BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#980374 - 02/17/17 01:21 PM Re: '99 RT still cutting out [Re: avu3]
TheOtherLee Offline

Loc: Wilsonville, Oregon, USA
Scott -

Darn! Thought I had it.

You said: What is that separate black wire you did there? An auxiliary ground? Going to the blue wire?

That's a ground wire going directly to the battery. It came that way from the manufacturer. Don't know how it connects in the afxied harness.

#980394 - 02/17/17 08:07 PM Re: '99 RT still cutting out [Re: avu3]
Michaelr11 Offline

Loc: Trinity, NC
Originally Posted By: avu3

Any opinion between the Enduralast and Bosch HES sensors? $30 to $40 difference.

Scott

IMHO the best choice would be to pull your HES out and send it out to GSAddict to be rewired.

#980396 - 02/17/17 08:22 PM Re: '99 RT still cutting out [Re: avu3]
avu3 Offline

Loc: Cordelia, CA
I plan to send him mine to replace the wires and keep it as a spare.

#981037 - 02/25/17 10:16 PM Re: '99 RT still cutting out [Re: avu3]
avu3 Offline

I read up on the work and its something I'm perfectly capable of, so I ordered the oven control wire from McMaster-Carr and I'll re-write my HES myself.

I found some old threads on Pelican (2006/2007) where guys were describing the same problems I'm having. They changed coil, TPS, Throttle Position, O2, Fuel filter/lines - none of it seemed to solve the problem. Like mine, it initially ran better but then the problem returned. Neither of the OPs did injectors or the HES. Those threads are what made me move the HES ahead of doing the coil/wires like I initially planned. I'm still going to change the fuel filter and swap the in tank parts just due to age/mileage.

I'll update with HES wire condition when I get into it (its been too wet here to work on stuff).

#984115 - 04/05/17 08:20 PM Re: '99 RT still cutting out [Re: avu3]
avu3 Offline

Weather and life have kept me slow-going, but I finally managed to rebuild the fuel system. The fuel filter dates to 2008, so at least it was changed and wasn't original. The hoses showed no signs of splits and looked to be in good shape, but I replaced them anyway.

I reassembled everything and no leaks, and it works - so that seems to have gone ok.

I was fiddling with the throttle cables and noticed the left one is hyper sensitive. If I just bump it or deflect it a little the rpms change a lot. Not even lifting it up, just deflecting it 1/4 of an inch say 6" up the cable.

The right side, I can grab it, push it around and it really makes no impact unless I intentionally un-seat it. Then the bike dies.

Is that left side normal?

#984131 - 04/06/17 02:39 AM Re: '99 RT still cutting out [Re: avu3]
Jim Moore Offline

Loc: Jax, FL
Sounds like that side is overtightened. Maybe holding the butterfly open a little bit.

#984140 - 04/06/17 07:17 AM Re: '99 RT still cutting out [Re: avu3]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Loc: Ohio
Weather and life have kept me slow-going, but I finally managed to rebuild the fuel system. The fuel filter dates to 2008, so at least it was changed and wasn't original. The hoses showed no signs of splits and looked to be in good shape, but I replaced them anyway.

I reassembled everything and no leaks, and it works - so that seems to have gone ok.

I was fiddling with the throttle cables and noticed the left one is hyper sensitive. If I just bump it or deflect it a little the rpms change a lot. Not even lifting it up, just deflecting it 1/4 of an inch say 6" up the cable.

The right side, I can grab it, push it around and it really makes no impact unless I intentionally un-seat it. Then the bike dies.

Is that left side normal?

Morning avu3

Depending of the severity it is normal.

Remember that your L/H side TB has the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) mounted on it & the R/H side TB doesn't have a TPS sensor.

SO, when you lightly open the L/H side you get both more fuel to both sides & more air to the L/H side therefore a quick gain in engine RPM's.

On the R/H side you ONLY get more air when you open that side throttle plate so more air but no more fuel means no gain in RPM's or engine power.

If it's real touchy & just takes a little cable bump on the L/H side outer casing then you might have a too-tight cable.

#984164 - 04/06/17 10:36 AM Re: '99 RT still cutting out [Re: avu3]
avu3 Offline

Thanks guys. I considered the TPS being there, but I think the difference is too pronounced. I'm going to review the adjustments in the manual.

I've got to decide if I want to put it all back together and get some rides in to see if the fuel system made a difference, or if I should just go ahead and re-wire the ignition sensor.

Scott

#984168 - 04/06/17 10:56 AM Re: '99 RT still cutting out [Re: avu3]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Loc: Ohio
Thanks guys. I considered the TPS being there, but I think the difference is too pronounced. I'm going to review the adjustments in the manual.

I've got to decide if I want to put it all back together and get some rides in to see if the fuel system made a difference, or if I should just go ahead and re-wire the ignition sensor.

Scott

Afternoon Scott

Ultimately you will probably want to rewire the HES but a failing or intermittent HES will not cause JUST one cylinder to drop out.

On the BMW 1100 both side spark plugs spark at the very same time on every piston up so if you lose one side due to HES issues you lose both sides.

Have you looked closely on the R/H side to make sure that the R/H side TB cam isn't contacting the spark plug wire on that side (usually happens close to idle position)

#984174 - 04/06/17 12:20 PM Re: '99 RT still cutting out [Re: avu3]
AndyS Offline

Loc: Somerset, Great Britain.
Are you sure it is ignition and not some moisture in your fuel.
Are you sure it is just one side cutting out or have you got some stumbling misfire that could actually be on both sides of the bike?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >