BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#982199 - 03/15/17 04:07 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: greiffster]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
I have been across the Cherohala so many times I lost track ... 20, 30? I don't know. However, I can't believe I never noticed those poles nor heard anything about these flying squirrels until you told me about them. Quite fascinating!

Craig
11 R1200GSA (aka Big Bird)
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca
#982200 - 03/15/17 04:14 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: TyTass
I have been across the Cherohala so many times I lost track ... 20, 30? I don't know. However, I can't believe I never noticed those poles nor heard anything about these flying squirrels until you told me about them. Quite fascinating!

Perhaps you should slow down a skosh smirk

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#982201 - 03/15/17 04:25 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA

This is Terri and me on the Cherohala ... photo by Killboy or US-129 Photos. The was taken during START 2015 in Dillard GA. If I recall correctly we were riding with Shawn (Lone_RT_Rider) and his SO, and I believe Dan (S.O.B.). If I forgot anyone, I apologize.

Photo companies like these set up initially on the Dragon. KillBoy was first, but then came others. They can also sometimes be seen on other roads like the Cherohala and Hwy 215 Parkway Rd. They set up their various 'locations' on the roadsides, put up their signs, and take a short series picture of most everyone who rides by. Sometimes they can't capture everyone if a long line or there traffic coming from the opposite direction.

Later they post the day's shots on their websites, which are usually pretty easy to find even if you failed to remember which was which, on which curve. If you like your pics you can buy copies from them.

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca
#982202 - 03/15/17 04:26 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: greiffster]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
Originally Posted By: greiffster

Perhaps you should slow down a skosh smirk

It's not the speed at all (bc I'm really not fast). It's the lack of processing power! dopeslap

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

#982204 - 03/15/17 04:34 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA

A shot of kinsley and me on the Dragon from during START 2014 Robbinsville. The only reason I managed to be in this pic behind Ken is that we'd had just passed a line of slower vehicles so I had been able to catch up again. I'm quite certain that one or perhaps two curves after this pic was taken, I lost sight of him again.

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

#982224 - 03/15/17 09:22 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
Endobobdds Offline
Endobobdds  Offline

Washington, DC

A shot of kinsley and me on the Dragon from during START 2014 Robbinsville. The only reason I managed to be in this pic behind Ken is that we'd had just passed a line of slower vehicles so I had been able to catch up again. I'm quite certain that one or perhaps two curves after this pic was taken, I lost sight of him again.

That is a nice picture of you and Ken! I hope these routes and pictures will motivate a few more BMWST new Board members to join us at this years UN! thumbsup

Bob Smyth
K1200RS ('02 Black)
email: endobobdds@gmail.com
#982316 - 03/16/17 07:37 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: Endobobdds]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
I shot a good bit of video that day. The idea was to stay really close to him, because as you may know GoPro's fisheye lens makes s it all but impossible to discern who is in front unless you are really, really close.

In the end I wound up with a whole lot of video of something that kind of looked like it might be a motorcycle somewhere out in the distance (on straightaways, of course). dopeslap

There were times that he followed me (poor bastage), like going the other way on the Dragon. Let me just say, not only could I never pull away from him, I think he managed to get in frame on a few of the tighter curves, so close he was to me. He'll deny it, but it's true! I swear! whistle

The video was pretty damned useless for Ken's purposes, but the few moments we were close did a great job of illustrating to me a much better way of riding.

Joking aside, that was a great day of riding. Ken showed me and taught me a lot that I'm still working on.

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

#982317 - 03/16/17 07:50 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
Here's a shot I love of the Dragon.

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

#982322 - 03/16/17 08:51 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
UN_XVI - Maggie Way (104)

[Rod Stewart, 1971]

Maggie Valley is the site of many BMWST events in the SE; Blue Ridge Rendezvous events (Lone_RT_Rider & Matts_12GS), FART/START events (Kinsley, TyTass, & Workin’ Them Angels), as well as several ad hoc events. Although El Paseo events (David & Stretchmark) weren't technically in Maggie Valley, Cherokee is practically the same area and it was THE original SE event.

Because of these events, many a current member on this side of the Big Muddy have been enticed away from aimless, solo riding, or riding with other groups/clubs by “the love” on display during these BMWST events. The love of motorcycles, fantastic scenery, countless technical roads, and last but definitely not least … fellowship with kindred souls (and more than a few goof-balls).

However, the nostalgia of riding here is not for the SE Crew alone. If you can afford some time from the route, stop by Wheels Thru Time motorcycle museum to get a serious dose of nostalgia. Please note that viewing the entire collection can take a while, so you will want to plan accordingly. Keep in mind that before the route has you taking lunch in Hot Springs, The Rattler (Hwy 209, one of the region’s longest set of twisties) beckons, so don’t dawdle too long in yesteryear.

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

#982323 - 03/16/17 08:52 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
Kinsley Offline
Kinsley  Offline

ATL and to the Right

There were times that he followed me (poor bastage), like going the other way on the Dragon. Let me just say, not only could I never pull away from him, I think he managed to get in frame on a few of the tighter curves, so close he was to me. He'll deny it, but it's true! I swear! whistle

The video was pretty damned useless for Ken's purposes, but the few moments we were close did a great job of illustrating to me a much better way of riding.

Joking aside, that was a great day of riding. Ken showed me and taught me a lot that I'm still working on.

I will only admit that the curves were tight and I was late braking bike
You were pretty tired at the end of that long day getting there, so it was unfair to expect you to be at your peak riding ability. I did enjoy discussing proper lines for safety and efficiency, something not covered in RideSmart.

www.BetterCoverage.net
www.insleyimages.com

"Ride fast enough that you can't take your mind off riding, but not fast enough to worry about crashing"
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  EffBee