still original with more miles.

Some bikes had issues.

I have some theories about load, riding styles, etc. but I think 3-4% experienced some failure or another.

Too many, not all.

Only the mothership knows for sure.

And hence my wonder about the added power of the wet head on drive train reliability. I don't load the bike like a pack mule, which is likely the hardest on the drive train, but even as a geezer I still can be pretty rude with cornering speed and WFO post apex. I suspect I am giving the new bike above average side and acceleration loads. Time will tell, but I have faith mine will be in 96-97% reliable group :)

BMW knows how to build a bullet proof final drive. This is not a problem on the K16GT bikes but it is a different design.

Let's hope they assigned the KGT engineers to the wet-head FD and moved the old team to waterpumps. Haha

BMW knows how to build a bullet proof final drive. This is not a problem on the K16GT bikes but it is a different design.

Let's hope they assigned the KGT engineers to the wet-head FD and moved the old team to waterpumps. Haha

Hoping they were put on the KGT motor team :Cool:

From what I've learned a lot of the final drive issues where poor craftsmanship by BMW, the final drives weren't shimmed correctly so it wore the bearing, dealers often replaced the bearing but didn't properly shim the drive so the bearing failed again.

I had an 02R1150RT, the drive wasn’t shimmed correctly I detected a bearing problem before it failed and had it properly shimmed by Tom Cutter, I never did have a failure.

Jay

From what I've learned a lot of the final drive issues where poor craftsmanship by BMW, the final drives weren't shimmed correctly so it wore the bearing, dealers often replaced the bearing but didn't properly shim the drive so the bearing failed again.

I had an 02R1150RT, the drive wasn’t shimmed correctly I detected a bearing problem before it failed and had it properly shimmed by Tom Cutter, I never did have a failure.

Jay

I think quality control was part of the Oilhead final drive issue. Mine went bad, but I found it looking for a vibration ( that was the vibes ). I have the tools to measure the bearing preload. Had I installed it with the original shims, it would have had about .018" preload. Should have, iirc, around .002" preload. I set mine up on the loose side and put many more miles on it.

If the new Wethead final drives can send the front wheel in the air on the RT, and I have to say that seems to happen often, then it must be pretty well designed and built.

Just rolled over 62,000 miles on my 14RT and have never had a drivetrain problem , as a matter of fact I never had a problem with it on my 04RT with 108,000 miles.

Approaching 30k fast on my 2015 RT, if the damned snow would melt already. No issues. But I never had any issues with my 2009 beyond the 5 failed fuel strips, and no issues with my 2004 either.

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy
Just rolled over 62,000 miles on my 14RT and have never had a drivetrain problem , as a matter of fact I never had a problem with it on my 04RT with 108,000 miles.

FWIW, I put 140K miles on a 2007 RT and 108K on a 2011 RT and neither of then had a drivetrain problem either.