IGNORED

Aftermarket fork seals - 1150RT

waynerd

Hello All,

In my search for instructions on fork seal replacement, I was surprised (and somewhat pleased) to discover aftermarket fork seal kits - about 1/4 the cost of the BMW seals. Does anyone have any experience with, or advice regarding, any of these non-BMW seal kits? Not much of a deal if I'm swapping them every couple of years.

Thanks much.

I've used both the aftermarket (moose?) ones and the BMW ones. They feel the same in hand and I've had no problems with the aftermarket ones.

Thanks szurszewski. Yes, I've found and Moose Racing, All Balls Racing, and Pyramid Parts brands. Obviously these are a common size used in a lot of fork designs. I appreciate the feedback. I'll give 'em a go.

Thanks PAS. I did see the Chris Harris video - only got a little sea-sick from the camera action :P. I may go the full removal route just to get a good flush of the forks. As I've said before, I'm not working for shop rate. And, even though the past few weeks have offered incredible riding weather, I know that winter will return to the Denver area one of these days, and there will be some downtime for wrenching. Thanks again.

My 1999 RT, purchased in February 2008 @ ~65,000, developed a fairly severe fork seal leak within 500 miles of purchase. I removed the tubes, cleaned them thoroughly, then cleaned the seals with 91% isopropynol. Flushed the sliders, and refilled with a 90/10 mix of 10 wt fork oil and Gunk Transeal. Approaching 125,000 miles, absolutely no sign of leakage.

$_1.JPG