IGNORED

CD Player Extrication

Medic Mike

Evening All:

First, I did try to search for this topic both here, the MOA site, Google, Bing and even YouTube. I want to remove my CD player from 2006 R1200RT. I do not EVERE use it, and I rarely use the radio, so losing that function will not bother me either. Does anyone have a clue how to get that thing out? The schematics I am seeing (granted I only can see Radio/CD player one) it looks fairly simple to remove the CD player.

I miss my glove box that I had in my 04 RT-P (auxiliary battery locale) and want to remove the CD player to add some space for tools and other items. Since I am hoping to do this myself, and I am a moron, Videos and or step by step directions are needed.

Thanks everyone

Mike

Morning Mike

I'm on my way out the door at the moment but there is more to removing that radio than just disconnecting the wires & yanking it out.

The radio also connects to the CAN (Controller Area Network) so once the radio is removed your will have an exposed CAN termination.

That exposed CAN termination then needs an "audio system CAN terminating resistor"-- problem is, I can't seem to find that "audio system CAN terminating resistor" in my BMW parts book.

You really need (or should have anyhow) that resistor to prevent RFI entering the CAN system.

I believe (pretty sure anyhow) that it is a 120 ohm resistor so you c-o-u-l-d make your own (if you can find suitable terminals & have enough electrical back ground to do so)

So before we go forward with trying to give you a step by step for radio removal are you sure that you still want to go forward with the removal?

Maybe talk to your dealer to see if they have, or can find you, an audio system CAN terminating resistor.

DR:

This is why I came here to ask. I am not the most mechanical person, but when a schematic seems simple and straight forward, caution should be used. Let me ask you this then, I really just want to remove the CD player. Again, from the schematic(s) the CD player seems to be its own entity, thus removing it should be a "simpler" process. Getting to brass tacks, if it is going to be a PIA to remove, I am just going to leave it be. I've made it a year with it this way, what's another four to five?

Thanks for the info DR.

Mike

DR:

This is why I came here to ask. I am not the most mechanical person, but when a schematic seems simple and straight forward, caution should be used. Let me ask you this then, I really just want to remove the CD player. Again, from the schematic(s) the CD player seems to be its own entity, thus removing it should be a "simpler" process. Getting to brass tacks, if it is going to be a PIA to remove, I am just going to leave it be. I've made it a year with it this way, what's another four to five?

Morning Mike

Truth is I just don't know as I haven't ever permanently removed the early 1200RT radio or removed/deactivated part of the radio system. I have removed a number of 1100/1150 factory radios but those are very simple removals as they don't have the CAN buss interface.

What you call the CD player is the actual radio as well as CD player. The panel on the left side is just that, a remote control panel (that is not the actual radio)

So if you remove the CD part from the glove box the radio will not work.

I think (but don't know for sure) that the CAN termination resistor is included in the L/H control panel so leaving that in place might also leave the CAN properly terminated. I'm just not sure what if any problems will occur if you only remove the CD part but leave the control panel & wire harness hooked up.

I guess IF I were (personally) going to do what you want to do without any input from someone that has done it before then I would remove the R/H side Tupperware & simply unplug the CD/radio part (2 plugs) then ride the bike for a while to see what if anything shows up as far as error codes go with a GS-911. Or lacking a GS-911 then just see if everything still functions correctly with no obnoxious dash warning lights without the CD/radio part hooked up.

If all seems OK then remove the radio box & remove the CD/radio unit.

Sorry but I just haven't done this before (or know of anybody that has) so can't give you anything firm. About all I can tell you is that the CAN buss hooks to that radio so if the CAN harness is disconnected from the radio controls you should then add a CAN termination resistor.

Morning DR (Well morning for me):

I think I am just going to wait and talk to the dealership to see how inane this whole idea is. I pondered doing exactly what you suggested, but knowing me I would unplug the wrong thing and the bike will catch fire.

I do not have a GS-911 yet, mainly because I do not trust myself enough to do much wrenching on it. Slowly working up the knowledge base....and courage to start trying.

As always, thank you for expertise and willingness to share it.

Mike

FWIW, when and if you sell/trade, having a working audio device is worth more than a glove box.

Regardless of whether you use it, it is OEM.

If you need more room, get a tank bag, can transfer to a new bike later, or resell.

Unless it is a very simple reinstall, and has no consequences now, of course.

When I bought a used 2006 RT a number of years ago, I wasn't interested in the radio, but did want a glove box. Unplugging the radio below and behind the steering head was easy, and I simply wrapped the exposed connector with plastic. Don't recall any significant electrical steps, but it wasn't complicated. Have had no issues since. Added a flat floor to the radio box to make it flat, but no other issues.

Having a CD player you don't want is just about as bad as having a CD player with a CD stuck in it. Ray Charles has been in mine in my 05 RT for a few years now and no one knows how to get it out.

If there are any ideas out there for removal, I would love to hear them.

Medic Mike, contact me concerning: your CD/radio removal project. I did exactly the same thing on my 2006 R1200RT. I still have the parts.

Sincerely,

Dave Long

wavid@comcast.net

• 6 years later...
On 2/9/2017 at 9:00 AM, 1NOTRED said:

When I bought a used 2006 RT a number of years ago, I wasn't interested in the radio, but did want a glove box. Unplugging the radio below and behind the steering head was easy, and I simply wrapped the exposed connector with plastic. Don't recall any significant electrical steps, but it wasn't complicated. Have had no issues since. Added a flat floor to the radio box to make it flat, but no other issues.

New to me 06 r1200rt. Bike doesn’t have a cd/radio and I was surprised when I looked in glove box and saw it had no floor! I have been searching to see what part I needed to buy to make this box useful. 
any advice on adding that floor will be much appreciated. What material did you use? Did you attach it some way? 
thanks I’m advance

Kent

10 hours ago, KHightower said:

New to me 06 r1200rt. Bike doesn’t have a cd/radio and I was surprised when I looked in glove box and saw it had no floor! I have been searching to see what part I needed to buy to make this box useful. 
any advice on adding that floor will be much appreciated. What material did you use? Did you attach it some way? 
thanks I’m advance

Kent

My '05 RT the righthand side compartment next to the steering head had a drop-in box which I assumed was OEM.

From https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0388-USA-08-2005-K26-BMW-R_1200_RT_05_0368,0388_&diagId=46_0905

image.png.73adbbf5265653a9cac2d0308ec082d8.png

I think your bike originally had part 9 plus part 1 for a complete box. 

My '06 came with the radio prep package (speakers, antenna, wiring and a cooling fan in the compartment) which I've removed to reduce weight and gain a little more storage.  I thought I remembered seeing an alternate to part 1 for storage, without wiring holes, but I'm not finding it now. I think part 10 is just for the police bikes, and does not look like it would be sealed .