IGNORED

Brit planning to ride from Houston to Anchorage.... advice please.

Hi, I am from the UK (small farm near Warrington) and ride a 2001 R1150 RT. I am planning a ride from Houston to Anchorage next year (2017) and would appreciate some local knowledge/advice.

I plan to buy a bike in Houston (budget $5000) ride to Anchorage, then sell it (or maybe ride back). I have done a quick search for BMW RT's in Houston and found very slim pickings! Is my budget unrealistic for an 1150 RT? Maybe another bike would suit - I see LOADS of "cruiser" types - Harley lookalikes. I have never even sat on a "cruiser" so unsure if they would be suitable.

So first question is "where to search for a suitable bike?"... I will buy it this Autumn (2016)as I shall be in Texas for a few weeks in October.

Next... are there any legal issues with a Brit buying and insuring a US motorbike?

Next.... can I get breakdown cover for the whole trip and if so, which company is recommended?

I appreciate this is a bit vague at present but I thought I would get a few of the practical issues sorted before I delve into route planning etc...

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Regards

john

Edited by farmerboy

HI John....there are 4 BMW dealers now in Houston as well as a local BMW club. Here is the website to the club. We have regular ride outs in and around the Houston country side. There is a once a month meeting with usually 20+ folks in attendance, some who have made the Alaska jaunt before. You would certainly be welcome to drop in on our meetings which are largely social. There is a classified section and occasionally bikes are sold there. I sold my 1150RT that way.

http://bmwclubofhouston.com/

The dealers in Houston are:

http://bmw.gulfcoastmotorcycle.com/

http://www.tmpsw.com/

http://www.wildwestmotoplex.com/

http://www.bmwmotorcyclesofthewoodlands.com/

There are of course other BMW clubs along the way and many more in the state of Texas.

As it gets closer keep this board posted and I'm sure people will offer you guidance.

I don't know if you can buy, license, and insure a bike in the USA as a non-resident, but would bet you probably can. I suspect the dealers get that question from time to time and could guide you.

Best,

Edited by Skywagon

Many thanks Skywagon... I will be in Houston most of October so I shall try and get to the meeting. It would be great to have a chat with someone who has done the trip already.

Just admiring your avatar.. I used to fly Hercs (C130) in the RAF!

Hello farmerboy,

I live in Anchorage and have driven the Alaska Highway many times -- but not on a bike yet. I'm thinking I'll ride my RT up to Anchorage in 2017 also. (It's in Albuquerque, NM now.)

Let me know if I can help with route or Alaska questions. I will have some recommendations for you along the route. I may also be able to help with lodging in AK, if needed.

Ken

Hi John....cool keep us posted and glad to have you pop in. October is one of the best riding months in Texas and the west coast weather wise. There are many bike events that time of year. One about 3 hours out of Houston you might like is the Harvest Classic at a famous little hole in the wall town here called Luckenbach. Fun event. Here is a link.

http://www.harvestclassic.org/

Hi Ken, thankyou very much for the help and advice... I shall certainly keep in touch and no doubt have many questions when I start to plan properly!

Hi John....cool keep us posted and glad to have you pop in. October is one of the best riding months in Texas and the west coast weather wise. There are many bike events that time of year. One about 3 hours out of Houston you might like is the Harvest Classic at a famous little hole in the wall town here called Luckenbach. Fun event. Here is a link.

http://www.harvestclassic.org/

Fabulous! All being well, I shall be there!!! Just a bit of a shame the pound has fallen through the floor just as I am about to spend lots of dollars!

I am still looking for an RT in Texas but they seem a bit thin on the ground. Lots of Harley Davidson "lookalikes" at very competitive prices but I will have a good chance to find one in October.... should be in Texas for a month or so (visiting my son).

I have an old friend from my RAF days who will be joining me in Truckee... Lake Tahoe (in fact it was his idea)- he rides a BMW as well.

Just as a matter of interest has anyone ridden a Yamaha 950 and can assess its suitability if I cannot get an RT? I think you guys call it a V star tourer? Just a thought!

Regards and thanks again... from a newly "independent" Brit! Glad we still have our "special relationship" as I love the US!

Edited by farmerboy

Nice! That gives me more confidence that they are available! I have not come across "Craig List" so thanks for the link - it looks like a good source of adverts. :)

• 6 months later...

Update... so far so good :)

Although I did not make it to Houston in 2016 the 2017 trip is now confirmed as my riding buddy is just about to retire!

I shall be joining him in Truckee (near Lake Tahoe) at the end of July and riding on to Anchorage.

My new, (to me) bike in the UK is a R1200RT and I love it - so I shall be looking for something similar to buy in Houston at the beginning of July - the pound has suffered a bit of late so I think my budget needs to be about $8000. Hope I can get something decent for that! (failing that I may look at an F800GT or a Honda ST 1300). Bike will be sold on my return.

I think it will be wiser to buy from a reputable dealer in the Houston area rather than risk a private sale - any recommendations?

Probably at least a 10,000 mile round trip - I guess it is sensible to get bike specific mechanical breakdown insurance? If so any recommendations?

Looking forward to seeing as much of the USA as I can - still pondering route options and daily mileages so would love to hear from anyone who has done something similar. I have a couple of months.

Anyway, time to throw another log on the fire..... from a cold north of England......

Thanks in advance

John

Hi Farmerboy, just wanted to say hello and wish you a great trip to Ak.

Please note my avatar. Ex RAAF.

Have a wonderful trip to Ak.

Glad to see you are on track for your trip later this year - should be quite the memorable ride.

I think it will be wiser to buy from a reputable dealer in the Houston area rather than risk a private sale - any recommendations?

With a private sale you will not be paying a dealer premium and you have a fair chance of learning about the history of the bike. Knowing where the bike has been will increase confidence as you prepare for the trip with hopefully minimal servicing. There should be plenty of capable bikes from which to choose as your date draws nearer. Sources could be here, Craigslist, or Advrider.

More importantly, like Marty, I wish you great success for this trip. I cannot match Marty's RAAF Avatar, but I did win the USAF-RAF Chili Cookoff in 1988. It was kind of a big deal, that is if you happened to be stationed at RAF Mildenhall, and you happened to like chili. OK, not such a big deal, but I did win a mug.

2017011614375428-IMG_0519-S.jpg

Thanks to all for replies and pm's - Marty - love the bi-plane, Jake - never got to Mildenhall but I did have a USAF exchange instructor on the Hawk at RAF Valley - cool guy! Ghost60 - just did a search to include San Antonio and Dallas and results were much better... maybe a private sale will be better.

Any thoughts on breakdown insurance? We can get specific bike cover which either repairs the bike or transports it to a garage to be fixed - anything similar in the US - my searches have been unsuccessful.

There are may two things you're asking about - roadside assistance, which in the US means they will come and tow you to a service facility (or do simple things like deliver fuel or jump start a dead battery), and extended warranties which will cover repair costs.

Roadside assistance is available for anything, but extended warranties are generally only available for newer vehicles (there may also be mileage restrictions).

I can't afford anything new enough for an extended warranty, so I'll leave that for others.

For roadside assistance, the most common is AAA (said "triple A") - coverage will vary a bit depending on which state you "join" in, but motorcycles are covered on their "Plus" plans, which are one level up from basic.

https://www.oregon.aaa.com/join-aaa-old/

There is also a club called Good Sam that I think of as mostly being RV (caravan) folk, but they offer roadside for motorcycle as well - also need to go up a step from their basic, and I have seen good reviews of it here and on Adventure Rider.

https://www.goodsamroadside.com/

And then there is the AMA, which is a motorcycle association (though their roadside also covers cars and such).

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/For-Members/AMA-Roadside-Assistance

Be sure to look at limitations like mileage per tow and whether or not you get to pick the destination (nearest service facility vs nearest dealer vs any facility of your choice w/in mileage, etc) to see what suits your fancy.

Hi, John -

Please don't neglect the BMWMOA package for $55 + $19. This gets you the "Anonymous Book" (volunteers throughout NA) plus "Basic" roadside assistance. For the "Platinum" package (tire replacement) you may have to call them to see if you're eligible. Oh - and you get a spiffy magazine too! All this for any brand motorcycle you own. Read more about it HERE.

Best wishes for a great trip.

Edited by TheOtherLee
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I now have dates for the trip and will be arriving in Houston on the 30th June - it will take about a week to find a bike to buy and then I shall ride up to Truckee (nr Lake Tahoe), meet my pal and ride north......

Still confused about a few bits of USA, bike related, admin....

I have found a company that will provide bike insurance for non residents (Fernet) and they also include breakdown cover (for a modest sum!) My son (who lives in Houston) seems to think it will be simpler for him to buy the bike (with my money!)and that he can insure it for any rider...is this advisable?

I can get specific "biker tourist" medical insurance reasonably cheaply so no problems there.

Do I pay sales tax on new and used bikes in Texas? Probably cannot afford a new one but the advertised prices for F800's seem cheap - maybe I need to add various taxes and fees to the sticker price?

Do all bikes need an annual test? We have an annual MOT test in the UK to check brakes, lights etc..

We have something called an HPI check in the UK to check if a vehicle has been in an accident/written off - do you have the same in USA for bikes?

Route planning...

The "google" route to Truckee seems to favour via Las Vegas and then in the general direction of Death Valley. I am assuming it will be VERY hot in July and was wondering if there is a more sensible route and what you guys that live in hot climates wear when riding. I have heard tales of "cool vests"? Maybe just get up early in the morning? Is there a problem with animals leaping out in front of me or is this just an urban myth?

Does 400 miles a day seem reasonable? I have done a lot of long distance riding in the UK but not in hot weather.... we can only dream of hot weather!

Sorry if some of the questions are stooopid - I just want to try and "be prepared".

Thanks in advance.

John

UK

Why not just rent a F700GS (or 800) from MotoQuest in Anchorage? Seems to me that would address several questions. BC, Alberta, the Yukon are all pretty spectacular (with the Icefields Parkway particularly) but be prepared for lots of gravel in the many road construction areas and a RT type might not be your best choice, especially if you do the "real" Alaska and do the Dalton, Denali, Top of the World, etc. As a Brit you'll be amazed how wide open and BIG!! everything is up there. Definitely worth the effort any way you go...just my humble opinion.

Thanks Jim, I did consider renting and even shipping my bike across but I have decided that I like the idea of riding in the southern USA (warm weather!) so I intend to buy a bike and keep it rather than sell. It will be left with my son in Houston and I can fly over and ride whenever I can.

We are not planning on much "off road" in the "real" Alaska and will actively avoid the loose stuff where possible. I am told the ride up to Alaska is epic and it will not really matter if we only get as far as British Columbia.

I have driven a car from Canada to Houston, last year and loved it. USA is indeed a big place!

I would usually stay in Motels when with my wife but I am considering the camping option this time. Any thoughts?

aggieengineer

I took a look at the route that Google suggests, going through Phoenix, Las Vegas, and along the southern Nevada border. I would caution you to not underestimate the heat. I've seen temperatures over 46C both in Vegas and Phoenix. You will be looking at many miles of empty desert. Personally, I would avoid Interstate 95 in Nevada, and detour either north through the Albuquerque area, and perhaps southern Utah, or enter southern California and head north. Might be a good chance to see the Pacific Coast Highway. 400 mile days are easy to accomplish.

I'm located about 70 miles northwest of the Dallas area, and have pretty much anything required to maintain the R1200RT. We'd be happy to be of assistance, and my wife can fix you up with a cuppa tea and a Mint Imperial! PM me if need contact information.

I think having your Son buy the bike here in Houston, in his name, would fix a LOT of problems! You could have the bike well before you arrive, allows you to take time to find the right one. Insurance on you should be easy to confirm, and you should be able to get a copy of that binder showing you are covered. This method simplifies keeping the bike after the ride, it can be inspected yearly here, licensed yearly, and so forth. Most importantly, it could be sold by your Son with no problems should you choose to do that.

The bike and how it is set up will make all the difference. With stock seat and windshield 400 mile days are about all I would hope for. If you had a bike with good aftermarket seat and windshield, that figure will be much easier to average and can go up easily. While some can do a lot of miles in one or two days, extended days in the saddle are where ALL the weak spots show up!

Heat! I would recommend a more northerly route making your way toward I-40 in New Mexico. Higher elevations and latitude will make a lot of difference. More scenic route too. If you run I-10 west you will be in upper 90's to low 100's. HOT temps, high speed running, and for the most part not all that scenic. At a minimum get one of the cooling vests. You can also leave very early to beat the heat somewhat. Riding from 1pm on is really hot. Death Valley will be hot, but you can leave early and beat some of the heat there. It is a beautiful ride through there!

If you buy a bike here in your name, there will be 6.25% sales tax along with probably $200-$250 in other fees for registration. You will have to have insurance in hand to actually sign papers and buy the bike. Dealer will handle inspection if needed. There are "salvage" titles in the US for bikes that have been considered a total loss and then brought back. Most dealers will not sell salvage title bikes.

I live in Houston, at least a suburb. Starting in June and going through September, we have temps usually in the 90's. Can be 80 degrees at 6am, so not much relief from the heat. I will watch for your questions and help where I can.

Thanks guys for the very helpful information and kind offers - very much appreciated. :) I am very good with spanners but I will not be able to bring them all with me!

Some progress has been made and I have decided that a new bike may be my best option. I have spotted a few on Cycle trader which are old models (2015-2016)that must have been sat in dealers unsold for a while? They seem to be priced very competitively and I have been in touch with a couple of the sales people and discovered all about sales tax and registration. :(

It looks like my son will have to "buy" the bike and be the registered owner/keeper and that all seem ok but I am struggling to get my head around how to get it (or me) insured to ride it. In the UK the individual rider is insured for a specific bike but it appears that in the US the bike is insured and the insurance "follows" the bike? Is that correct?

I can get "tourist" motorbike insurance for 60 days but it appears to be very expensive and I would really like the bike to be insured even when stored (when I return to UK)

My son has a car license so I assume he cannot get motorcycle insurance with me as an additional driver?

When I apply online for insurance all is well until it asks for my US driving license number - which I do not have - I have a full UK motorcycle license... so no joy there!

Anyone have any ideas how I can get an annual policy at a reasonable cost in my circumstance?

Sorry to be a pain - I hate admin!

Regards

John

Be wary of online prices of new motorcycles. Many will add "dealer prep" fees that are completely unrealistic. These are over and above the taxes and fees I mentioned earlier and you will pay tax on these added fees.

Not sure if your Son not having a motorcycle endorsement ( that is what a motorcycle license typically is in the States, an added designation to a motor vehicle license showing approval for motorcycle privelidges ) will keep him from buying insurance. I think I know of owners that have bought bikes and then took the training courses to get a license. Your Son needs to call a couple insurance agencies and tell them what he needs. Assuming he buys the bike, and can list himself AND YOU as drivers on the policy, I think it will work. I would make SURE the insurance agency knows you do not have a US driver license but do have driving privileges ( I assume you have checked on that-your UK license honored here for a period of time? ). The motorcycle is insured here, the drivers are added. My Son is added as a permissible rider on my bikes for instance. If there is a lien ( bike is financed ) on the title you will be required to purchase insurance with liability, theft, and collision coverage along with medical coverage for other parties if accident is your fault.

Realshelby - thanks again. :) I have contacted my son and asked him to ring his car insurers ref myself being added to a new US motorcycle policy but having a UK license. Hopefully they will give a positive response! I can always fall back on the "tourist" policy if I have to! :(

Online prices- yes, I was a bit shocked when the final "drive out" price was revealed! In the UK the sticker price is pretty much what you pay... no tax to add but they are more expensive anyway!

My current ride is a 1200 RT and I love it but I am looking at something a bit lighter (and cheaper!) and have searched and searched for F700 - F800's but cannot find one I like and can afford. I rang a dealer in Texas about an F800 and he suggested a cheaper alternative - a Kawasaki Versys LT 650 (2015)- it is brand new zero mileage, hard luggage and much more affordable than the BMW's I have been looking at.

I have studied reviews and it seems like it may be suitable? I also thought it would be easier to sell at the end if I don't get on with it? I like the idea of a new bike - never had one before!

Anyone have any views/experience of this bike?

I would highly recommend looking at Suzuki V Strom DL 650's. New or used. Fairly common to find used ones with aftermarket seats and windshields as well as luggage in the $4500-$5500 range. Pretty hard to beat and considered a notch better on gravel roads than the Kawasaki. Quite reliable and capable of the riding you are going to do.

Is a new bike really a good idea?

Putting the trip on hold to deal with break in schedules would suck. Buy used and let someone else deal with the devaluation.

Putting the trip on hold to deal with break in schedules would suck. Buy used and let someone else deal with the devaluation.

You are probably right - I have discovered that the advertised prices are much lower than the ride away price by a $1000 on a $6600 advertised bike - so I may think again!

I thought sales tax was only 6.25% in Texas so I guess there are considerable extras! Are pre-owned bikes taxed as well or just new ones?

Edited by farmerboy
Everything has a sales tax. Same used or new.
From dealers, yes. I don't know about Texas, but Arizona has no tax on private party sales of vehicles.
Everything has a sales tax. Same used or new.
From dealers, yes. I don't know about Texas, but Arizona has no tax on private party sales of vehicles.

The Texas 6.25% motor vehicle tax is collected by dealers as a convenience. They "conveniently" charge $150 document fees for handling this, but that is another story. You can buy a motor vehicle and not pay this tax. But, you cannot get a new title or registration without paying it, dealer purchase or private purchase, at the Department of Motor Vehicles.

You are probably right - I have discovered that the advertised prices are much lower than the ride away price by a $1000 on a $6600 advertised bike - so I may think again!

I thought sales tax was only 6.25% in Texas so I guess there are considerable extras! Are pre-owned bikes taxed as well or just new ones?

I wrote earlier that there will be 6.25% tax and around $200-$250 in title, document, license fees. Any more is simply dealer add on ( goes to profit ).

It is my experience that almost without exception the really cheap prices shown on Cycle Trader and other advertising sites are simply bait to get you to call or come in. I have personally had them add over $1000 for dealer prep/destination fees on top of advertised price. So, buyer beware......

In Texas, if you pay $6000 for the bike, the total amount should be no more than $6,625 with all fees, taxes, license, etc.

Thanks everyone, the dealer has sent me a breakdown and the only "profit" item on it was dealer prep / rigging fee of $350. The rest was tax and registration. He said it was to cover putting the bike together, admin, battery acid, oil, fuel etc and after a bit of a chat he has agreed to reduce it by $100 or deliver it for free. The bike is already discounted by $2100 so I was encouraged to buy - so I did! Hope I have done the right thing and the bike is suitable? It seems to be quite a popular model and is well reviewed but it is too late now - the deed is done...

I am flying over to Houston on the 1st March for 2 weeks and I will need to put some miles on it (pre 1st service)so if anyone is going out for a ride I would appreciate some company:). I shall find a pic or two...

6653.jpg.a1b065b342ab21b73d99ea99c389a989.jpg

Edited by farmerboy
Good looking bike! Be sure to post when you get across the Pond.

Certainly will!

If all goes well I shall be picking it up from the dealer (a place called Lufkin?) on the 2nd March. Not sure how I shall get there but no doubt there is a bus.

Just a note regarding insurance if anyone else from the UK is reading this and needs cover with a UK license.

Progressive (https://www.progressive.com/)have no problems with a UK license - the online quote has an option for a foreign license and simply loads the premium when you get to the payment page. Ended up at $410 comprehensive cover with breakdown assist - so three times what I pay in the UK but pleased it is done anyway!

I did take the trouble to contact them to confirm that all is ok and they were fine about it. Good old America. :)

Check if it covers the portion you'll ride in Canada.

No experience to suggest it doesn't, but way back in the day...

I had to document a rental vehicle (know yours is not) with special insurance paperwork.

Just curious if anyone has had an issue w/coverage on that part of the trip?

If all goes well I shall be picking it up from the dealer (a place called Lufkin?) on the 2nd March. Not sure how I shall get there but no doubt there is a bus.

That's around 140 miles from Houston, depending on where you start from. March 2nd is a Thursday, I could probably break free to get you to Lufkin to pick up the bike. Bus rides would be....complicated! Someone that knows the area and customs might be a benefit.

Take him in the Shelby, that and Texas will be a good acclimation to the good ole USA!

And congrats on the bike, sounds like a good choice for what you're planning. Have encountered several guys tent camping off them and they all sounded pleased with their choice. ADVrider has a good subforum on farkles you might like.

That's around 140 miles from Houston, depending on where you start from. March 2nd is a Thursday, I could probably break free to get you to Lufkin to pick up the bike. Bus rides would be....complicated! Someone that knows the area and customs might be a benefit.

Truly humbled by the generosity of your kind offer. Thankyou! :wave:

I have just been talking to my son in Houston and he has arranged to have Friday afternoon off work so the pick up date has moved to Friday 3rd. I forgot that he needs to be there to sign some documents so I am all sorted thanks!

...... I have just googled "shelby".... wow! I assume you have one? I am a bit of a wannabe mechanic/engineer and love engines and machinery of all types - the older the better!

Check if it covers the portion you'll ride in Canada.

No experience to suggest it doesn't, but way back in the day...

I had to document a rental vehicle (know yours is not) with special insurance paperwork.

Just curious if anyone has had an issue w/coverage on that part of the trip?

Oh dear! Forgot to ask them about Canada!! :dopeslap:

The policy does not start until 2nd March so I shall contact them to check. Sooooo much admin!

edit - just called them and I need to request an ID card for Canada! Thanks for mentioning it...

Edited by farmerboy

No problem.

We had a trip that ended up requiring a rental vehicle from Florida thru Canada, back to USA.

Had to get the documents at the Hartford, Conn. airport as palces South didn't have a clue.

Looking forward to the tale and pics.

:wave:

I shall ride up to Truckee (nr Lake Tahoe), meet my pal and ride north......

Hi John, We corresponded during the early stages of your trip planning last year. I live in Anchorage.

If you haven't already found it, The Milepost travel guide is a valuable resource for an Alaska Hwy journey. The book has a lot of info, but may be too big to haul with you. But their web site has a lot of free and valuable info also: LINK

One stop I consider to be a MUST on this trip is Liard Hot Springs in northern British Columbia -- near the Yukon border. You walk about a half mile on a boardwalk to the hot springs. The site is beautiful, and a dip in the hot water feels great after long days riding. It's about 1100 miles from Anchorage, and there's a provincial campground there. (Watch for bison on the highway in this area.)

When do you expect to be in Anchorage? I'll be out of state July 1 - 21, but would enjoy meeting up when you get here. Let me know if we can be of assistance.

Ken

Cheers Ken, I will arrive in Truckee (to meet my riding pal) on the 14th July and we will probably arrive in Anchorage at the end of July or early August (ish!)

It would be great if we can meet up. I shall make a point of updating progress on here if appropriate?

I will certainly check out the hot springs and if you have any guidance ref a good route I would appreciate it.

Regards

John