IGNORED

Keyless Ride - key fob battery replacement

hmfriedman

Hello all -

I feel stupid but can't seem to dissemble the key fob in order to replace the battery.

Any tips??

Thanks,

Henry

Not exactly a detailed explanation but at the 1:10 mark he tells you how to get to the battery.

Pat

That video gave me just what I needed: the courage to pry the battery cover off with much more force than I would have thought necessary.

Thanks.

Glad it helped! :thumbsup: I would have liked to see him actually do it, but he seemed pretty knowledgable on the subject. smiley-angelic001.gif:grin:

Pat

• 8 months later...

Apologies for reviving an old thread. I spent a few minutes today looking into how to replace the battery in the key fob. I thought it might be useful to confirm for others that it is indeed done in the manner indicated at about 1:10 in the video linked above. It takes a little effort to pop the cover off of the battery and the first time I worried about destroying something. However, it comes off and exposes the battery.

• 3 months later...

better than my recent experience, LOST the fob in a off ramp. must of slipped out of my pocket while I shifted position. the key light came on soon after, but i was mid route to work and thought it might be the battery. Sadly 142 dollars later and 5 days of waiting and using the plastic key i have a new FOB. I tried to retrace my steps, but you can't walk on the Highways, and the dark and rain didn't help AT ALL. Worst part, less and 1800 miles on the bike. :mad: now have the FOB in my breast pocket of my Areostitch.

I HATE keyless, but it was the only option at the time. Stow that bad boy securely boys!!!!. :dopeslap:

I ordered a spare before I had 1 mile on the bike. I then found the video on how to program it to the bike and now I just need to get a few spare batteries and I'll stop being worried about that aspect of riding.

I never worried about the loosing the fob when I had a keyless setup for my Venza - the bike seems different.

• 2 weeks later...
better than my recent experience, LOST the fob in a off ramp. must of slipped out of my pocket while I shifted position. the key light came on soon after, but i was mid route to work and thought it might be the battery. Sadly 142 dollars later and 5 days of waiting and using the plastic key i have a new FOB. I tried to retrace my steps, but you can't walk on the Highways, and the dark and rain didn't help AT ALL. Worst part, less and 1800 miles on the bike. :mad: now have the FOB in my breast pocket of my Areostitch.

I HATE keyless, but it was the only option at the time. Stow that bad boy securely boys!!!!. :dopeslap:

Another confirmation of how much I dislike the keyless system. I just don't see any benefit of the keyless on a bike and the downsides outweigh the upside by a wide margin for me.

I'll step off the soap box now but the fact that I read everything about how to make these bikes work when the FOB won't or is lost always reminds me of how much I dislike keyless. If we need to have the FOB and we need to press the same area we need to insert a key what did we really save? The partial twist of the wrist?

nh_handyman

I think I'm on that 'pretty useless' bandwagon with the keyless too. If you don't have the central locking (most don't?) then I need to have they key in hand most of the time to unlock this and that.

The Venza I had, I loved it - it made sense. Put the key in my pocket and be done with it. Not with this, it needs to be out to unlock.

In previous bikes I needed two keyrings since I didn't want the entire lot dangling from the lock while riding. Now I keep everything in my pocket.

If you don't need to set the alarm, you can just walk to and from the bike without fumbling with the keys - great for running errands around town.

Keyless allows central locking for the topbox and panniers. Very convenient.

Keyless includes gas cap. I LOVE that.

Besides, I don't need reasons to want new technology - I've got to have it because it's there ;)

I am with Nim on keyless, I think it is great. I don't have panniers or top box so central locking is not an issue. But being able to lock/unlock the steering, turn the ignition on/off, and open the gas cap without taking the key out of your pocket is very handy. The only thing I need to do with the physical key is insert and remove the GPS. At home I never remove it, on the road it happens once a day or, if I am not moving every day, once a trip.

One question: Where is the antenna? Sometimes when I am standing next to the bike, it seems to be slow or fail to recognize that the key fob is near. When I am sitting on the bike, it never hesitates.