IGNORED

Roads that have tolls question..

farmerboy

I have driven once before in Houston (I am a Brit) and I am aware that the hire car had a "tag" thing which automatically paid the tolls.

If I get one of these for my bike in Houston will it work on all toll roads or is each state different?

If I just ride through the "tag" lane, without a tag, what happens. Do I get a fine or just a bill? Bike will be registered in Texas.

EZTag, the Houston area toll tag name, is good throughout Texas. But probably not in other states although I have not been sent any notices about that...

If you go through a lane that is marked EZtag and don't have one, you will get a letter ( actually your Son will as the bike is registered to him ) in the mail with what amounts to a fine. $18.50 strikes me as correct. For each violation which can get pricey. Problem is, and I would LOVE to rant about this, is that most of our toll roads now do NOT have toll booths where you can pay at each toll booth to use the road. Don't have a toll tag? Not welcome here, you will be fined.

Your Son can go to an EZtag store, or order online, an EZtag for the bike. Make sure they know it is for a motorcycle, it will be a rectangular plastic device. It works even mounted in a glove box or trunk. Cost is $10 for the tag, and they like to have a credit card to charge under the account name. Usually takes about $40 or so to put against the account plus the $10. Then you are worry free about what roads you can, or cannot access.

Edited by realshelby

Different in different states.

Some general types can work in multiple states.

I'd look at your route and see what transponders/companies are for the various roads.

Most likely you'll be doing the toll booth thing, but I avoid thpse roads as much as possible.

Or.... you can do what I did the last time I went through Houston on my bike.

Just say screw it and boogie on through on the toll lanes tucked in tight with the traffic. Never heard from anyone. Did it both directions. Hee haa!

GT

Yeah, its probably hit and miss. A certain inhabitant of San Antonio and I crashed the Atlanta 'pay to play' lane without issue coming back from a BMW gathering in Georgia a couple of years back. But its all subject to change.

We have been through tolls in the last six months in California, Colorado Texas and Mexico. The ONLY place we have seen actual toll booth attendants was in Mexico. All other roads were electronic toll. California tracked us down by our license plate. Toll was more expensive than if we had a tag, but not much. In Texas, near Austin at least, the toll signs listed price for tag holders and non tag holders; the price wasn't that much higher. The tolls from Denver in November have not shown up in our mailbox yet. The ones from California found us in just a few weeks.

I guess what I'm saying is maybe get a tag for Texas if you will be using a lot of toll roads there, but don't worry about other states. You won't be going through many toll roads between Texas and Alaska anyway - there are some in Denver Colorado,some in California and a few in Washington and that's about it.

I guess what I'm saying is maybe get a tag for Texas if you will be using a lot of toll roads there, but don't worry about other states. You won't be going through many toll roads between Texas and Alaska anyway - there are some in Denver Colorado,some in California and a few in Washington and that's about it.

The problem for him is that he plans to keep the bike in Houston. Coming back occasionally. The direction Houston is going is Toll roads or we won't have roads. All of Beltway 8, Grand Parkway, Fort Bend toll road, Hardy toll road are pretty much toll on every mile. Most are NOT equipped with toll booths now. Meaning there is NO way to pay as you go. Which means out of state drivers simply have no legitimate way to use these roads.I have a problem with that. While I-10 goes through Houston East/West, I-45 goes North/South, I-69/rt 59 goes sort of north/south, you are very limited by using just these non toll routes.

Edited by realshelby

The problem for him is that he plans to keep the bike in Houston. Coming back occasionally. The direction Houston is going is Toll roads or we won't have roads. All of Beltway 8, Grand Parkway, Fort Bend toll road, Hardy toll road are pretty much toll on every mile. Most are NOT equipped with toll booths now. Meaning there is NO way to pay as you go. Which means out of state drivers simply have no legitimate way to use these roads.I have a problem with that. While I-10 goes through Houston East/West, I-45 goes North/South, I-69/rt 59 goes sort of north/south, you are very limited by using just these non toll routes.

Understood - that's why I suggested getting a tag for Texas (tag meaning toll transponder thingamabob) if he were going to be riding there. I still don't think there's a point to trying to get such a device for each state that has a system - I figure if they want to collect money from me they should either put a booth operator there or have a system to find me via my license plate captured on photo (which is what CA does, and I assume other states have that capability as well).

(My preference of course is that that don't have a system and just let me ride for free...)

Death and (road) taxes.... nothing is more certain!

I may try the "tuck in close to a truck" technique!

No... I am happy paying to use a road (ish!) I just want to avoid being fined for some sort of offence. It sounds like they just send you the bill at a slightly higher rate. I shall get the tag thing for Houston and see how it goes for the rest.

I am learning a lot - you are a nice bunch - thankyou.

In Florida it is $57.50 ticket, plus fees, plus cost of toll.

If not paid w/in 45 days a hold is placed on your registration so new tags not until all paid.

In Florida it is $57.50 ticket, plus fees, plus cost of toll.

If not paid w/in 45 days a hold is placed on your registration so new tags not until all paid.

Tell me more about this, because we'll be there at some point. Are you saying there is no option to use the toll roads without a transponder? In most places we have been they still have lanes marked as "tag only" (ezpass or whatever that state's version of the tag is) and lanes marked as "cash" or something like that. We have used those lanes, except now there's no one in the booths, or the booths are gone. I assume these places, like CA, do plate photos and then send you the bill thanks to the cooperation of your home state's DMV/DOL whatever.

Are there lanes on Florida toll roads you can use without a "tag" or are you just not supposed to use them at all? Any provision for out of state travelers (you still get gobs of tourists down there, right?)?

I tried doing some googling, but it's a little overwhelming not really knowing which roads are which (a lot of the toll roads have "names" which don't really tell me where they are). I did find an article with a link to a page by your DOT that supposedly sums up all the electronic toll info for the state, but it's 404!

Edited by szurszewski
In case you travel outside of Texas EZ Pass is accepted From Illinois to Maine and down to North Carolina.

Map and info here

That's great info - have to say I am amazed that you guys don't just have one system for the whole country. It must be a nightmare for lorry drivers!

In case you travel outside of Texas EZ Pass is accepted From Illinois to Maine and down to North Carolina.

Map and info here

That's great info - have to say I am amazed that you guys don't just have one system for the whole country. It must be a nightmare for lorry drivers!

Well, as you know, it's a pretty big country. Also we have some founding rules designed to keep the federal government from controlling the actions of the states. I'm not trying to be political, as I don't want to run afoul of the no-politics policy here, but as a factual thing most commerce within a state is up to the state and not the federal government. As such, while we do have "federal" interstate highways, much of what happens on them including law enforcement and such, is up to the state each portion of the highway is in.

edit: and, apart from the northeastern states, and some other major metro areas, having toll roads at all is relatively new to the USA.

Edited by szurszewski

We have toll booth attendants most/all places, for now.

But a SunPass can be bought at a convenience store on the roads (at least the Florida Turnpike).

Mostly for getting around cities, otherwise the Interslabs are plentiful.

But I live in N Fla and avoid that other world and when travelling by mc almost always avoid slad etc/

We drove down from Ohio to Key West a few years back. No EzPass/Sun Pass.

Generally, north of Miami the toll booths were manned, with separate lanes for EzPass and cash. The usual nuisance, slowing down, waiting in line, finding the fee or waiting for change and the dangers of multiple lanes merging back into two, re-passing that semi going two mph under the limit in the fast lane. I'm sure skipping the toll booth without an Ez-Pass is illegal and fine-able.

South of Miami, no booths, but sensors and cameras to record plates. Just continue driving as normal. A few weeks after we got home, a bill appeared in the mail for the tolls. I recall a web link to view pictures of the car with time and location. The bill was only a little more than the posted tolls, and payable online. No fines. If all the toll roads were like this, it would be much less of a hassle than obtaining an EzPass in advance for such limited use.

Edited by lkraus

Yes.

FWIW, the "cost" of the toll using a SunPass is less than the posted amount.

So if it is a lot of use, cost effective to get the Pass rather than pay the "extra" fee added to the posted toll amounts.

YMMV

If I just ride through the "tag" lane, without a tag, what happens. Do I get a fine or just a bill? Bike will be registered in Texas.

In Illinois, you may not have a choice. Some of the toll plazas are unmanned. They have a website to pay the toll. If you don't pay it, they'll send you a fine a couple of months later if the camera catches your plate number. They have good cameras. DAMHIK.

In Illinois, you may not have a choice. Some of the toll plazas are unmanned. They have a website to pay the toll. If you don't pay it, they'll send you a fine a couple of months later if the camera catches your plate number. They have good cameras. DAMHIK.

We don't have a website where you can go and just pay the tolls in Texas. You simply get the citation in the mail for say $18.50 per toll. That toll, paid via tag, might be anywhere from $.35 to $1.50. Quite a difference. Blow through a dozen or so at $18.50 each and, well it adds up. And yes, they have very good cameras.

Well it will be interesting to see what shows up in our mailbox as we went through several toll points riding into Austin a week or so ago...

interesting thing on the tolls in Houston and Austin...if you are on a bike in Austin, and you just happened to hug the right most white line as you go through the toll booth, you will notice there is no sensor. With or without a toll tag you will not be billed.

Interesting thing about the Houston Toll Roads......if you just happen to go right down the middle stripe that separates the two lanes...well same as Austin.

So I'm told ;)

Edited by Skywagon

An FYI for some of the new photo-based systems with no way to pay at the tollbooth: for the Golden Gate bridge and some of the few SoCal toll roads, if you go online and pay your toll within a short time (like 48 hours, I think), it's the posted amount, but if you wait for them to mail you a notice, it's a higher amount. In the case of the toll roads, if they have to send you a notice, it's a LOT higher, and they consider it a violation, though they'll waive the extra penalties for a first offense. If you're in the middle of a trip, it is, of course, very easy to forget to go and pay your toll online.

I have no idea whether this applies in Houston.

The cameras on the GG bridge had no trouble reading my MC license plate.

I just looked up the Houston toll roads. Apparently many are EZ Tag ONLY. If you go without, here's the policy:

"Mistakes happen. If you happened to drive a Harris County-operated toll road without an EZ TAG, you may pay a toll violation that has not yet been invoiced through the Missed a Toll process. This may only be used once every 365 days. The toll amount you owe is typically available within 72 hours of your trip, but in some cases may take longer.

Failure to pay a toll at the time of the transaction is a violation and you may be cited by law enforcement! Failure to pay a toll may also result in additional fees and penalties.

Toll violation events that have been invoiced and mailed to you cannot be paid through the Missed a Toll process. Please check to see if you have any outstanding violation invoices and resolve these today."

So, do it more than once in a year, and you pay at violation rates! That's really kind of insane. What about tourists with their own vehicles? I guess they can't use the toll roads.

Source: Missed a Toll?

Bill...when I lived in CA the bay bridge was free on a bike if you were in a commuter/HOV lane if I remember correctly. Is that still the case or are bikes charges just like cars now?

interesting thing on the tolls in Houston and Austin...if you are on a bike in Austin, and you just happened to hug the right most white line as you go through the toll booth, you will notice there is no sensor. With or without a toll tag you will not be billed.

Interesting thing about the Houston Toll Roads......if you just happen to go right down the middle stripe that separates the two lanes...well same as Austin.

So I'm told ;)

Well, I have tried that. It may work sometimes or on certain vehicles ( maybe depends on where you have the toll tag device mounted? ). I have tried it and then gone to the EZ tag website and looked up my current charges. They were there just like if I had ridden down the middle of the lane.

To be honest, I have yet to try going through a toll booth on the rear wheel only.......whereas the license plate would be most difficult to read......

Don't try using vinyl to alter the plate...

:/

Bill,

Houston, tourists...

:rofl:

Seriously is a flocked system.

Should all use the same transducers (or whatever they are) nationwide. Individual entities could still collect for you usage.

Insane method in place, serves no real purpose to have different ones.

This, more than other issues should be addressed by those we can't mention.

:lurk:

Edited by tallman
Bill...when I lived in CA the bay bridge was free on a bike if you were in a commuter/HOV lane if I remember correctly. Is that still the case or are bikes charges just like cars now?

My experience this summer is that my motorcycle got a notice for toll, just like my car.

just wanted to add a bit of info. Most of these states use a License Plate Recognition or capturing system to grab a photo of the offending vehicle going through with no tag/transponder, which is why the car owner gets the citation.

You might get lucky and not get "seen" with a very old, rusty plate, but the technology I worked with captures in Infrared (which is why they work at night) and had no problem doing screen captures in excess of 150mph. Ok, maybe if you have a Corvette then.......

RPG

Lone_RT_rider
Yeah, its probably hit and miss. A certain inhabitant of San Antonio and I crashed the Atlanta 'pay to play' lane without issue coming back from a BMW gathering in Georgia a couple of years back. But its all subject to change.

I seem to remember a certain moderator and I tucking in traffic in Toronto where there may, or may not have been cameras for tolls. Of course we were only riding closely to improve our fuel efficiency. ;):dopeslap::rofl:

Edited by Lone_RT_rider
  • 2 weeks later...
Bill_Walker

I don't know. I've never crossed the Bay Bridge on a bike. I didn't ride when I lived up there, so my bike crossings have been on trips. IIRC, the next-to-last time I crossed the Golden Gate, before they had photo tolling, MCs were free in the HOV lane. I assume that's because we tend to take too long to stop and pay tolls. With photo tolling, no such problem, so they're back to charging.

Bill_Walker
Think charge is one way only. No booths now so billed by mail last summer.

To my knowledge, all the Bay Area bridges have been tolls one way only for decades. I suppose they could have changed that with the advent of electronic tolling, but with no toll plazas on which to mount the equipment, why would they bother?