IGNORED

Brake pads ?

joeb

Hi all. My 1150rt needs new binders. I've been using the EBC mineral pads and have been happy. I can get the Carbone Lorraine sintered for just about the same price. Any thoughts ? Is there an advantage to sintered vs. Mineral for street riding ? Thanks.

Hi all. My 1150rt needs new binders. I've been using the EBC mineral pads and have been happy. I can get the Carbone Lorraine sintered for just about the same price. Any thoughts ? Is there an advantage to sintered vs. Mineral for street riding ? Thanks.

Afternoon Joeb

Your 03 1150RT came with sintered front & rear so the calipers have the correct piston material to handle the sintered pads.

As far as an advantage with the sintered pads?-- For front there definitely is as they have better heat handling so repetitive stops from 80 mph you get less fading & good progressive stopping.

On the rear, that can be a personal decision. Personally I used to use the 1150R organic rear pads on the 1150RT rear as that takes a lot of the aggressiveness out of the rear brake apply. I rode very hard at high speeds & never taxed the rear pads to the fading point unless I really abused them.

If you are happy with your rear brake function now then maybe stay with the organics back there.

The metallic's usually cause more nasty looking brake dust so the wheels will probably look dirtier after use.

Thanks . I do ride rather aggressively, but I am fairly light on the rear brake. Since the bike was designed for the sintered, I think I'll try them. Extra black brake dust may be the motivation I need to hose the old girl down now and again. ( then I'll send her out to wash my bike )

The metallic's usually cause more nasty looking brake dust so the wheels will probably look dirtier after use.

+1. I couldn't keep the brake dust off that rear wheel with those metallic pads. It always looked awful.

Morning. Thanks for the input. Just ordered the Carbone Lorraine pads from BMW Boneyard. Curious to see the difference between the organic and metallic pads. When I first bought the bike , having come from a few 100 thousand miles of heavy touring bikes , the braking power of the RT was the one thing that took a while to get used to. For the first week I almost launched myself thru the windscreen multiple times. Wondering if I am going to get reacquainted with the windscreen again ? Will post back and let know if I discern any appreciable differences.

Update. Just installed my Carbone Lorraine pads . First of all, Beemerboneyard.com, great service. Always fast shipping. Pads fit perfectly. A few miles for a test drive revealed a very smooth linear grip. No uneven or unexpected grabbing. Was surprised that they were actually quieter than the EBC organics. The amount of brake dust still remains to be seen ,but so far so good.