IGNORED

Restore or not restore

Gru

Hello all, new to this forum. Name is Phil. I have a 05 R 1150 RS, I purchased it From a good friend of the original owner. She (the original owner) has passed away, she had put 99,000 miles on the bike. Done very good maintenance on it, and had ridden it as it should be ridden. The paint is OK, but has some rock chips and scratches, nothing bad. Now it runs fine, very low oil usage, no rattles, or noises. I have changed all the fluids, and greased as necessary, adjusted valves. What do Y'all think, should I have it painted, and overhauled. Now has 102,000 miles. Or should I leave it as it is now? Phil

Pretty much 'leave as is' . Current mileage, if it running fine as you've indicated, is not an issue. It'll go many more miles. Paint is up to you, but given your description, an investment in new paint won't be financially sound.

Ride it and enjoy it as it is !

There are graphic options.

link

Without a picture/descrition of which color scheme it is and actual issues, hard to tell.

Not a ROI choice down the road, but we aren't holding your wallet.

;)

I wasw always partial to solid scheme, but the gray/black/yellow is nice.

It was the last year of production for that model.

bmw-r-1150-rs-2005-311173.jpg

Carrying the yellow over to the saddlebags would be better, IMO.

If you/friend can do for cost(ish), well...

Show us the bike.

Some of the late RS's had multi-color or graphic looks.

Edited by tallman

Some nice graphics in that link, Tim! :thumbsup:

Welcome Gru, nice bike for sure but be careful you don't get sucked into the trap of fixing one cosmetic issue and then that highlighting the next. Could get very costly if OCD is in the room. :grin:

Pat

It is possible new paint could cause the other components to look even worse and might encourage you to dig deeper into the resto. $$$

Part of the pleasure I had with my old rt was not having to worry about scuffs and bruises.

Just ride it bro!

Yea, paint chips and blue pipes are a sign of life.

Just detail the crap out of it, even if you have to have it professionally done, then you can pay best tribute to your friend by keeping it clean and riding it.

Fix anything that's worn, replace the windscreen if it's crazed, repaint the rocker covers if needed, new peg and shift rubbers, touch up the sidestand, and enjoy.

Tallman just showed a picture of the bike I have. Thanks for the advice, will keep it original, and as I do with all my bikes, keep it clean, except when using it.