IGNORED

Truck tonneau covers

tallman

Looking for info on tonneau covers.

Rolling, folding, hinged (gas struts) lifting, seem to be the options.

Also, locks, ease of use, built into tonneaus cover, or use tailgate itself?

I've heard the rolling and folding allow water ingress (leaks) because they are inside the truck sides so water can infiltrate the lips and leak.

Some have troughs and tube drains. Others don't.

These types can retract into cannisters, be secured with a strap.

Folding ones have sections that flip over or also seem to have a retraction capability.

Some allow access to the front of truck bed w/rear of cover still connected.

Both in the "better" versions are aluminum, possibly covered w/vinyl or other finish.

Then the hinged types.

These go over the side of truck bed so "waterproof", yes or no?

Have to be removed to use full bed higher than the top of truck side.

How easy is that in real world and where to put it then?

I want security, waterproof, mostly use it for gear/loads that would fit in the bed and below the top of the sides, so what to do with the truck bed?

Bed rug/spray in liner, or, could a plastic insert liner (less $$) work with a tonneau cover and save some money?

How about weight on top of a tonneau cover and effect, including reistance to denting from falling stuff (small branches etc) as truck is outside.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma which has a hard plastic bed...hence, no need for a bed liner. Most people go with spray in bed liners for most truck owners I know.

As it goes with Tonneau covers, I went with a Access Limited roll up cover. It was easy to install and it rolls up towards the front of the bed and latches with straps when not in use. There are aluminum rails with velcro that runs the full length of each rail on both sides of the bed that when the soft cover is pulled towards the rear of the bed, each fully velcro'd sides line up with the fully velcro'd rails. There are two or three support bars under the cover to support the cover. The cover snaps into a latch above the tailgate and seals against the top of the tailgate. It does not leak whatsoever around the top of the tailgate or elsewhere on the cover. The only water leakage I initially got was around the bottom of the tailgate. The Access Limited cover, however, comes with an adhesive rubber gasket to seal the tailgate area. I have no water leakage after I installed the included gasket around the bottom of the tailgate.

The support bars under the soft cover helps it maintain its tight fit. I can safely place a 12-pack of my Shiner Bock beer onto the cover while I load groceries...since my hands are always full. The cover can support the weight of a 12 pack easily so I think fallen branches would cause no serious issues...unless it's really sharp. The material is pretty thick.

As it goes with security, you could always go for a pop lock electric lock. I never installed a lock because anyone with a knife can get into your bed...even with a tailgate lock. The only way to be truly secure is to get a hard tonneau cover with a tailgate lock. Anyone can slice open a soft cover.

I got cover from http://www.truckalterations.com/html/access.html

You WILL save big time on covers here.

I hope this helps. By the way, the cover did better my fuel efficiency by about 2 miles per gallon.

Having been around MANY different covers when in the car business, I have a particular one that I prefer.

Vanish

Hard fiberglass looks nice, but you might as well buy an SUV as you no longer have a truck bed. Must be removed to carry tall things. Not a one man job.

Plastic fold up covers look ok, and give much improved access to the bed. But the joints are ugly and you have problems putting a load against the front of the bed. They are in the way, unless you can remove them.

The Access Vanish cover has a frame you install on top of the bed. Clamps on, no drilling. This has a channel for the supports to sit in as well as velcro down the length to fasten the cover down. You do NOT have to lift cover to open tailgate. Very secure. I have owned 3 of them and wouldn't use anything else. Rolls up to the front of the bed and has straps to secure it. You can put a bike against the front of the bed with the cover stowed. Light weight and durable.

"Actually, I'd get a canopy/topper, but you didn't ask about those"

Have a second truck with a Leer topper.

:thumbsup:

Looking for the new truck.

Thanks for the first replies. Looks like both are the vinyl covers which are less secure than a hard cover, correct?

Appreciate the feedback on waterproof, good to know.

Backflip is one I've looked at. Any personal experiences?

Edited by tallman

Marshall,

Looked on-line before posting.

That one has the "drain tube" set up.

So, my questions are about how that works and I guess it is needed meaning it isn't waterproof and relies on the drain tube to keep contents dry?

Did you need to drill a hole for the drain?

Does it do so, completely?

Thanks so much.

Dave McReynolds

I had a Leer shell over my old Tundra, and opted for a folding cover for my F-250. I bought it from the same guy that sold me the Leer shell. It was just too hard for my creaky old bod to crawl around under the shell anymore. The folding cover is much more convenient. If you want to carry something higher than the cover, you just fold the cover back and guy whatever you want to carry down, which would have been impossible if the object had been higher than the Leer shell. We've had record rains this year in Sacramento, and no leaks. There is a drain tube, which I guess works fine, or maybe isn't needed, as there has been no water in the bed.

I would not get a lift-up cover, as I don't think it would be as acessable as the folding cover, although it is supposed to be more waterproof.

Any lock on any cover is just a deterrent for casual snatch and grab. I have misgivings when I put my $1,000 generator under there, but at least it isn't visible.

The advantage of a shell is that you can sleep under there, but since I got the Airstream, I don't need that anymore.

I've been using this folding cover for about two years, and if I had it to do over again, I'd do the same thing.

I have a rubberized pad made by Ford that fits the bed. It is easier on the old knees than a hard bed, and keeps things from sliding around. If your brand of pickup doesn't make a rubberized pad, there are aftermarket sources that do.

Dave,

Is that a Bakflip?

Or another brand?

And,when opening/fully retracted, does it flip over next section, eventually up against the rear window?

If so, any experience driving with it partially or full open?

Thanks.

I have an '08 Ridgeline utilizing an Access roll-up which has been trouble free, completely dry, and functions as new. I'm shocked that the Florida sun hasn't beaten that thing to death yet.

The limitation is exactly what Dave pointed out as a virtue for the panels. Occasionally, I will want to put something in the bed that is taller than the cover. With the roll-top you have to completely roll it up and strap it to prevent wind from unrolling it and have it banging away while underway. In that situation (encountered frequently) a panel would be much easier: flip one panel up, put your gas cans in the bed and drive away. Also, the panels would offer greater security but no one has ever messed with my cover and I live where I live - petty crime everywhere. So, big thumbs up to Access, but carefully consider which product is right for you.

I’m spoiled. I’ve got a Bedlocker on my ’16 Silverado. It’s electric with a remote. Here’s a pic.

ohu9KvUdD6myPqAqEkgN1vjV-Ed9KjXfatozdPO3HE7H-5fF-mzeX66dKM8c57BLanoVcLEMYJM_8w=w600?=.jpg

It does have a drain tube which drains the canister into which it rolls. You’ll get a fair amount of water that sets on the top since it’s flat. It’s got to go somewhere when you retract it. The top doesn’t "leak", but it seeps a little at the front corner and you might notice a wet spot coming down the side. Not enough to puddle, but I thought I’d mention it. It hasn’t been a problem since the bed ribs keeps everything up a little.

Prior, I had an A.R.E hard top on an ’11. It leaked a little at the front corners. It’s the only section of the lid that doesn’t “hang over” since it has to tilt up. It’s all about the foam/rubber strip that seals the top, front edge.

The really nice thing about the ’16 is the locking tailgate. It locks/unlocks with the doors. So, when the bed is closed and you walk away from the truck and lock the doors, the bed is locked as well. The ’11 had a manual tailgate lock.

Either top has the same “security” in my eye. Both could be defeated pretty easily. It’s mostly designed to keep honest people honest.

Dave McReynolds
Dave,

Is that a Bakflip?

Or another brand?

And,when opening/fully retracted, does it flip over next section, eventually up against the rear window?

If so, any experience driving with it partially or full open?

Thanks.

It's an Undercover Flex. Each section flips over the one in front of it, starting with the section closest to the tailgate. Each section independently locks to the bed, and you release the lock by pulling down on a cable attached to that section, which you can do with one hand while you're raising up the section with the other one. You can secure everything down for travel in one of three positions: fully closed, flipping two panels and latching them down with a provided belt, which leaves a stack of three panels covering the bed closest to the cab, or folding all three panels back against the rear window of the cab. When you fold all three panels back, it exposes bars on each side which lock into place to hold the panels upright in travel. I've never felt it was insecure to travel with all three panels folded back against the back window, although I haven't needed to do that very often.

Edited by Dave McReynolds

Mike, the ARE "hard top", was that a topper/shell or a flat fiberglass tonneau cover?

Thanks.

Anyone use a one piece, plastic, hinged cover like the Undercover ?

If so, any issues with this type scratching the paint where it hangs over the edge?

Mike, the ARE "hard top", was that a topper/shell or a flat fiberglass tonneau cover?

Thanks.

Anyone use a one piece, plastic, hinged cover like the Undercover ?

If so, any issues with this type scratching the paint where it hangs over the edge?

The ARE was a flat fiberglass tonneau cover. It hinged like the one in your link. The ARE had what amounts to a gap as it laid on the edge. Plus, it had like a felt material that lined the underside. I never noticed any scratching.

edit:

In addition, it had rubber tipped "support" brackets attached to the bed rail sides that essentially held it above the sides.

Edited by greiffster

Mike,

Thanks.

Did you ever remove it for hauling big stuff, and how

difficult was that to do?

Again, thanks.

Leaning towards a one piece hinged for weather and security reasons.

Mike,

Thanks.

Did you ever remove it for hauling big stuff, and how

difficult was that to do?

Again, thanks.

Leaning towards a one piece hinged for weather and security reasons.

Nope. And that's the big advantage to the rolling type. I had to get a load of mulch for the flower beds last year (when I had the '11) and thought about taking off the A.R.E hard top. Gave that up in about 5 secs. It's big, awkward, and heavy. It's really made to stay on there. Maybe some of the other brands are a bit easier. I went to the office and grabbed one of the other work trucks with an open bed. :thumbsup: This is Tennessee. We got trucks everywhere that you could borrow for the afternoon. Normal rental fee is a 12-pack. :beer:

High rent district?

:wave:

Thanks.

The ARE is fiberglass, I can see the difficulty, even for ayoung, strong, agile individual like you.

For me... :rofl:

Looking at the hardened/ABS platic type, so if I do have to remove, lighter and less prone to scratching.

BUT, the rolling/folding have convenience and are easier toput up, or remove.

:dopeslap:

Thanks,

Not much help on the cover. In 08 when i bought my new truck I just put a soft roll up cover on it. Also put a bed rug in it. 5 Yrs later I traded the truck in on a new truck I removed the tonneau cover and the bed rug and installed them on my new truck. Had that truck for almost 3 Yrs. Once again removed them both before trading and installed on my new truck. I really like the bed rug, there is pretty thick padding under it which makes for no pain when crawling around on it. The tonneau cover was starting to look pretty ragged after 8 yrs. Called the company that made it they had me send some pics. they replaced it for free. Also the bed rug each time i transferred it all I had to do was call the company and order a new velcro kit to attach it. After 8 yrs the rug was pretty dirty, I took it to a local carpet cleaning company, they charged me $25.00 and it looked like new again. Also each truck that it came out of the bed looked like new.

Marty

For the Toyota (5.5 bed), we had a fiberglass flat Leer cover. On and off for tall things, rock, mulch, dirt, etc. is a one person operation. When not placed on properly, can seep a bit of the wet stuff inside but nothing to be concerned about. It is lockable that could be connected to the trucks remote lock system (never hooked up as we do move it on enough to make that an additional step deleted).

For the SuperDuty (6.5), we had another fiberglass Leer top but it's a standard top that is level with the roof line of the truck. This top had sliding windows on the sides and the big back glass. Completely water tight and manually lockable. Can, yes, I said can be removed by one person with a nice strong back and re-installed the same way,....ya just have to find the right balance spot and it's very possible (four clamps with 1/2" nut/bolts hold it downs). We remove it when we want four scoops of rock, dirt, mulch, etc. The benefit of the larger topper is obviously, for long trips you can haul more crap that is not bothered by the weather.

Bedliners, the Toyota had a plastic bed and the SuperDuty, we had sprayed with Line-X (excellent product).

Edited by Living the Dream

Richard,

Thanks.

Yes, have a Leer on my long bed '03 F150 XLT, and I have moved it by getting in and lift with it on my back. Doable, not what I want to do for new truck.

New one is '16 F 150 XLT w/short bed.

You said a "flat" Leer tonneau, assume fiberglass.

Was the "leak" at the front from a problem with weather seal up there, or lack of one, or fitment?

Thanks.

FYI that you can use a Top Cap EZ Lift and it makes the whole big topper thing much more practical....installs out of the way in the ceiling of your garage and you leave the topper on it when you need to use the full bed for hauling a motorcycle or whatever...

Edited by mickeym3

My tonneau cover is made by truxedo. I can't say that it is as watertight on this truck (16 silverado 6'6' bed) as my others. Occasionally it will get a damp spot inside the bed. All of the new ones I have seen seem to overlap the top bed rails a little more than my 8 yr old cover. Would think that would probably help with being watertight.

Richard,

Thanks.

Yes, have a Leer on my long bed '03 F150 XLT, and I have moved it by getting in and lift with it on my back. Doable, not what I want to do for new truck.

New one is '16 F 150 XLT w/short bed.

You said a "flat" Leer tonneau, assume fiberglass.

Was the "leak" at the front from a problem with weather seal up there, or lack of one, or fitment?

Thanks.

Yep, the leak/seepage was from the front due to the weather seal. Over time, the rubber that was mounted on the top had swelled. I think it was a bad design as it was glued to the outside of the front edge which when the rubber swelled allowed water to infiltrate the gap,....seeping in. I likely could have fixed it by throwing a bead of sillycon on it but it wasn't enough to be concerning.

FYI that you can use a Top Cap EZ Lift and it makes the whole big topper thing much more practical....installs out of the way in the ceiling of your garage and you leave the topper on it when you need to use the full bed for hauling a motorcycle or whatever...

Did that, sorta, with my Jeep top. I would manually lift it off, hump it under my deck and use straps to pull it up tight against the bottom of the deck. Open the rear window and an easy pass through.

Marshall,

Looked on-line before posting.

That one has the "drain tube" set up.

So, my questions are about how that works and I guess it is needed meaning it isn't waterproof and relies on the drain tube to keep contents dry?

Did you need to drill a hole for the drain?

Does it do so, completely?

Thanks so much.

Drain tube's are for the cover box. Nothing to do with the bed. Tube's exit through exsiting holes in front of bed. No drilling!

This cover rocks! Strong enough to stand on. Rolls up. Coverage adjustable. Locks. No lifting. No fabric to tear.

I would not even consider those hard fiberglass heavy covers or the flimsy folding or fabric things.

Marshal,

Thanks again.

Claifies the drainage.

The reviews for it have many complaining of water leaking into bed.

We get a lot of rain, so, what is you experience, and, do you think it is related to installation, many complained of how difficult it was etc.

I like the concept, and it has great security raves, :thumbsup:

but I'm not wanting to deal with water, much. :P

:lurk:

Tim,

Remember that all of the rolling types are going to have a channel down the side rails. You can, and probably will, get some water that seeps between the cover and the side rail. It has a "weatherstrip", but you will likely get some water. That water has to go somewhere, the front or back corners. But, it's probably just not enough to worry about unless you're a hauling around 50lbs sacks of rice. :/

Logic says the one piece fiberglass covers have the potential to leak less. You really only have the one seal at the front edge and corners. The roll type have seals between the front and both side rails. Plus, the potential for water as described above. But you can roll it open in five seconds. And in my case, I don't even have to get out of the truck.

Dennis Andress

extang_solid_fold_2_0_tonneau_cover_related.jpg

We bought an Extang Solid Fold 2.0. No leaks (in the PNW yet). No struts, brackets, or locks. (Your make/model truck may require brackets)

I haven't had a need to take it off yet, but I think that would take about 5 minutes. It's awkward, but I can carry it by myself. The cover can be folded and strapped down for most tall loads.

To open this cover you have to open the tailgate and then reach in for two spring loaded catches. They can be difficult to use. (I'm fine with them, Laney hasn't got it down yet) If you have a locking tailgate this secures the box.

Rear latch

extang-solid-fold-2-0-tonneau-cover-speedklamp-in-use.jpg.

Front latch

extang_solid_fold_2_0_tonneau_cover_safty_front_klamp.jpg

The cover sits on top of the box rather than in it. That seems to be the best way to keep water out.

Our truck has a spray in liner. Kind of nice, kind of like sandpaper. Still better then a drop in liner. I usually throw a big piece of cardboard down if I need to protect my cargo. A rubber mat is probably the way to go. (A horse stall mat is almost the right size and 1/3 the cost of an OEM mat.)

I've had 3 Head Up Ass (HUA) events where I drive off with the tailgate open. I need to train myself to open the cover at least one fold when I open the tailgate, so I can see the tailgate in my mirror.

Thank you, Dennis.

Friend drove me out looking briefly today, if possible one more tomorrow, then decision time.

I've had a soft vinyl tonneau on my '74 Chevy LUV ages ago, and three different hard tonneaus since '98. My requirements included hauling a gooseneck hitch trailer, so a one-piece solid cover was out of the question.

I had a Roll Top Cover (I think it was called), which is a retractable type, on my '99 F-250 SD. It was easy to use, handy, secure, but the box into which the cover retracted used up a lot of space at the front of the bed and it couldn't be temporarily removed. Eventually, the mechanism jammed from dirt intrusion.

I replaced that cover with a Fold-A-Cover 4-panel folding cover. This was hard, aluminum, solid, and had the advantage that you could open the very front panel to access stuff at the front of the bed, and was also fairly easily removed for hauling large loads. It had the disadvange of requiring a bunch of separate pieces of hardware to be attached for mounting, and that hardware stuck out and poked people and things when the tonneau was folded or removed. Another advantage over some covers is that only exterior surfaces were exposed when the cover was folded. The Fold-A-Cover has externally accessible key locks and lift handles, so either end can be opened without opening anything else.

For my '15 F-150, I went with a Truck Gear by Line-X hard folding cover. This is a Bakflip cover with a couple of upgrades, one of which is better straps for securing the cover in the folded position. It hasn't leaked at all in fairly hard rain, and it's secure (as long as your tailgate locks). Unlike the Fold-A-Cover, there are no key locks. To open it, you have to open the tailgate and then reach underneath and pull a cable to release the latches. You also have to ensure you close the tailgate before closing the last panel of the cover. This uses rubber seals at the hinges, and all the folds go the same direction, which means inside surfaces are on top when it's folded. It can be folded in multiple positions, or easily removed. And the mounting hardware is just a pair of continuous rails unlikely to poke things.

As to bedliners, I greatly prefer spray-on liners. They keep things from sliding around, whereas drop-in liners encourage things to slide. Sometimes you want one, sometimes the other, but mostly I prefer not sliding. And they're quite durable. I had a Rhino Lining on the '99, and I went with Line-X on the '15, mostly due to installer proximity.

Thanks, Bill, and all.

Have gone with the Undercover Elite, hard cover.

It is removable, for rare whens, only about 50 pounds for my truck, locks with a key, keys to the truck key, no drain lines or intrusive parts.

I have a lot of trees, lot of small twigs/leaves/acorns, berries, small branches, flowers, that fall over the seasons.

These things cause problems for many of the types of covers out there, dents, messing up the rolling types w/cannisters, punctures on vinyl, etc.

Also have cats at neighbors w/outside feed, they climb on vehicles and would scratch/tear at the soft covers and hard folding covers w/vinyl over the hard material.

The folding type that block rear window when up, not for me.

The folding type that can be secured down, are attractive, but more susceptible to dents from my trees and many require drain systems.

So, again, thanks.

Like seats, everyone has different needs and I appreciate y'all taking time to provide feedback.

Wow, just priced that thing,...that would have been a patience moment for me.

I shopped for two years to find the cover for our superduty, ended up paying $200 for a mint condition Leer. Only took four months to find the hard Leer tonneau for the Tacoma,...again, $200. I'm on craisglist daily ;)

Yes, found a Leer topper shell for the '04, color matched, on Craiglist, took a year.

But, don't have months right now.

I've had my share of "good deals" and given quite a few also.

Got this installed, with tailgate seal, and a bedliner, for less the the Elite alone, best internet price, to my house (free shipping), so, I got a good deal.

Best wishes.

The folding type that block rear window when up, not for me.

Too late for you, since you chose otherwise, but in case anybody else is looking, the Bakflip/Line-x models that do this can also be latched down with only the front panel closed, which is the position I use when hauling a gooseneck trailer. And can be removed entirely by undoing two knobs. So you have a lot of options.

Bill,

Looked at that one too.

One of my major issues is tree debris.

Small twigs, leafs, berries, stems, acorns, small branches,

and bird droppings from tree branches.

Went out this morning, quick blast with hose,

and voila, like new.

No leaks.

With any of the folding/rolling covers I would be constantly brushing/blowing, or hose blasting, then folding up wet, or retracting wet.

I know, like riding in the rain, right?

They are designed for weather exposure, but, I decide that the low maintenance/cleaning approach would be better, for me,

in the long run.

There are a lot of cool options.

I loved the look, cost, etc of the Peragon . One of the easiest, by far, to remove, solid as any folding, etc.

Then, as I was ordering, it occurred to me that my stuff would have to be lower than the distance needed to push down on them.

In essence lose space, and, still have my tree debris issues.

I looked at virtually every option, and slowly eliminated types, then models, etc.

I greatly appreciate the feedback, because, real world experience kept several types in contention.

Again, like saddles, :P everyone has a different need.

I'm pleased with the appearance, operation, and ease of cleaning, so far...one son in law came by yesterday and immediately noticed, commented, and being an engineer, examined it in detail'

Got :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Best wishes.

Edited by tallman

Yeah, I remember looking at the Peragon, too. The problem is you can't open it if there's tall stuff in the front of the bed.

I'm not sure I understand how hosing off a solid cover is different from hosing off a folding cover. Well, OK, maybe I do. You can open the solid cover and the water runs off. With the folding/roll-up solid covers like mine, if you open more than the rearmost panel, the dry underside of some panels will come in contact with the wet topside of some other panels, which may bring moisture into the bed area. The fold-a-cover I had previously avoids this by folding in a Z-fold rather than rolling up.

But again, your requirements clearly weren't the same as mine, which included being able to tow a gooseneck trailer or haul taller-than-bed-top stuff without leaving the tonneau cover at home (and without having to plan ahead to do so). A solid cover would never work for me.

With any of the folding/rolling covers I would be constantly brushing/blowing, or hose blasting, then folding up wet, or retracting wet.

Ah, so we're washing our trucks more than once a year, now?? :dontknow::grin:

Not the truck, just the cover.

;)

With 2 trucks, one black and one white, a topper shell and a tonneau cover, I have plenty of opportunity...

:Cool: